Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Sys profiler/extensions/RadeonBoost.kext

Loaded: no
That's normal. It's a codeless kext. You have to check if RadeonBoost is loaded indirectly.

e.g.
EFI mod.png

Reactions: freqrider

freqrider

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2019
It said RadeonBoost there? No bios number. But now I don’t have a bootscreen in opencore? Radeon Founders edition does bit my Saphire pulse does not? Checking rom now to see if its stock.

Piotrek Bernatek

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2020
Hi - I am complete newbie here.

I got RX580 8gb with 35k metal result.

I got the kext installed but it shows me only VBIOs as radeonboost. Efi version does not exist in Graphics details.

Nothing has changed in the geekbench 5 tests.

Catalina 10.15.6 opencore.

Any idea what should I do?

Last edited:

macha-one

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2017
Hi there , very curious what the Radeon boost will do to the performance of my 5.1 12 core Mac Pro running mojave 10.14.6 and a Sapphire pulse radeon RX580/ 8gb while using real time generative software like Dericative Touch Designer. Would this allow me to use more particles in Touch Designer? Or is this ktext only beneficial for rendering speeds?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hi - I am complete newbie here.

I got RX580 8gb with 35k metal result.

I got the kext installed but it shows me only VBIOs as radeonboost. Efi version does not exist in Graphics details.

Nothing has changed in the geekbench 5 tests.

Catalina 10.15.6 opencore.

Any idea what should I do?
Nothing, the RX580 driver is quite optimised already. No much you can boost.

As long as you can see that RadeonBoost in VBIOS, it means the kext is working.

Piotrek Bernatek

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2020
Nothing, the RX580 driver is quite optimised already. No much you can boost.

As long as you can see that RadeonBoost in VBIOS, it means the kext is working.

I've just found out that if I go to sleep - wake - run geekbench 5, it rocketed:
Metal 36 000 -> 56 000
Open Gl 31 000 -> 41 000

So it helped - but why it does not work after reboot? It only works after sleep/wake.

Please advise and thank you.

Last edited:

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
I've just found out that if I go to sleep - wake - run geekbench 5, it rocketed:
Metal 36 000 -> 56 000
Open Gl 31 000 -> 41 000

So it helped - but why it does not work after reboot? It only works after sleep/wake.

Please advise and thank you.
We have the same feature - rising Geekbench values from mid to high after first sleep - with mobile MXM slot cards of type AMD WX4130, WX4150, WX4170, and WX7100 in iMac systems. All cards are Polaris based.
I assume the boot process when switching from the white apple logo and progress bar to the login screen does not really initialize all drivers correctly. I can live with this, before using this extensions we had it the other way around, even worse, dropping from mid to low values. Same happend with OpenGL benches like Valley. Now these OpenGL results are constant and do not change.

Reactions: Piotrek Bernatek

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
I got RX-480 and with iMacPro identity through OC I get 40332 OpenCL Score and 48023 Metal Score without going through sleep. I don't use RadeonBoost, but device properties injection.

Reactions: Ausdauersportler

Piotrek Bernatek

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2020
We have the same feature - rising Geekbench values from mid to high after first sleep - with mobile MXM slot cards of type AMD WX4130, WX4150, WX4170, and WX7100 in iMac systems. All cards are Polaris based.
I assume the boot process when switching from the white apple logo and progress bar to the login screen does not really initialize all drivers correctly. I can live with this, before using this extensions we had it the other way around, even worse, dropping from mid to low values. Same happend with OpenGL benches like Valley. Now these OpenGL results are constant and do not change.

@CMMChris any idea how we can solve this issue? :) Thx!

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
After sleep cycle: 41689 OpenCL Score 48391 Metal Score... In the standard error margin.

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
I got RX-480 and with iMacPro identity through OC I get 40332 OpenCL Score and 48023 Metal Score without going through sleep. I don't use RadeonBoost, but device properties injection.
Since we use OpenCore with the 2011 iMacs too it might be an option to use the property injection. I will give it a try.
Thanks!

Brask

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2020
Denmark
Hi there , very curious what the Radeon boost will do to the performance of my 5.1 12 core Mac Pro running mojave 10.14.6 and a Sapphire pulse radeon RX580/ 8gb while using real time generative software like Dericative Touch Designer. Would this allow me to use more particles in Touch Designer? Or is this ktext only beneficial for rendering speeds?
I posted about this in april (post #40 ): Not much of a boost, some functions are even slower.

roscho

macrumors member
May 17, 2020
Switzerland
Since we use OpenCore with the 2011 iMacs too it might be an option to use the property injection. I will give it a try.
Thanks!

I tried with my WX7100 mobile, didn't change anything, though (with or without doubling PP,PP_xyz or CFG,CFG_xyz according to IORegistryExplorer)...

