Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

would you prefer apple..

• Reduce performance to increase battery life

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Optimise for performance even as battery capacity declines

Votes: 89 74.2%

• Total voters

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
I usually keep my iPhones for a full 5 years and appreciate the fact that Apple provides me with system and security updates throughout the product's entire life. I am happy to pay the relatively high upfront cost to have a device that I can count on to work for me for half a decade without having to micromanage every little system decision along the way. Despite the limits imposed by physics, I truly appreciate the current state of battery technology - it has always been a rather black art to manage miniaturized mobile power, and have not forgotten what a luxury it is to have a pocket size computer always at the ready. I fully support Apple's power management decision with overloaded degraded batteries to slowdown my iPhone rather than to let it shutdown.

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
I hear you all preaching this nonsense but I’m yet to see any evidence that supports any of it. Have been using Android since it’s birth (and so have my friends), I’m yet to hear about anyone ever having a security issue. Meanwhile Apple is sneaking in malware that slows down your devices. Whipe your eyes.
+1^
Most people think Android means Samsung and Samsung actually gives android a bad rap. Google security updates their phones monthly. And as for iPhone updates I wish I didn't have the latest as 11.2 is what brought this whole ticking time bomb of a sh!te sandwich to my iPhone 7 anyway.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Neither. Removable battery.

Or Apple could at least give you the option to power save. An option for either slowdown or full speed with shutdown.

Reactions: WinkWink726

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Removable battery, FTW!

I prefer an option for a power saving switch. Options.

Apple has never been about choice. Apple is all about compromise and control over choice and convenience.

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
+1^
Most people think Android means Samsung and Samsung actually gives android a bad rap. Google security updates their phones monthly. And as for iPhone updates I wish I didn't have the latest as 11.2 is what brought this whole ticking time bomb of a sh!te sandwich to my iPhone 7 anyway.
Google is the only one that updates their phones monthly and they have very little market share.
[doublepost=1514007713][/doublepost]
I hear you all preaching this nonsense but I’m yet to see any evidence that supports any of it. Have been using Android since it’s birth (and so have my friends), I’m yet to hear about anyone ever having a security issue. Meanwhile Apple is sneaking in malware that slows down your devices. Whipe your eyes.
The only Android phone worth buying is Google. Otherwise you end up using Touchpiss or LaG skins that degrade performance within months of buying the phones. Had plenty of Korean Android phones, the skins are poorly written and in the case of Samshit comes with bloatware. Not too mention being stuck with ugly carrier branding and having carrier bloatware on 5he phone. Much more Android security holes much much much more. You won’t hear of a security whole, but the software is completely full of them. None of them get patches and support is gone within 2 years including phones that were designed by Google. I am not preaching the nonsense it’s on every single tech website. Why do you think Google attempts to fix security wholes every single month and only on their own Pixel phones? Samsung occasionally fixes them, Sony, HTC and LG don’t.
[doublepost=1514007793][/doublepost]
Removable battery, FTW!

I prefer an option for a power saving switch. Options.

Apple has never been about choice. Apple is all about compromise and control over choice and convenience.
No such switch on any phone and removable batteries are dead. Google and Apple have low power mode.

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
Google is the only one that updates their phones monthly and they have very little market share.

So buy a Google phone, done. Quality products don't always mean more market share. Problem is most people wanting android just like the Samsung bling and most wouldn't know if their phone was slowing down or not.
Samsungs giant advertising machine recruits their cut of the market share quite easily.
Read someplace Google doesn't care about selling lots of phones they are more about advancing their AI capabilities and technique and making it better.
Apple has a steady fan base who keep coming back no matter what as they do make a very good quality product that is simple to use for the uninitiated consumer who doesn't care about customizations just a good phone that is reliable, until it slows down anyway, who will now wonder if they need a new phone before they actually really need one.
It must be a pretty small group percentage wise who actually know much about the devices they use and most surely are simply swayed by the Phone store front man whether he's pitching Apple or Android.
I think removable/replaceable batteries need to make a comeback. Would solve a lot of problems.

