Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
You should not use SMU Firmware on Vega 10 due to fan control and power state issues with it.
iMac Pro framebuffers are incompatible with 3rd party Vega 56 and Vega 64 GPUs and need to be patched like Araguaia for the VII.
Can you get any display port works with Araguaia framebuffer?

I tried that before, but all display ports disabled on my Radeon VII.

I only need one, but can't even get one works.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Well all i meant was i got the 3 monitors to work - i am still convinced its gimped in performance compared to windows since with same software.
7,1 Board ID can activate all ports by default. But that’s with RadeonFramebuffer, which can’t force load the SMU firmware.

Once we inject the Araguaia Framebuffer (which allow force load SMU firmware to fix the performance issue), the ports stop working properly. This is the problem.

MaikPfaffenrath

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2018
Germany
You should not use SMU Firmware on Vega 10 due to fan control and power state issues with it.
iMac Pro framebuffers are incompatible with 3rd party Vega 56 and Vega 64 GPUs and need to be patched like Araguaia for the VII.
I've installed a custom watercooled Vega 64 in my MacPro 5,1, so the fan control problem is no issue for me. But if I understand you correct even with my setup I should not use any version of RadeonBoost with Vega64 support because of power state issues?

DanSilov

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2016
I've installed a custom watercooled Vega 64 in my MacPro 5,1, so the fan control problem is no issue for me. But if I understand you correct even with my setup I should not use any version of RadeonBoost with Vega64 support because of power state issues?
There are no power state issues whatsoever. Will send you my RadeonBoost.kext via DM. But keep in mind, it won't work in BigSur.

NoraDestiny

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2020
Hi !
Firstly, sorry for my english, i'm french !

I can't boot when i use this Kext (my screen has no more signal during apple loading)
I've an RX590, and i use OpenCore.

So i put the file in the Kexts folder, then i do a clean Snapshot with my config.plist.

What's wrong ? thanks

Edit : i've a Ryzentosh on Big Sur 11.0.1

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hi !
Firstly, sorry for my english, i'm french !

I can't boot when i use this Kext (my screen has no more signal during apple loading)
I've an RX590, and i use OpenCore.

So i put the file in the Kexts folder, then i do a clean Snapshot with my config.plist.

What's wrong ? thanks

Edit : i've a Ryzentosh on Big Sur 11.0.1
RadeonBoost won't work in Big Sur.

And for your info, this is actually a genuine Mac forum. We use OpenCore to bypass some Apple's artificial limitations. But most members here don't know Hackintosh stuff, especially Ryzentosh.

Anyway, what do you mean "clean Sanpshot" for your config?

NoraDestiny

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2020
RadeonBoost won't work in Big Sur.

And for your info, this is actually a genuine Mac forum. We use OpenCore to bypass some Apple's artificial limitations. But most members here don't know Hackintosh stuff, especially Ryzentosh.

Anyway, what do you mean "clean Sanpshot" for your config?

Oh right, sorry I didn't know!
a "clean snapshot" allows you to synchronise the config.plist with the Kexts, drivers etc... without having to manually modify the config.plist.

Thank you! I'm thinking of switching back to Catalina then

eVasilis

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2010
Hi all and happy new year!

just one question, is there a chance that we get radeonboost for big sur?

Thanks!

eVasilis

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2010
Just to confirm that RadeonBoost, works fine with Big Sur and RX 580 pulse under open core 0.6.6. Both it and hardware acceleration. The Geekbench scores are not spectacular but OK (52K compared to 46K without it, hardware acceleration on in both cases).

Enricote

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2018
Madrid, Spain
Just to confirm that RadeonBoost, works fine with Big Sur and RX 580 pulse under open core 0.6.6. Both it and hardware acceleration. The Geekbench scores are not spectacular but OK (52K compared to 46K without it, hardware acceleration on in both cases).
Same experience here. cMP 5,1, XFX Radeon RX 580 8Gb, Opencore 0.6.6. Hardware Accelereration, Big Sur 11.2.1 following strictly excellent Opencore wiki in this forum (thanks to everybody there!).