Only thing that worked was adding CFG,CFG_FORCEMAXDPM and CFG,CFG_FORCE_MAX_DPS as last parameter and setting them to TRUE (YES in Xcode). It seems to be important that the Falcon SMC FW is loaded before, otherwise those params have no effect for me. Maybe this also holds true for other params.

This results in max clocks for my card which is otherwise stuck at 300MHz SCLK under MacOS (no probs under Ubuntu though->likely a MacOS / OC / driver / config problem).

Regards,

roscho

Reactions: Ausdauersportler

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I tried with my WX7100 mobile, didn't change anything, though (with or without doubling PP,PP_xyz or CFG,CFG_xyz according to IORegistryExplorer)...

Only thing that worked was adding CFG,CFG_FORCEMAXDPM and CFG,CFG_FORCE_MAX_DPS as last parameter and setting them to TRUE (YES in Xcode). It seems to be important that the Falcon SMC FW is loaded before, otherwise those params have no effect for me. Maybe this also holds true for other params.

This results in max clocks for my card which is otherwise stuck at 300MHz SCLK under MacOS (no probs under Ubuntu though->likely a MacOS / OC / driver / config problem).

Regards,

roscho
How you determine the clock speed stuck at 300MHz?

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
How you determine the clock speed stuck at 300MHz?
Using some tools like HW Monitor and of course several benchmarks as Valley. We have this "feature" with MXM cards plugged into iMacs (late 2009 - mid 2011) of type WX4130/WX4150/WX4170/WX7100. Injecting a few values using OpenCore or a simplified version of the RadeonBoost makes it disappear.
[automerge]1596014711[/automerge]

Regards,

roscho
Would you like to share your settings, please :) A config.plist snap in text form would be great!

Reactions: Piotrek Bernatek

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Using some tools like HW Monitor and of course several benchmarks as Valley. We have this "feature" with MXM cards plugged into iMacs (late 2009 - mid 2011) of type WX4130/WX4150/WX4170/WX7100. Injecting a few values using OpenCore or a simplified version of the RadeonBoost makes it disappear.
I doubt if that 300MHz is reported erroneously. e.g. the software only report the idle clock speed.

However, the GPU itself actually can work to max boost clock speed.

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
I doubt if that 300MHz is reported erroneously. e.g. the software only report the idle clock speed.

First we installed these cards, then we figured out the performance is bad by running Valley (OpenGL) and GeekBench5 and other load generation tools.

Next step was cross checking the core frequency using some tools, followed by searching for a solution. Injecting some values from this RadeonBoost extension made it work and finally we got better performance and higher clock rates shown by the tools I just mentioned. @Nick [D]vB made the BIOS and gave me some hints about the direction.

Is there a specific reason you doubt the tools or the Valley benchmark results?

Piotrek Bernatek

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2020
[automerge]1596014711[/automerge]

Would you like to share your settings, please :) A config.plist snap in text form would be great!

Please ;-)

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
First we installed these cards, then we figured out the performance is bad by running Valley (OpenGL) and GeekBench5 and other load generation tools.

Next step was cross checking the core frequency using some tools, followed by searching for a solution. Injecting some values from this RadeonBoost extension made it work and finally we got better performance and higher clock rates shown by the tools I just mentioned. @Nick [D]vB made the BIOS and gave me some hints about the direction.

Is there a specific reason you doubt the tools or the Valley benchmark results?
Yeah, because you haven't mention that you determine that from the scores. And some software is know that cannot report the GPU clock speed correctly.

e.g. This is from my Radeon VII. Luxmark report 350MHz. People often complain the GPU stuck at that speed (in various forum). But if they also look at the score, they should able to tell their GPU was actually working correctly.
1975MHz.png

Anyway, obviously you know what you are looking for. And you did have GPU performance issue.

roscho

macrumors member
May 17, 2020
Switzerland

I do not use any benchmark software but Apples ioreg itself. This way:

Code:
roscho$ while sleep 1; do ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan\|Clock\|GPU Activity'; done

This polls the actual clocks every second via ioreg.

Without the above mentioned parmeters the Core CLK is stuck at 300MHz but the Mem Clock risies under load until 1250MHz.

With ...FORCE... after Polarisboost the Core Clock rises to 1243MHz and OpenCL performance is significantly better (GB4 45000 vs 35000). By the way, if it comes to significance or standard error it is wiser to compare sets of repeated measures (e.g. t-test & S.E.).

Also the GPU load in Activity Monitor (CMD+4) is higher and the GPU heatsink tempt rises higher under load.

EDIT: And Luxmark reports correctly, although the result is disappointing. But maybe i have to play around with different parameters.

