Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
So this seems less a tiktok specific issue and an issue of parenting. Basically the parents that choose not to be involved in moderating and managing the kids social platforms are now turning to the government to do their job for them.

Again, I'm not for or against tiktok. I'm on the outside looking in, and wondering what's people's opinions.

I don't see too much difference in this over other social platforms and to blame one saying how evil it is, because a Chinese company owns it but giving other platforms a pass (or at least a blind eye) seems hypercritical.
Yes, this is a larger societal problem. People seem to be happy to allow other people to effectively raise their children, while "traditional" parenting is just dissipating. Giving a child a smartphone / tablet as a pacifier is something I observe more and more. I can hardly eat out anywhere now without their being a child loudly watching something on a phone or tablet, or demanding access to one.

I do agree that it's not just TikTok. However, I would say that TikTok has positioned itself in a way that it is far more appealing to younger children.

Lastly, at no point did I say my views were based or influenced by it being Chinese. Even if it was US-based, the comments I've said here would be exactly the same.

Reactions: JM and MacWiz_007

RickDEGH

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2018
Frankfurt, Deutschland 🇩🇪

a plan detailing how it plans to prevent the Chinese government from having access to data on U.S. users​

Article Link: TikTok Could Face US Ban Unless Chinese Owners Sell Stake
Admission that the Chinese government indeed does have data on US users, and on every user around the world, whose governments care or don’t. I’m glad my skepticism, and my general lack of interest in TikTok, Instagram and co, has prevented me from having any desire in testing, signing up, or installing any of these services.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
dmission that the Chinese government indeed does have data on US users
How is that any different then Facebook having data for all tax payers as many (all?) of the free tax prep apps sold the data to FB?

There's also the NSA that clearly spends a lot of time spying on Americans.

I'm not defending Tiktok or that the chinese government BUT lets not deceive ourselves that US based social platforms are clean as the wind driven snow.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
But will Elon bring back Vine? Twitter shutting it down years ago was easily one of their worst moves. 😔

• Haha
Reactions: JM

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
Why is it terrible?

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing but please tell me why its terrible?
I've seen a few TikTok videos - and it is the junk food of media. Truly bad takes on many, many aspects - from science to society. Pretty similar to HFCS for the brain.

At least Vine (IIRC) was limited to 6seconds - now the contagion of mental illness is unlimited.

Deadman64

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
How many Western social networks are allowed in China?

Zero.

I've always wondered why Western countries allow China to play by completely different rules.

It was high time for something like this.
It’s like this with a lot of things and China. I don’t know why we let it happen. I recall in 2018 when tariffs were getting a lot of attention.

Musk pointed out that China, the world’s largest car market, slaps a 25 percent import tax on American vehicles with while the U.S. only has a 2.5 percent levy on Chinese autos.

Source:

Reactions: gusmula and wanha

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Ah, so Zuck is sulking about his failing business again. That's basically the message behind whatever drivel Biden will vomit out at the podium.

Besides purposes of boosting Chinese domestic social media businesses (a smart move, one that we should learn from), China restrict western social media to quell US soft power over Chinese society because guess what: all the brainrot BS that people think is 'corrupting the minds of youth' doesn't come from Chinese algorithms, Chinese creators, or the CPC, it comes from people and institutions right here in the USA (and in some cases Europe). Are we also going to ban YouTube and Instagram too? There's just as much stupefying garbage on there. We only have ourselves to blame, or rather USA based institutions. The 'spying' narrative is also laughable as if domestic agencies haven't constructed their own spying apparatus using American social media (Twitter even openly bragged about their 'vital role' in the Arab spring).

This is simply yet another sulkfest from our government and the corporations they serve because they're bitter about Chinese companies doing better than our own. Same reason they banned Huawei, because Cisco started crying about their modem business being affected. It's free market ruthless competition until China starts doing something better. Pathetic. I hope this initiative fails miserably.

Last edited:

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Not a fan of TikTok at all, but let’s not pretend China is using it as a spyware app. They have far more sophisticated ways (and unsophisticated *cough, spy balloons) to spy on American citizens. It also speaks volumes that even the Chinese realize the downsides of excessive social media use which is why their children have screen time limits. However, those limits should not be enforced by some corrupt centralized power, but by the parents of the children. Keep government out of the household. Not their job.

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
Why are they focused so much on this one app? Especially when you have whole computer companies that are partially owned by the Chinese government (like Lenovo). Much of our electronic devices are made inside of China. Many of the components of...well, everything... are also made there. But it's TikTok that's the focus?

Because of the PsyOp and intelligence needs.

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
Ah, so Zuck is sulking about his failing business again. That's basically the message behind whatever drivel Biden will vomit out at the podium.

China restrict western social media to quell US soft power over Chinese society because guess what: all the brainrot BS that people think is 'corrupting the minds of youth' doesn't come from Chinese algorithms, Chinese creators, or the CPC, it comes from people and institutions right here in the USA (and in some cases Europe). Are we also going to ban YouTube and Instagram too? There's just as much stupefying garbage on there. We only have ourselves to blame, or rather USA based institutions. The 'spying' narrative is also laughable as if domestic agencies haven't constructed their own spying apparatus using American social media (Twitter even openly bragged about their 'vital role' in the Arab spring).

This is simply yet another sulkfest from our government and the corporations they serve because they're bitter about Chinese companies doing better than our own. Same reason they banned Huawei, because Cisco started crying about their modem business being affected. It's free market ruthless competition until China starts doing something better. Pathetic. I hope this initiative fails miserably.
Just because the USA does it, does not mean China doesn't.

https://www.irsem.fr/report.html

"Since 2019, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube no longer refrain from identifying coordinated campaigns originating in China. Hence, tens of thousands of fake accounts have been suspended: some had long been “dormant,” others had been bought or stolen, most of them amplifying Chinese propaganda and attacking the United States (in Chinese and in English). Some accounts have profile pictures generated by artificial intelligence – a now regularly-observed practice in Chinese operations on social networks. Additionally, an important aspect of these campaigns is that they do not simply defend China: the promotion of the Chinese model goes hand in hand with the debasement of other models, especially liberal democracies, as Russian influence operations have done for years. The PLA is at the heart of these maneuvers, using social networks to conduct “open” influence operations and circulating propaganda on the one hand, often aiming at deterrence and psychological warfare; and to conduct clandestine and hostile operations against foreign targets on the other hand."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.