Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkinto

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2011
Thanks. I swopped your config out with mine but I'm afraid there's no difference really. Not sure what the problem is.

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
Right which I assume is why my Polaris 4gb sapphire pulse saw a bump with this but others didn’t.

applCore

macrumors regular
May 3, 2011
@CMMChris can you please give us who have the Vega10 (Vega 64 for example) problem an option to enable the speedup at the cost of fan noise? We'd really like to have a flag we can flip on and off for the kext at boot that will allow us to suffer with the noise. For example, in my case, I operate in a space with servers and a lot of noise so there's no problem with the additional fan noise.

Technomad42

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2020
Scotland
Radeonboost has worked well under Catalina with my Radeon VII, with Geekbench 5 coming in around 53,000 on OpenCL and 101,000 on Metal (I'm guessing that the fact that the same card hits 91,000 on Windows under OpenCL is down to Apple). But it obviously doesn't work at all under Big Sur. Any plans for an update to fix that?

thanks…

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Radeonboost has worked well under Catalina with my Radeon VII, with Geekbench 5 coming in around 53,000 on OpenCL and 101,000 on Metal (I'm guessing that the fact that the same card hits 91,000 on Windows under OpenCL is down to Apple). But it obviously doesn't work at all under Big Sur. Any plans for an update to fix that?

thanks…
It should work. I tested that back in beta 1

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019

thanks…
I can confirm it is still working perfectly with my iMac 2011/AMD Polaris 4170 GPU and Big Sur Developer Beta 6/Public Beta 3 and it has been working with all versions from Beta3 on - this was the first I installed.

applCore

macrumors regular
May 3, 2011
Not hearing any options here - can we get the VEGA enabled again if we don't mind fan overdriving?

Grumply

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
This kext does NOT require OpenCore, and it has nothing to do with OpenCore.

OpenCore is just one of the method to load this kext, therefore, just need to do it once, than all installed macOS can benefit from it. No need to install that one by one for each single macOS installation.

You can simply disable SIP and download the kext from post #1, then

1) Copy the RadeonBoost.kext to /Library/Extensions/ (NOT /System/Library/Extensions/)

2) Open Terminal, enter
Code:
sudo chmod -R 755 /Library/Extensions/RadeonBoost.kext.kext
3) Enter
Code:
sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/Extensions/RadeonBoost.kext.kext
4) Enter
Code:
sudo codesign --deep -fs - /Library/Extensions/RadeonBoost.kext.kext
5) Enter
Code:
sudo touch /Library/Extensions; kextcache -update-volume /
(May shows something like "No such file..." or "Error 107", don't worry, you can safely ignore them. This step is optional indeed)

6) Restart

I'm trying to inject the kext (via /library/extensions) on my new 7,1. But when I input:

Code:

Terminal says "No such file or directory"

Is that because the command is for "RadeonBoost.kext.kext" rather than just "RadeonBoost.kext" (which is the actual filename and extension that's in the folder) or is the second ".kext" on there for a reason?

I've tried it both ways, and am seeing no improvements from the stock 580x in this 7,1.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I'm trying to inject the kext (via /library/extensions) on my new 7,1. But when I input:

Code:

Terminal says "No such file or directory"

Is that because the command is for "RadeonBoost.kext.kext" rather than just RadeonBoost.kext" (which is the actual filename and extension that's in the folder) or is the second ".kext" on there for a reason?

I've tried it both ways, and am seeing no improvements from the stock 580x in this 7,1.
1)The file name is RadeonBoost.kext, not RadeonBoost.kext.kext. That's my fault of copy and paste but haven't check the details before post. Anyway, you got this fixed.

2) The idea of this kext is to make macOS assign device properties to PC graphic cards like what it does to Apple graphic card. Since you already has an Apple graphic card, there should be no improvement to use this kext.

Reactions: JedNZ

Grumply

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
2) The idea of this kext is to make macOS assign device properties to PC graphic cards like what it does to Apple graphic card. Since you already has an Apple graphic card, there should be no improvement to use this kext.

I'm using the same pair of Radeon VIIs I had in my 5,1 in the 7,1, so the kext does make quite a difference - it's taken my geekbench metal scores up from around 60,000 to 100,000. And I've seen a bit of an improvement in video rendering times too.

So I've now got three additional kexts in my /library/extensions folder on the 7,1:

- RadeonBoost
- Innie (mixed in with the Lilu.kext)
- CustomPowerPlay (the downvolting kext for the Radeon VII that you made)

I've had to disable SIP to get these all going. Is it possible for me to reactive SIP (now that they're installed)? Or will that kill any of them?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I'm using the same pair of Radeon VIIs I had in my 5,1 in the 7,1, so the kext does make quite a difference - it's taken my geekbench metal scores up from around 60,000 to 100,000. And I've seen a bit of an improvement in video rendering times too.

So I've now got three additional kexts in my /library/extensions folder on the 7,1:

- RadeonBoost
- Innie (mixed in with the Lilu.kext)
- CustomPowerPlay (the downvolting kext for the Radeon VII that you made)

I've had to disable SIP to get these all going. Is it possible for me to reactive SIP (now that they're installed)? Or will that kill any of them?
You can, but have to use the --without kext argument

Reactions: JedNZ

CMMChris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Germany (Bavaria)
CustomPowerPlay (the downvolting kext for the Radeon VII that you made)

You can put the PowerPlay Table inside RadeonBoost to keep things nice and tidy. Just add it to the Vega20Boost personality.
Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-26 um 22.29.18.jpg

Reactions: Grumply

roobarb!

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2009
Unfortunately it will stop working in Big Sur. Apple is now preventing force loading of SMU Firmware.
Well, thanks, Apple. Guess I'll be on Catalina for some time. I've really noticed the performance improvement this gives, so I'll not be leaving that on the table in a hurry!

Hmm, I saw some people mention that SMU firmware loading was gone in 10.15.7, but I see this working just fine. I didn't find out about it until I was already on 10.15.7. I'll no doubt give Big Sur a try at some point, but I'm not bothering until it's been out of beta for a bit.

Last edited:

CMMChris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Germany (Bavaria)
It's not gone in 10.15.7. But in Big Sur it is blocked since a couple of Betas. Looks like Apple doesn't want 3rd party cards to perform as good as their own products in Geekbench.

roobarb!

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2009
Looks like Apple doesn't want 3rd party cards to perform as good as their own products in Geekbench.
Given the difference between my Radeon VII and the averaged figure for their Radeon Pro Vega II Duo, I wouldn't be surprised. Mine was £509 on Amazon. Theirs is £5600 or an extra £5200 on top of the MacPro7,1 when ordering.

To be fair though, it does have an extra 48 GB HBM2 for the £5000 premium.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.