1596022566269.png

regards,

roscho
[automerge]1596022164[/automerge]

For sure, this is the relevant PolarisBoost Config.plist part, but the 2 params should also work in the same place in RadeonBoost:

Code:
            <key>IOProviderMergeProperties</key>
            <dict>
                <key>ATY,EFIVersionB</key>
                <string>PolarisBoost</string>
                <key>CFG,CFG_NVV</key>
                <integer>2</integer>
                <key>CFG,CFG_PTPL2_TBL</key>
                <data>ggAAAHwAAAB2AAAAcAAAAGoAAABkAAAAXgAAAFgAAABSAAAATAAAAEYAAABAAAAAOgAAADQAAAAuAAAAKAAAAA==</data>
                <key>CFG,CFG_USE_CP2</key>
                <true/>
                <key>PP,PP_EnableLoadFalconSmcFirmware</key>
                <integer>1</integer>
                <key>PP,PP_Falcon_QuickTransition_Enable</key>
                <integer>1</integer>
                <key>PP,PP_WorkLoadPolicyMask</key>
                <integer>16</integer>
                <key>CFG,CFG_FORCE_MAX_DPS</key>
                <true/>
                <key>CFG,CFG_FORCEMAXDPM</key>
                <true/>
            </dict>

Attachments

• 1596022542350.png
    1596022542350.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I do not use any benchmark software but Apples ioreg itself. This way:

Code:
roscho$ while sleep 1; do ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan\|Clock\|GPU Activity'; done

This polls the actual clocks every second via ioreg.

Without the above mentioned parmeters the Core CLK is stuck at 300MHz but the Mem Clock risies under load until 1250MHz.

With ...FORCE... after Polarisboost the Core Clock rises to 1243MHz and OpenCL performance is significantly better (GB4 45000 vs 35000). By the way, if it comes to significance or standard error it is wiser to compare sets of repeated measures (e.g. t-test & S.E.).

Also the GPU load in Activity Monitor (CMD+4) is higher and the GPU heatsink tempt rises higher under load.

EDIT: And Luxmark reports correctly, although the result is disappointing. But maybe i have to play around with different parameters.

View attachment 938491

regards,

roscho
[automerge]1596022164[/automerge]

For sure, this is the relevant PolarisBoost Config.plist part, but the 2 params should also work in the same place in RadeonBoost:

Code:
            <dict>
                <key>CFG,CFG_NVV</key>
                <integer>2</integer>
                <data>ggAAAHwAAAB2AAAAcAAAAGoAAABkAAAAXgAAAFgAAABSAAAATAAAAEYAAABAAAAAOgAAADQAAAAuAAAAKAAAAA==</data>
                <true/>
                <integer>1</integer>
                <integer>1</integer>
                <integer>16</integer>
                <true/>
                <true/>
            </dict>
Yeah, Luxmark can report the max boost clock speed in Catalina regardless what the actual clock speed is. But in Mojave, it reports the idle clock speed.
Catalina PPT (228W).png

TBH, I really don't expect the WX7100 has such poor support on the iMac. In the old Mac Pro, it's really just plug and play. And I actually downclocked my RX580 to 1243MHz to simulate WX7100 performance / power draw.

And this is the Luxmark result.
WX7100.png

Even the cooling isn't that good on the iMac, but the performance can't be 65% lower. 12000-13000 make much more sense.

Anyway, wish you guys can find the key to unlock all the performance, good luck!

eVasilis

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2010
<dict>
<key>CFG,CFG_NVV</key>
<integer>2</integer>
<true/>
<integer>1</integer>
<integer>1</integer>
<integer>16</integer>
<true/>
<true/>
</dict>

I changed the relevant section in my installation of radeonboost with this and from 48K in the geekbench metal test it went up to 54K+. That is impressive (I think). This is on a 5.1 macpro with OS 10.15.6 and an rx 580 pulse.

Has anyone noticed any improvements with the apps they use?

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008

Some examples of working with Nick and my wx 4150 mxm card (note in xserve3,1).

example of the loop to check ioreg (without fan speeds since mxm has no fans)
Code:
$ while sleep 2; do ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Clock'; done|paste - - -
"Core Clock(MHz)"=1016    "Memory Clock(MHz)"=300    "Temperature(C)"=63
"Core Clock(MHz)"=964    "Memory Clock(MHz)"=1500    "Temperature(C)"=63
"Core Clock(MHz)"=998    "Memory Clock(MHz)"=1500    "Temperature(C)"=63
"Core Clock(MHz)"=1025    "Memory Clock(MHz)"=1500    "Temperature(C)"=63
"Core Clock(MHz)"=1008    "Memory Clock(MHz)"=1500    "Temperature(C)"=63

Tried a few of his roms, some of which resulted in GPU clock being stuck at 214MHz (original rom idle speed was 300MHz) but Memory was able to hit 1750MHz (vs previous cap of 1500MHz) this of course killed metal bench back to 4k from nearly 14k.
Found windows compute numbers for the WX 4150 ... seems they have OpenCL around 15k-17k, so getting 13k/14k seems like a decent number considering 2x PCIe bus and a slow E5520 2.2Ghz CPU

Based on all of that i'd believe that it may get truly stuck at 300MHz depending on what was tweaked / not loaded properly.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.