Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

EmmEff

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
Ontario, Canada
It benchmarks the same when connected as a second drive and booted from the built-in drive in my iMac. No worries. I’ve got an OWC TB3 enclosure coming in August and will pick up another branded 1TB nvme to compare the two.

Tricone

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2008
A random question relating to NVME enclosures and heat issues ( I have a TEKQ 2TB T3 drive) . . . would simply laying the drive on top of a cooling pad or ice pack or directing air from a small fan across the enclosure help to reduce the temperature significantly?

Last edited:

imASH

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2020
Hi folks. Looking for enclosure for WD_BLACK SN750 NVMe to use with my MB Pro 2016.
Just wanted to clarify a few questions:
1. Are JEYI enclosures compatible with USB3.1/USB2.0?
2. Aside of temperature issues how stable they are?

dazagrt

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2020
Hi guys, I just pre-ordered the OWC Envoy Express.

lotech

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2009
Hi folks. Looking for enclosure for WD_BLACK SN750 NVMe to use with my MB Pro 2016.
Just wanted to clarify a few questions:
1. Are JEYI enclosures compatible with USB3.1/USB2.0?
2. Aside of temperature issues how stable they are?
Unless they specify USB3 then no - the TB3 model is TB3 only.

lotech

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2009
Heres some results with the same Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb drive.
One is in a J5Create USB-C Enclosure (slower) and then moved to a JEYI TB3 Enclosure.
Can also confirm the JEYI comes with two TB3 cables - short (and horrible unless lying flat beside the computer) and a 50cm which is good.

DiskSpeedTestC2C.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 2.38.05 PM.png

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
imASH wrote:
"that's an issue of compatibility. I guess it is not a good option as universal portable drive.."

If it's "compatibility" that you want, USB3.1 gen2 would probably be "the best compromise".

These should yield reads of 965MBps or so when connected to a USBc port that supports USB3.1 gen2.
But they should also connect to USBa (USB3) ports and yield read speeds around 430MBps.

imASH

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2020
imASH wrote:
"that's an issue of compatibility. I guess it is not a good option as universal portable drive.."

If it's "compatibility" that you want, USB3.1 gen2 would probably be "the best compromise".

These should yield reads of 965MBps or so when connected to a USBc port that supports USB3.1 gen2.
But they should also connect to USBa (USB3) ports and yield read speeds around 430MBps.
Thank you for the reply. Is the a general consensus on the most stable usbb3.1 enclosure chip/device?

makkusu

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2020
Ok, another NVMe enclosure here - but this time its built into a TB3 dock as well. This is probably my ideal solution and the one I'll stick with for now!

thank you for the review! That looks like an awesome solution. It will make all my cables disappear and I would have TB3 extra storage. Plus, I might even be able to connect the dock with my work laptop, the USB-c port should be a Thunderbolt And according to Orico some other models might be supported, although not at full speed.

Nevertheless, I’ll have to wait for Christmas to buy something like that, the dock is 310€+130€ for a Samsung 970 Evo... My wife is gonna kill me ?

Edit: actually I have a question, I wanted this to use it for a bootcamp Windows partition. Do you think it would do the job reliably even with a cheap 50€ usb 3.1 gen 2 enclosure? Cause that could be an alternative until I decide to buy the dock.

camner

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009

deksawyer

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2020
Fife, Scotland
I've just fitted a Sabrent Rocket 1TB into the Orico TB3 enclosure (the one with the fins) and I'm getting very slow write speeds. The current link speed is only listed as 2 lanes rather than 4. That's the problem, but what's causing it?

Screenshot 2020-09-10 at 16.59.15.png

OK. I removed a USB C hub I had some hard drives plugged into and seem to be getting mixed results. Again, what's causing that?

Test 1

Screenshot 2020-09-10 at 17.09.22.png

Test 2 immediately after

Screenshot 2020-09-10 at 17.13.07.png

Last edited:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I've just fitted a Sabrent Rocket 1TB into the Orico TB3 enclosure (the one with the fins) and I'm getting very slow write speeds. The current link speed is only listed as 2 lanes rather than 4. That's the problem, but what's causing it?

OK. I removed a USB C hub I had some hard drives plugged into and seem to be getting mixed results. Again, what's causing that?

Test 1

Test 2 immediately after
You are getting 2459 MB/s read which is more than two lanes. Where are you seeing two lanes?

deksawyer

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2020
Fife, Scotland
Yes, after repeated running, it seems to be all over the place as per the screenshots above - there is no consistent benchmark as it's either all, one thing (read) or another (write), if that makes sense.

In System Information, the only TB3 device is the Orico enclosure. I assume "Current Link Width: 0x2" means only 2 lanes? I may be wrong, fair enough.

Screenshot 2020-09-11 at 01.02.19.png

It seems to run perfectly fine via other benchmarks, so maybe i'm just being uber sensitive about the BM tests. It's a nice problem to have though....

Screenshot 2020-09-10 at 17.29.21.png

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
In System Information, the only TB3 device is the Orico enclosure. I assume "Current Link Width: 0x2" means only 2 lanes? I may be wrong, fair enough.
Those are Thunderbolt lanes. A Thunderbolt connection is two bidirectional lanes (2 for send, 2 for receive, 8 wires total in the USB-C connector).
PCIe lanes is different.
You should always see link width 0x2 for Thunderbolt 3 which are combined into a "40 Gbps x1" connection. It may say 20 Gbps x1 if you are not using a proper Thunderbolt 3 cable, or if you are using Thunderbolt 2.
Thunderbolt 1 might be link width 0x1 with "10 Gbps x1" connection (maybe x2 for a Thubderbolt display for two separate 10 Gbps x1 connections).

Reactions: deksawyer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.