Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sam19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Bath,England
Hi Everyone,

I have just upgraded to a 2019 16" Macbook Pro from my 2012 15.4" Macbook Pro,

When im out and about its perfect! but when at home im starting to struggle, i have a thunderbolt display i used with my 2012 as its got Thunderbolt 2 port and MagSafe 1 charger.

I want to be able to use both my MagSafe chager and Thunderbolt2 to USB-C

I have a nice desk riser so want to make it a much more fluid way of "docking" my macbook when at home. All the USB-C hubs/docks i have seen either dont have a long enough cable or plug directly into the side.

The other issue is that i have 2 connections on the TBD, i am happy to purchase a Thunderbolt2 to Thunderbolt3 adapter and im happy to buy a MagSafe1 to USB-C/TB3 adapter but i would like a hub that both of these plug into and then i plug that hub into my 16" macbook, when i had my 2012 it was perfect, just plug both in and away i go, but with the 16" i owuld have to take up 2 USB-c ports and then have a hub seperatly aswell.

Does anybody know of a product that does both?

Any help wit hthis would be massivly appreciated!!

Sam

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
To connect a Thunderbolt Display to a dock, you need a Thunderbolt dock. Connect the Thunderbolt Display to an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter, then connect the adapter to the dock, then connect the dock to the MacBook Pro.

I don't think there's a USB or Thunderbolt dock that takes Mag Safe as power input.

There are Mag Safe to USB-C adapters though. Maybe one of those can power a Thunderbolt dock. There are a small number (very small number?) that use USB-C for power input.

There is the AnyWatt MS adapter at https://elecjet.com/collections/anywatt/products/anywatt-magsafe
The web page only mentions 45W PD option max though. The amazon page says 45W is for when using Mag Safe 1 and that it can do 60W when using Mag Safe 2. I don't think 60W is enough for a Thunderbolt dock.

The other issue is that i have 2 connections on the TBD
I don't know why this is an issue or what connections you mean.

You should just use a Thunderbolt dock. It will have its own power supply. Some will output 100W to charge your MacBook Pro. It's better than your old MacBook Pro because it can do data/video/charging with one cable instead of two.

sam19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Bath,England
To connect a Thunderbolt Display to a dock, you need a Thunderbolt dock. Connect the Thunderbolt Display to an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter, then connect the adapter to the dock, then connect the dock to the MacBook Pro.

I don't think there's a USB or Thunderbolt dock that takes Mag Safe as power input.

There are Mag Safe to USB-C adapters though. Maybe one of those can power a Thunderbolt dock. There are a small number (very small number?) that use USB-C for power input.

There is the AnyWatt MS adapter at https://elecjet.com/collections/anywatt/products/anywatt-magsafe
The web page only mentions 45W PD option max though. The amazon page says 45W is for when using Mag Safe 1 and that it can do 60W when using Mag Safe 2. I don't think 60W is enough for a Thunderbolt dock.

I don't know why this is an issue or what connections you mean.

You should just use a Thunderbolt dock. It will have its own power supply. Some will output 100W to charge your MacBook Pro. It's better than your old MacBook Pro because it can do data/video/charging with one cable instead of two.
i understand what your saying, and after some further research a usb hub seems the way to go, but... i cant seem to find any that will work, all the ones i can find have the power and monitor coming from the same port, i need a separate monitor and usb-c port so that i can charge my laptop while using it with the thunderbolt display

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
i understand what your saying, and after some further research a usb hub seems the way to go, but... i cant seem to find any that will work, all the ones i can find have the power and monitor coming from the same port, i need a separate monitor and usb-c port so that i can charge my laptop while using it with the thunderbolt display
Not USB hub.
Thunderbolt dock.

A Thunderbolt dock has two Thunderbolt ports. One connects to the Mac. The other can connect to a Thunderbolt Display.

A Thunderbolt dock has a separate power input and it can use that power to charge the MacBook Pro over the single Thunderbolt cable that connects to the MacBook Pro. The same cable will transmit video from the MacBook Pro through the dock, to the Thunderbolt Display. The same cable also transmits data for the other functions of the display and the dock (USB, ethernet, etc.).

sam19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Bath,England
Not USB hub.
Thunderbolt dock.

A Thunderbolt dock has two Thunderbolt ports. One connects to the Mac. The other can connect to a Thunderbolt Display.

A Thunderbolt dock has a separate power input and it can use that power to charge the MacBook Pro over the single Thunderbolt cable that connects to the MacBook Pro. The same cable will transmit video from the MacBook Pro through the dock, to the Thunderbolt Display. The same cable also transmits data for the other functions of the display and the dock (USB, ethernet, etc.).
I think i understand what you mean now, i also watched a couple youtube reviews on thunderbolt docks, is there any that you would recommend? all the ones i seem are very expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.