Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

donluca

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2018
Italy
Just do some searches and read around the forums to make extra sure you know what to do exactly (and what to expect).

Although, right now I'm really, *really* curious about the cMP5,1 > xserve3,1 flash.

Rominator told you to contact tsialex or dosdude1, but he is, AFAIK, the only one who's done this and succeeded.

With my (limited) knowledge, I'd tell you that the only problem of flashing the cMP5,1 bootrom onto the xserve3,1 would be that you would lose your serial number, but you can fix that in two ways:

1 - hexedit the cMP5,1 bootrom and put your serial number in it
2 - flash the cMP5,1 bootrom and then use the blank board serializer usb bootable system to write your serial number.

Reactions: P1ratz

P1ratz

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2019
From what ive read both nos and rominator were able to flash to cMP5,1

Here is what rominator said

“your best bet is going to be dosdude or tsialex

they are only ones I would trust to assemble the rom

i just flashed a 5,1 rom onto my x-serve

it worked, but fans ran fast and other problems

but it certainly showed the possibility to run Westmere”

Only thing i am un aware of at this point is how to pull the 140 or 144 boot rom from the mojave installer and which of the two i should try.

I managed to get a brand new dual cpu board ordered for my xserve as well so i have a backup if i brick it.

donluca

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2018
Italy
Always go for the most recent one. I use Pacifist, if you give me a bit of time I can send you the bootrom, but I'd rather go the "clean" xserve way, by adding all the features to the latest xserve bootrom (which should be in El Captain).

EDIT: there you go, taken from the latest Mojave installer.

https://mega.nz/#!g6ZTXSjL!uPE_vhOmjdaytIl_J4VM9swXDrkdrsrhfdj7MqKqxGo

EDIT 2: Oh, of course, always make a backup of your original ROM!

Last edited:

P1ratz

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2019
awesome thanks for that!

i am currently creating an El Capitan Bootable usb, when it is complete i will install on a freshly wiped disk on the xserve.

i will start with trying to add NVMe support unless it is better to try some thing else first.

Should i dump the stock 3,1 boot rom and upload it so you can have a look at it?

Edit: I also noticed user "Bion1nc" said that he has flashed to cMP5,1 on his xserve and managed to install x5*** cpus, so thats 3 people who say they have done it and succeeded. is the risk the same with flashing to 5,1 vs adding support to 3,1 bootrom in your opinion.

Edit 2: appears user "Cubeten" also did it. and swapped for lidded cpus even lol

Last edited:

P1ratz

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2019
So i sort of jumped the gun and pulled the MP51.fd from my mojave installer and flashed my xserve with it.

i used dosdude1 romtool for the flash and just changed the name of MP51.fd to MP51.bin.

i for sure thought i was gunna brick it but i wasn't that worried because i have a brand new dual cpu board on the way.

to all my amazement it worked!! booted right back up and i have no real problems aside from missing serial number and ram slots aren't right.

either way it worked and tomorrow i will install my x5690 and see if it boots!

will post with the results.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 8.38.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 8.38.42 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 451

reukiodo

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2013
Earth
I'm most interested in a combo firmware, to keep all the RAM slot configurations, LOM, etc of the XServe, yet add the new firmware features of the cMP (Westmere, NVMe, APFS, microcodes, etc). I wish Apple hadn't just dumped the XServe and given us this firmware update directly.

P1ratz

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2019
I'm most interested in a combo firmware, to keep all the RAM slot configurations, LOM, etc of the XServe, yet add the new firmware features of the cMP (Westmere, NVMe, APFS, microcodes, etc). I wish Apple hadn't just dumped the XServe and given us this firmware update directly.
Not sure how LOM is setup/works as this is my first day owning an xserve but if you can point me in the direction as to how to test if its working i would gladly try and get it going.
[doublepost=1563428838][/doublepost]Anyone ever put a lidded cpu into an xserve?

I currently only have one x5690 that is in my MP5,1 single cpu and i would like to be able to use it to test functionality in my xserve but do not want to attempt removing/replacing the lid on it for said purpose.