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
So buy a Google phone, done. Quality products don't always mean more market share. Problem is most people wanting android just like the Samsung bling and most wouldn't know if their phone was slowing down or not.
Samsungs giant advertising machine recruits their cut of the market share quite easily.
Read someplace Google doesn't care about selling lots of phones they are more about advancing their AI capabilities and technique and making it better.
Apple has a steady fan base who keep coming back no matter what as they do make a very good quality product that is simple to use for the uninitiated consumer who doesn't care about customizations just a good phone that is reliable, until it slows down anyway, who will now wonder if they need a new phone before they actually really need one.
It must be a pretty small group percentage wise who actually know much about the devices they use and most surely are simply swayed by the Phone store front man whether he's pitching Apple or Android.
I think removable/replaceable batteries need to make a comeback. Would solve a lot of problems.
All batteries are replaceable most users aren’t aware that you can replace a battery in a device that’s sealed up. You just have to find a repair shop or YouTube. Most manufacturers don’t want too mention that because of lost sales of new phones.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I replace my own phone batteries -- with iPhones in particular, it is really quite easy. I'd much rather do that than have my phone throttled.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
I prefer getting a new battery over a slow iPhone.

No one prefers a slow phone. But Apple never told customers to replace battery if you want speeds to return to factory setttings.
[doublepost=1514009909][/doublepost]
Question:

If this was such a popular feature, why would Apple not mention it in the keynote?

I found out via REDDIT for god sake.

This is what apple fanboys aren’t getting. The issue isn’t getting a battery replacement. It’s that they never told us they slowed down the iPhone as the battery degraded. They hid it from their customers.

A simple message popping up saying ” Your iPhone will now slow down as the battery has %30 wear. Visit an authorized Apple repair shop to replace battery” would have sufficed.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
For people who think we have to choose between slow iPhones and random shut downs, ask yourself this: Why?

Because that’s the reality of the situation?
[doublepost=1514011635][/doublepost]
No one prefers a slow phone. But Apple never told customers to replace battery if you want speeds to return to factory setttings.
[doublepost=1514009909][/doublepost]

This is what apple fanboys aren’t getting. The issue isn’t getting a battery replacement. It’s that they never told us they slowed down the iPhone as the battery degraded. They hid it from their customers.

A simple message popping up saying ” Your iPhone will now slow down as the battery has %30 wear. Visit an authorized Apple repair shop to replace battery” would have sufficed.

Can you imagine the uproar and accusations of planned obsolescence if Apple did that?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Shutdown please.

I can turn on Low Power Mode if I want. I can't stop forced throttling.

Reactions: Hal~9000

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Shutdown please.

I can turn on Low Power Mode if I want. I can't stop forced throttling.
Assuming Low Power Mode would avoid shutdowns, otherwise you are still faced with a device that can suddenly unexpectedly be dead perhaps in the middle of you doing something or just in your pocket or purse without you even realizing it for some time.

Reactions: bobob

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
My preference is that they replace the defective iPhone batteries, not cover it up with a “software fix.”

Batteries degrade. I think it is exactly comments like these why Apple hasn’t just come out with a more complicated explanation as many people simply wouldn’t understand why this is happening.

Reactions: bobob

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Because that’s the reality of the situation?
[doublepost=1514011635][/doublepost]

Can you imagine the uproar and accusations of planned obsolescence if Apple did that?

There’s an uproar now because Apple failed to tell us they slowed down phones as batteries degraded.

Telling a customer to replace a battery is different than telling them to buy a new phone. Most consumers don’t mind being told to buy a new battery. We buy batteries for cars all the time.

Or how about Apple give their customers a choice for once. When battery gets low they’ll be asked if they want to slow down the CPU or not.

Reactions: Martyimac

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
There’s an uproar now because Apple failed to tell us they slowed down phones as batteries degraded.

Telling a customer to replace a battery is different than telling them to buy a new phone. Most consumers don’t mind being told to buy a new battery. We buy batteries for cars all the time.

Or how about Apple give their customers a choice for once. When battery gets low they’ll be asked if they want to slow down the CPU or not.

I don't think giving customers the option of slowing down the CPU or having their phones crash is an option that Apple should give. If the choice is between a slower phone or a crashing/shutting down phone, the only choice is slower, clearly. A crashing phone is no good to anybody.

I haven't seen any evidence of Apple telling customers to replace their phones instead of replacing the battery. Surely it's the customers choice as to which avenue they choose?

