Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CMMChris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Germany (Bavaria)
Radeon Pro Vega II Duo is much more powerful than a Radeon VII but that is only for applications that support multi GPU set-ups which Geekbench does not. This is why it performs slower than a Radeon VII because only one of the two Vega20 GPUs is used for benchmarking. Also, the GPU and VRAM clocks of the Pro Vega II cards are much lower due to the semi passive cooling.

Reactions: roobarb!

roobarb!

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2009
Radeon Pro Vega II Duo is much more powerful than a Radeon VII but that is only for applications that support multi GPU set-ups which Geekbench does not.
I did not realise that about Geekbench, good to know. I thought that whole extra GPU must come into use somewhere!

pierrox

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2015
Paris, France
How did you get it working with the Vega 64? I have a Vega 64 MSI card and I thought the Radeon Boost kext wasn't working with these cards?
I think earlier versions of this kext had support for Vega 64 but at the cost of fans behaving erratically. Or should I say noisily...

eVasilis

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2010
Hi all

I noticed that Radeonboost.kext does not load after the latest additional update to 10.15.7. Lilu, lilufriend and whatevergreen are installed and loaded though. Any ideas? My gpu is a radeon pulse rx 580

Thanks!

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Hi all

I noticed that Radeonboost.kext does not load after the latest additional update to 10.15.7. Lilu, lilufriend and whatevergreen are installed and loaded though. Any ideas? My gpu is a radeon pulse rx 580

Thanks!
This is a codeless kext. It has nothing to do with lilu.

Asural

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2015
Yokohama
@CMMChris Thank you very much for your wonderful kext.
I am using this kext on my HP8300CMT i7-3770 RX570.

Replacing IOKitPersonalities-> AGPM with the AGPM created by the AGPMInjector should remove the SMBIOS restrictions.
If the restrictions of AGPM are removed, I think that only the GPUs that can be defined need to be considered.

I'd like to add a GPU that can be selected with the AGPM Injector.

DanSilov

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2016
It's not gone in 10.15.7. But in Big Sur it is blocked since a couple of Betas. Looks like Apple doesn't want 3rd party cards to perform as good as their own products in Geekbench.
Chris, do you know if the situation is still the same in Big Sur 11.0.1? Are there any workarounds? I'm successfully using RadeonBoost on my Vega64, but don't want to lose it after the upgrade.

eVasilis

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2010
Chris, do you know if the situation is still the same in Big Sur 11.0.1? Are there any workarounds? I'm successfully using RadeonBoost on my Vega64, but don't want to lose it after the upgrade.
It didn't work in my case (in 11.0.1 that is).

DanSilov

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2016
Okay, can confirm that Vega64 in Big Sur has the same ****** performance like before, no fixes from Apple there. RadeonBoost also doesn't work, but this was known already. Bummer.

roobarb!

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2009
Okay, can confirm that Vega64 in Big Sur has the same ****** performance like before, no fixes from Apple there. RadeonBoost also doesn't work, but this was known already. Bummer.
Also confirmed with Radeon VII here.

DanSilov

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2016
Try device property injection through OC.
I believe this is what RadeonBoost.kext does with the help of OC. Chris posted some time ago in this thread that Apple stopped loading SMU even if you try to force it with device property injection.

CMMChris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Germany (Bavaria)
Try device property injection through OC.
Does not help. Apple is limiting loading of SMU firmware to Framebuffers of their own products now. Works for Navi cards but not for VII. Araguaia Framebuffer connector layout of MacPro 2019 is hardcoded. You'd need to patch its connectors to get it working.

Reactions: h9826790

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Does not help. Apple is limiting loading of SMU firmware to Framebuffers of their own products now. Works for Navi cards but not for VII. Araguaia Framebuffer connector layout of MacPro 2019 is hardcoded. You'd need to patch its connectors to get it working.
So it should work for Name: ATY,Orinoco for the RX-580 then, right?

CMMChris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Germany (Bavaria)
You should not use SMU Firmware on Vega 10 due to fan control and power state issues with it.
iMac Pro framebuffers are incompatible with 3rd party Vega 56 and Vega 64 GPUs and need to be patched like Araguaia for the VII.

Reactions: startergo

DanSilov

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2016
You should not use SMU Firmware on Vega 10 due to fan control and power state issues with it.
iMac Pro framebuffers are incompatible with 3rd party Vega 56 and Vega 64 GPUs and need to be patched like Araguaia for the VII.
Chris, my particular Vega64 flashed with Saphire BIOS doesn’t have the fan issue, never had it, and I’m using RadeonBoost successfully for quite some time. But since generic Framebuffer doesn’t work in Big Sure anymore, I would be curious to try with other personalities, even if it involves additional patches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.