Would the washer trick work? I also have a 3d printer i could utilize to print accurately measured shims if thats possible.

donluca

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2018
Italy
So i sort of jumped the gun and pulled the MP51.fd from my mojave installer and flashed my xserve with it.

i used dosdude1 romtool for the flash and just changed the name of MP51.fd to MP51.bin.

i for sure thought i was gunna brick it but i wasn't that worried because i have a brand new dual cpu board on the way.

to all my amazement it worked!! booted right back up and i have no real problems aside from missing serial number and ram slots aren't right.

either way it worked and tomorrow i will install my x5690 and see if it boots!

will post with the results.

Damn, you're a true hero! Finally we have an active user reporting in with an xs3,1 flashed to 5,1.

Make sure to update to the latest 144 bootrom though and put in your serial number.

Then try using Mac Fan Control and see if you still have the ability of controlling the fans to tame them, I'm sure you've realized that thing is pretty loud.

P1ratz

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2019
Damn, you're a true hero! Finally we have an active user reporting in with an xs3,1 flashed to 5,1.

Make sure to update to the latest 144 bootrom though and put in your serial number.

Then try using Mac Fan Control and see if you still have the ability of controlling the fans to tame them, I'm sure you've realized that thing is pretty loud.

They can be pretty loud for sure but somehow they aren't ramping up after the flashing. Only time i think they went to
100% was when i plug in the second power supply instead of the first.

On a side note i plan on buying noctuas to replace the stock delta fans. Hopefully that makes it quieter

donluca

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2018
Italy
That would be a huge investment. Also, strange that your fans are not spinning to the maximum, I've read reports of other people that after flashing 5,1 have their fans always 100%.

If I were you, I'd check with iStat menu or Mac Fan Control the temperatures to make sure everything is alright.

P1ratz

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2019
That would be a huge investment. Also, strange that your fans are not spinning to the maximum, I've read reports of other people that after flashing 5,1 have their fans always 100%.

If I were you, I'd check with iStat menu or Mac Fan Control the temperatures to make sure everything is alright.

I will have to check, ive got the stock cpu out of it right now, trying to print a properly sized shim so i can install a lidded cpu. Hopefully i dont have to try an delid two x5690s when i get them.

I will post results from mac fan control on both cpus.

P1ratz

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2019
So ive managed to install two unsupported cpus, one was a W3520 and one was the X5690. Both posted no problem. I was able to print a shim at what i think is the correct spacing and installed both cpus with lids on

Ran cpu benchmark and monitored cpu temp and fan rpm at the same time with use of mac fan control.

Both cpus didnt go over 65 degrees during the bench and all fans stayed below 1800 rpm.

Strange thing is it only shows 10 fans is that a normal thing? I was thinking because its flashed to MP51 maybe?

Either way i am super happy they both worked. I now plan on ordering two x5690s to go on my dual logic board. And with the fan swap i am hoping it will be as quiet as my MP5,1

donluca

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2018
Italy
Ran cpu benchmark and monitored cpu temp and fan rpm at the same time with use of mac fan control.

Both cpus didnt go over 65 degrees during the bench and all fans stayed below 1800 rpm.

Strange thing is it only shows 10 fans is that a normal thing? I was thinking because its flashed to MP51 maybe

This is an impressive result. I've never read anywhere of the fans going that slow, even under load and with such low temps.

I think that this and the number of fans is 100% due to the MP5,1 rom. Can you make them run slower with Mac Fan Control? I'd advise you to choose wisely about replacing the fans.

There are a total of 14 fans, IIRC, even if you get a quantity discount and buy fans at 10€ each that would be 140€, almost as much as a complete working xserve.

EDIT: oh, and btw, the difference between lid and lidless CPUs have been measured and it was 2,24mm

donluca

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2018
Italy
@Flint Ironstag if you're still around, can you make the first post a wiki post so we can edit and put all the information gathered so far?
Information is scattered all over the place over several threads here and on netkas forums, it would be neat to have it all in one place.

I feel like an xserve 3,1 might be a fantastic, low cost alternative to the 4,1 and 5,1 cMP.