My Geekbench results are not remarkable (5,22% better performance in OpenCL; almost nothing in Metal). I have no issues with fans acceleration

It's worth it?
Thanks to everyone here too!

Attachments

• Screenshot-2021-02-14-at-10.44.31.png
    Screenshot-2021-02-14-at-10.44.31.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 200
Last edited:

eVasilis

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2010
My Geekbench results are not remarkable (5,22% better performance in OpenCL; almost nothing in Metal). I have no issues with fans acceleraration

It's worth it?
Thanks to everyone here too!
I had slightly better results with metal, from 46K to 52K. Yours without radeonBoost are slightly better! I do not think it is worth it as in rendering in fcpx did not make a difference.

Charmandrigo

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2018
I wish this kext worked with me the way is expected to work because on my case the entire system goes stutter and choppy every 3 seconds.
Have a Mac Pro 5,1 on Big Sur with a 8gb RX480 installed, a card that is verified on the first post.
It definitely is the kext because after I erase the thing from my config.plist and reboot everything goes smooth and normal as is supposed to

eVasilis

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2010
I wish this kext worked with me the way is expected to work because on my case the entire system goes stutter and choppy every 3 seconds.
Have a Mac Pro 5,1 on Big Sur with a 8gb RX480 installed, a card that is verified on the first post.
It definitely is the kext because after I erase the thing from my config.plist and reboot everything goes smooth and normal as is supposed to
A few pages back in this thread there is a post on how to modify the kext's info.plist so one cat get the best possible results with polaris cards.

Charmandrigo

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2018
A few pages back in this thread there is a post on how to modify the kext's info.plist so one cat get the best possible results with polaris cards.
I already tested most deviceproperties settings shared here and none of them seem to make the choppy mouse stop.

Does anyone here has the 8gb RX480 and has found settings that have worked the best for that card?

borgo1971

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2013
polaris
the card is installed in the bottom slot right?
Is this absolutly necessary?
I'm here because I can't score more then about 26K in OpenCL and about 27K in Metal with my Radeon RX580 Nitro+. But if I'm not wrong, even nvme SSD should be placed in bottom PCI slot. So have I to choose between a decent fast drive and a decent video card?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
polaris

Is this absolutly necessary?
I'm here because I can't score more then about 26K in OpenCL and about 27K in Metal with my Radeon RX580 Nitro+. But if I'm not wrong, even nvme SSD should be placed in bottom PCI slot. So have I to choose between a decent fast drive and a decent video card?
That not necessary but very preferable.

Biot slot 1 and 2 are identical in PCIe lane count / speed / etc. But slot 1 can accommodate double width PCIe card, that's the default slot for graphic card in a cMP.

For NVMe, unless you are using some very expensive adaptor. They perform pretty much the same in any slot. But even you have one of those high performance adaptor, you can still install it in slot 2. No need to install that in a double wide slot.

borgo1971

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2013
What sort results do people see with a RX 580 with RadeonBoost.kext loaded on a Mac Pro 5,1? I'm getting around 51000. Does that sound right? The kext appears not to be loaded.
Playing with OC settings, RadeonBoost.kext, RX580 Nitro+ BIOS mode, ecc... I getting something between 25K and 28K for both, OpenCL and Metal (sometimes slightly better the first, and sometimes the second). Far away from your 51K... :(
I put the card in second PCI slot, because I noticed nvme drive was slower if I putted it there. Didn't notice any difference for GPU until today... or better, I must try to invert the device before I can say if it matters something.

Last edited:

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Playing with OC settings, RadeonBoost.kext, RX580 Nitro+ BIOS mode, ecc... I getting something between 25K and 28K for both, OpenCL and Metal (sometimes slightly better the first, and sometimes the second). Far away from your 51K... :(
I put the card in second PCI slot, because I noticed nvme drive was slower if I putted it there. Didn't notice any difference for GPU until today... or better, I must try to invert the device before I can say if it matters something.
Go to sleep and repeat the test after sleep mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.