What Apple should do is advise users when their battery needs replacing (think of some sort of inbuilt Coconut Battery type scenario, but with more information as to whether the state of the battery is impacting the performance of the device).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Batteries degrade. I think it is exactly comments like these why Apple hasn’t just come out with a more complicated explanation as many people simply wouldn’t understand why this is happening.
There's certainly that.

At the same time, if this kind of thing happens to those who have batteries that haven't really degraded or degraded noticeably faster than they really should have (under typical use), then there can certainly be something more to it all than just typical battery degradation.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Removable battery.

No. Apple is not all going to sudden offer removable batteries in their iPhones. That's not the type of methodology they have and it certainly isn't going to have them change their hardware aspects with removable batteries in the future because of this.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Removable battery

No, they won't. Do you honestly think they're going to change the hardware designs to offer removable batteries for future iPhones? That would change everything about the iPhone, repair guidelines , warranty, battery replacement programs, Apple Care, ect. That Will not happen.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
No, they won't. Do you honestly think they're going to change the hardware designs to offer removable batteries for future iPhones? That would change everything about the iPhone, repair guidelines , warranty, battery replacement programs, Apple Care, ect. That Will not happen.

Plus a removable battery won't help the situation. Removable batteries also degrade. It's not like they are a different technology to a non-removable battery. Both would need to be replaced when they've reached the end of their usable life.

Reactions: 44267547

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
My thread and poll were merged into this thread, but I prefered my straightforward poll options:

Slowdown or Shutdown.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
The part that all of this is in relation to isn't really about worse battery life as much as it is about essentially battery instability when devices would suddenly unexpectedly just shut down (even when it doesn't look like battery is low). That part isn't something that a user can really solve or even really plan for or deal with all that much given that pretty much at any point their device can just turn off in the middle of them doing something or might already be off in their pocket or purse when they don't realize it and think it's on. That's fairly different than just worse battery life and something that people wouldn't really put up with even if they wanted to sort of just "deal with it".

Yeah this is clearly an issue where they didn't want to deal with a massive recall, and so they unethically slipped this "fix" into the OS, and were likely going to tell all legacy device owners with shut down issues to upgrade. I still think it's bogus, and to think that the "side effect" of the whole situation could be a throttled CPU is mind boggling. Certainty either depressing, looking at how they've been throttling performance in cases where the battery is struggling, or simply ignoring the fact that they have a huge battery issue.

I've had apple devices with shutdown issues in the past (or something linked to voltage, I can just tell), but it's typically a minor hassle. I would never want my device throttled to avoid a shut down. That's just me though. Of course the customer who doesn't know anything is happening to begin with doesn't have any issue....

pixel_junkie

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2015
The only Android phone worth buying is Google. Otherwise you end up using Touchpiss or LaG skins that degrade performance within months of buying the phones. Had plenty of Korean Android phones, the skins are poorly written and in the case of Samshit comes with bloatware. Not too mention being stuck with ugly carrier branding and having carrier bloatware on 5he phone. Much more Android security holes much much much more. You won’t hear of a security whole, but the software is completely full of them. None of them get patches and support is gone within 2 years including phones that were designed by Google. I am not preaching the nonsense it’s on every single tech website. Why do you think Google attempts to fix security wholes every single month and only on their own Pixel phones? Samsung occasionally fixes them, Sony, HTC and LG don’t.

It's ironic that you talk about performance degradation of Android over time when the very same brand you're so convinced is superior got busted for doing it on purpose, came out and admitted it and told the world they won't stop.

Otherwise, I'm willing to bet it's been a long long while since you've used a Samsung but you speak with such authority that someone might believe you. Yes, do go and look around on all the carrier sites, go to BestBuy, Youtube and watch the highest ranked phone tech channels - you will see that the top Android phones perform very very well and get picked for best device of the year all over the place and that is a fact The votes come from actual users so if any of the stuff you claim was true, things would have been different.

Reactions: RickInHouston

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
My guess is that’s what they’ll do, put a little message or indicator light somewhere that your battery ‘needs a service’.

They're probably having meetings with the stores to prepare for a massive increase in battery replacement requests once they release an update for this feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.