P1ratz

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2019
well the fans will cost $265 CAD but i can get them on amazon and my place of work has safety incentives that can directly convert to amazon giftcards. I will only be paying maybe $30 out if pocket but i get what you mean with the price of them, it is actually more value then i paid for my single cpu xserve

But all in all the result should be astounding!
From 65+dB to 15dB.

Between the logic bord, cpus, and fans, +ssd ill prob be into over $700 with upgrades.

I know it will be worth it though once i have a fully updated quiet xserve

donluca

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2018
Italy
Bear in mind that noise adds up, it's not like "14 fans at 15dB" = still 15dB.

I don't remember the exact formula, but you'll be looking at higher noise than the expected 15dB.

If I finally get my hands on a good xs3,1 for a fair price I'll probably get some cheap fans from China like: https://www.ebay.it/itm/223586419714

They state 18dB @3000RPM but it's probably way higher. No problem though, as I'll just put a voltage divider and get them to lower speeds (and thus, lower noise).

Any idea how to connect third party fans in that fan rack? I'm 99% positive that you'll completely lose whatsoever control you have over them as Apple's SMC works completely different from normal PWM.

P1ratz

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2019
Bear in mind that noise adds up, it's not like "14 fans at 15dB" = still 15dB.

I don't remember the exact formula, but you'll be looking at higher noise than the expected 15dB.

If I finally get my hands on a good xs3,1 for a fair price I'll probably get some cheap fans from China like: https://www.ebay.it/itm/223586419714

They state 18dB @3000RPM but it's probably way higher. No problem though, as I'll just put a voltage divider and get them to lower speeds (and thus, lower noise).

Any idea how to connect third party fans in that fan rack? I'm 99% positive that you'll completely lose whatsoever control you have over them as Apple's SMC works completely different from normal PWM.
I honestly thought that they would be 15dB. And im not sure about the smc/pwm, but thats an excellent point. I think for now then i will order two fans and install them and see what my results are.

I am hoping that i don't lose any functionality with the swap but until i try it i wont know i guess :p.

touche112

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2019
I honestly thought that they would be 15dB. And im not sure about the smc/pwm, but thats an excellent point. I think for now then i will order two fans and install them and see what my results are.

I am hoping that i don't lose any functionality with the swap but until i try it i wont know i guess :p.

I replaced the fans in my XServe. I used Noctuas and just spliced them to the original fan's headers. Works great. It gets a little toasty (I went from 40x20 to 40x10 fans) but I have good airflow in my rack so it doesn't overheat.

P1ratz

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2019
I replaced the fans in my XServe. I used Noctuas and just spliced them to the original fan's headers. Works great. It gets a little toasty (I went from 40x20 to 40x10 fans) but I have good airflow in my rack so it doesn't overheat.
Awesome! Thanks man that was what i planned to do so im glad it will work

Were the 40x10 cheaper and did you still install 14?

touche112

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2019
Awesome! Thanks man that was what i planned to do so im glad it will work

Were the 40x10 cheaper and did you still install 14?

Just seven.

The 40x20 stock fans are Delta, and they're dual blade spinning in opposite directions. This increases static pressure. If you were to stack 2x 40x10 fans to create a 40x20 array, they'd be spinning in the same direction. Increased turbulence for the air and no increase in pressure or airflow.

Long story short, because I went with the (practically silent) Noctua fans, I just used seven of them. I'm sure there are quieter Delta clones out there with dual blade configurations, but being I have secondary airflow in the rack pushing air into the XServe, I didn't look too far into it.

I'll post a pinout diagram tomorrow, with some pics.

Reactions: donluca

P1ratz

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2019
Just seven.

The 40x20 stock fans are Delta, and they're dual blade spinning in opposite directions. This increases static pressure. If you were to stack 2x 40x10 fans to create a 40x20 array, they'd be spinning in the same direction. Increased turbulence for the air and no increase in pressure or airflow.

Long story short, because I went with the (practically silent) Noctua fans, I just used seven of them. I'm sure there are quieter Delta clones out there with dual blade configurations, but being I have secondary airflow in the rack pushing air into the XServe, I didn't look too far into it.

Perfect thanks again man!

Do you think i could get away with 7 4x20?

P1ratz

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2019
Just seven.

Got them pics and pinout? Lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.