Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
Uh.... the discussion between me and I7guy was about Ma Bell and how much better off I7guy thinks we'd be if Ma Bell wasn't broken up. Why'd you bring up Apple? :rolleyes:

I thought you we're implying that Apple should likewise be broken up.

To you specific comment, ya Ma Bell should have been broken up, but that monopoly would have cracked by now because of new business models (IBM) or foreign competition. Also, you can have break ups but still end up with cartels, like you have in the Canadian tel cos, which are nearly as bad.

kyleh22

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2012
Baltimore, MD
So you’re saying that you think the bill must be good for consumers because a CEO is telling lawmakers it’s bad, but that Congress isn’t even serious about the bill and they’re just using it to extort money about lobbyists. And you think this proves the bill is legitimate. Got i
Exactly. It’s a win/win for politicians. They advertise they’re working on anti trust legislation then later, they take money from PACs and donors to silently kill the bill. This literally happens every day in governement. Politicians love talking about Bills they worked on but they never talk about laws they got passed.

Smearbrick

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Central PA
These are the kind of bills that China and Russia would want America to pass.
This may be the single dumbest thing I’ve read in a long time. These Russian/China chestnuts are getting tired. Move on to some other botched interpretation of another social/economic system. Pure, unregulated capitalism will ALWAYS lead to monopoly (not the board game).

Smearbrick

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Central PA
Put them in a folder and move on. ?‍♂️ or buy a android phone. ?‍♂️
Or allow the consumer to do what they want with the hardware they’ve purchased. That’s called “freedom”. So many people out there saying that we are becoming China or Russia, but then supporting a multi-billion in their quest to control what you do with the items you’ve paid for. If Apple wants to do this, why not simply license the devices to us for a nominal fee? Instead we pay full price and live under the illusion that the hardware we purchased is ours to do with whatever we please.

poked

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2014
The first few pages are the Apple fans and the last few are the moderate people who have a head on their shoulders. Tell me, Apple fans, of which I can be said to be one, WHY is there such a hate for having absolute control over a device you paid for and should be able to upgrade or downgrade as you see fit? What exactly makes you think a multi-billion dollar company doesn’t want to sell your data, to you know, help the highest bidder regardless of what the average Joe wants and that a closed ecosystem doesn’t foster that exact thing?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Or allow the consumer to do what they want with the hardware they’ve purchased. That’s called “freedom”. So many people out there saying that we are becoming China or Russia, but then supporting a multi-billion in their quest to control what you do with the items you’ve paid for. If Apple wants to do this, why not simply license the devices to us for a nominal fee? Instead we pay full price and live under the illusion that the hardware we purchased is ours to do with whatever we please.
You can do anything you want with the hardware you purchased. Apple is not obligated to help you though.

Reactions: Smearbrick

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The first few pages are the Apple fans and the last few are the moderate people who have a head on their shoulders. Tell me, Apple fans, of which I can be said to be one, WHY is there such a hate for having absolute control over a device you paid for and should be able to upgrade or downgrade as you see fit? What exactly makes you think a multi-billion dollar company doesn’t want to sell your data, to you know, help the highest bidder regardless of what the average Joe wants and that a closed ecosystem doesn’t foster that exact thing?
Where is Apple selling “our data”, in an unrestricted sense? And why should the government get involved in a company’s business decisions and business models as long as the company is operating within the law. ATT is a good use case, consumers really didn’t win from the breakup, imo.

poked

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2014
Where is Apple selling “our data”, in an unrestricted sense? And why should the government get involved in a company’s business decisions and business models as long as the company is operating within the law. ATT is a good use case, consumers really didn’t win from the breakup, imo.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Think your barking up with wrong tree here with insinuating that Apple is the root cause of third party apps violating privacy guidelines, especially with articles that are out of date. Where is Apple selling your data was the question...not third party apps or other trackers that are part of the general web landscape.

poked

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2014
Think your barking up with wrong tree here with insinuating that Apple is the root cause of third party apps violating privacy guidelines, especially with articles that are out of date. Where is Apple selling your data was the question...not third party apps or other trackers that are part of the general web landscape.
And the second link? Regardless, Apple through their App Store is allowing third party apps to gather data. They could just as easily put a muzzle on any identifying information needed for the app. User name and password is about all is id willing to give any third party application unless for medical bills.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
And the second link? Regardless, Apple through their App Store is allowing third party apps to gather data. They could just as easily put a muzzle on any identifying information needed for the app. User name and password is about all is id willing to give any third party application unless for medical bills.
So you tacitly admit that it's the third party app and not Apple? You said Apple was selling your data wholesale; they are not. That you believe that Apple can/should block information from 3rd party apps is a different topic; and another can of worms.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.