Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ThinkSecret also noted that the Gold Master of Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) has been making the rounds in file-trading circles.

A 2.5GB disc image of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger appeared on the servers of highly regarded ripping groups this past weekend, some two weeks before its official release. Details are scarce on where the disc image, which installs Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger build 8A428, originated from but the file is slowly making its ways to more and more servers and will likely end up on file sharing networks later this week.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
i was told about that torrent file last week - and was told it was unuseable ? due to a bad image.

i would have thought apple would have closed down the server that was hosting it by now?

and no i do not download iffy copy's of tiger for you info !

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
it was bound to happen. I've read that it indeed is build 8A428. It could of been something as simple as someone swiping a copy from the distribution plant. happens all the time.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Sucks, I hate it when Apple media is pirated, knowing its mac users copying it. Isn't it already cheap enough? I don't blame Apple if they start adding purchase codes and production activation or unique identifers to disks. Pirates ruin it for the rest of us.

skyfex

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2004
The 8A428 build is definitely out. I think they've kept it quite well so far. 10 days from release is not much for such a big release.

KrysBaz

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2004
Wokingham UK
skyfex said:
The 8A428 build is definitely out. I think they've kept it quite well so far. 10 days from release is not much for such a big release.

But is still an issue, and is wrong.
I've had enough problems with leaks at my own place of work, and no I'm not a plumber, it just makes it really frustrating, when an external source has info befoe you offically relase it.

It really pains me, and leaked software just gets on my nerves, why can't people wait any longer. :(

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
I don't know why Apple doesn't start using some sort of activation or least serial numbers. They must lose an awful lot of money from OS sales because people can easily copy and distribute it.

Fabio_gsilva

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2005
São Paulo - Brasil
It's very diferent and right...

Well, it's very diferent for me to heard people complaining about software licking before official release... Here in Brazil people use to celebrate it, specially because the prices of softwares are very expensive indeed... and almost everybody, including small and medium business, buy and uses "pirates", unoficial copies of apps regularly found in comerce. Despite for the severe penalties if you get caught... what, everybody knows, is very uncommon...

For example, the MS Office Home, the most commom program used in everyday computers here costs, in stores, US$ 300. In the streets, you pay only US$ 4... almost 1% of the official price...

But, you know, I thought you're allright!!! I just wonder how many years will take for people here to understand it, and start respecting the laws...

Hugs!

Macattack15

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2004
Tiger downlaod

The funny part is that most of the downloaders are people who already pre-ordered Tiger and just can't Wait 10 days to get there copy, at least thats what have been told by quite a few...

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
KrysBaz said:
It really pains me, and leaked software just gets on my nerves, why can't people wait any longer. :(

I don't think that peoples impatience is the issue, its the fact that people will not want to spend money on buying the software. I have pre-ordered Tiger from the education store, its just the excitement surrounding the release, etc.

thecapitalizt

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2005
one of my friends downloaded it last night, and can confirm that it is the full GM version. It was released from some Chinese tracker, so perhaps someone snagged a copy off of the line, but thats assuming that it was produced there, and not domestically

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
thecapitalizt said:
one of my friends downloaded it last night, and can confirm that it is the full GM version. It was released from some Chinese tracker, so perhaps someone snagged a copy off of the line, but thats assuming that it was produced there, and not domestically

a) I Hope your friend deletes it off his system!!!!!!!!!!!!!
b)How can he download a 2.5Gb file in an evening????

thecapitalizt

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2005
cwedl said:
a) I Hope your friend deletes it off his system!!!!!!!!!!!!!
b)How can he download a 2.5Gb file in an evening????

More like I hope it doesnt delete everything off of his system.

He left Bits On Wheels running all night, it took a total of about 18 hours to go through.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
patseguin said:
I don't know why Apple doesn't start using some sort of activation or least serial numbers. They must lose an awful lot of money from OS sales because people can easily copy and distribute it.

That would really suck. I have windows on one of my computers for gaming purposes. I purchased XP, but downloaded a cracked version. I use my unique serial key, I just don't have to activate it. I'm guessing that this is illegal, but I don't care because activation is the stupidest thing ever. I don't see Apple doing this because they make most of their money on Hardware, not Software like MS.

pounce

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2004
Fabio_gsilva said:
Well, it's very diferent for me to heard people complaining about software licking before official release... Here in Brazil people use to celebrate it, specially because the prices of softwares are very expensive indeed... and almost everybody, including small and medium business, buy and uses "pirates", unoficial copies of apps regularly found in comerce. Despite for the severe penalties if you get caught... what, everybody knows, is very uncommon...

For example, the MS Office Home, the most commom program used in everyday computers here costs, in stores, US$ 300. In the streets, you pay only US$ 4... almost 1% of the official price...

But, you know, I thought you're allright!!! I just wonder how many years will take for people here to understand it, and start respecting the laws...

Hugs!

what a load of horse****.

it's no different anywhere. productivity software is expensive. i'm in the US, but ms office is expensive here too. it doesn't justify piracy. i know it happens, but -i'm- not complacent about it. and i don't do it.

and as has been pointed out, this will be out in a few days now. i already pre-ordered it at a discount from amazon, i couldn't imagine wanting to use a pirated OS of all things. seems stupid.

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
*slaps forehead*

Fabio_gsilva said:

Hugs!

You know, £80/$120 or so isn't bad for the core of a computer. I mean, it is pretty much the ONE thing everyone needs isn't it? Its the one thing that everything else you buy runs off no? Piracy in software is just like in music and so many other effected industries. If you do it, the company looses out. Now you may say, "Ahhh, they have billions of dollars" Yes - but How are they meant to go on designing, re-building and manufacturing if people don't invest in it. Such a cavalier attitude is just terrible in this day and age. We all complain that software is bad, but we rarely praise it when it's good. Its time people like you put some money back into the market that allows all of us (Especially the creatives) to do the jobs we do. Stop stealing. It's against the law.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
Macrumors said:

ThinkSecret also noted that the Gold Master of Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) has been making the rounds in file-trading circles.

By the way, illegal ripping groups are "highly regarded"? That's like saying criminals are highly regarded. ;)

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
patseguin said:
By the way, illegal ripping groups are "highly regarded"? That's like saying criminals are highly regarded. ;)

Well, I guess that means there are "Name Brand" pirates, just like everything else! :D

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
this isnt surpriseing of course, but its a shame that its happening..... i suppose by the next release apple will have to include some sort of activation/serial number scheme

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
PlaceofDis said:
this isnt surpriseing of course, but its a shame that its happening..... i suppose by the next release apple will have to include some sort of activation/serial number scheme

I wouldn't be surprised or opposed to some sort of serial number system... but activation is the absolute worst thing Apple could do. Microsoft's system (yes, I have to use PCs as well) is the single most frustrating thing I've encountered in years of computing. Change your video card? Call Microsoft so you can turn your computer back on. Processor? Call. Add RAM? Call. Granted, you get three hardware changes before it kicks in, but that can happen pretty fast. I, as a user above mentioned, had to resort to using a crack on my valid copy of Windows just to get it to quit pestering me. I don't think Apple would introduce that kind of frustration into the computing experience, especially given that most of their money is made on the hardware, not OS updates.

Granted, users of Apple machines change hardware less often, but Windows, Norton, and TurboTax users know how much a pain activation can be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.