Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D'oh Mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2017
Hi All,

I have been having issues with my 2011 MacBook Pro since October 2016. (GPU boot up issue's) It's been into the local approved reseller three times, twice under consumer law (I didn't appreciate that legally I only needed to give them one attempt and they put me on a conveyor belt of repairs) and once I had to pay for.

I got the computer and within 36 hrs I had more issues, so fed up that I spoke (again) to apple support. explained I wanted to reject the repair as I still was having issues. I got a call back from a senior technical adviser and after 1hr or so on the phone they offered me a replacement machine. Great I thought!

However after a few initial emails where he needed proof of purchase etc. the conversation dried up. I have rung apple again and they say erm, ah we don't offer replacements for machines that old.... I may or may not get a partial refund, but the point is I was told and agreed to a replacement.

Feeling a little bit annoyed, about the wasted time/repairs and then being told one thing by one adviser and something different from another.

Has anyone got any idea's of how I can resolve this situation? Or been promised one thing by apple and then found out you had been told a load of rubbish?

PhoenixFireless

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2016
Hi All,

I have been having issues with my 2011 MacBook Pro since October 2016. (GPU boot up issue's) It's been into the local approved reseller three times, twice under consumer law (I didn't appreciate that legally I only needed to give them one attempt and they put me on a conveyor belt of repairs) and once I had to pay for.

I got the computer and within 36 hrs I had more issues, so fed up that I spoke (again) to apple support. explained I wanted to reject the repair as I still was having issues. I got a call back from a senior technical adviser and after 1hr or so on the phone they offered me a replacement machine. Great I thought!

However after a few initial emails where he needed proof of purchase etc. the conversation dried up. I have rung apple again and they say erm, ah we don't offer replacements for machines that old.... I may or may not get a partial refund, but the point is I was told and agreed to a replacement.

Feeling a little bit annoyed, about the wasted time/repairs and then being told one thing by one adviser and something different from another.

Has anyone got any idea's of how I can resolve this situation? Or been promised one thing by apple and then found out you had been told a load of rubbish?

Your device is what Apple calls vintage.

Generally they don't offer device replacements...EVER...but in the case they do, they will probably replace it with the same exact model, provided it's still manufactured.

Your device is obviously currently not manufactured.

Overall this means they either:
  1. Replace it with the next available model they do manufacture or have in stock.
  2. They will offer you a discount on a new product.

Last edited:

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
What you were told last year may no longer apply. There was a replacement program that ended on December 31. And now the 2011s are treated as legacy machines.

D'oh Mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2017
What you were told last year may no longer apply. There was a replacement program that ended on December 31. And now the 2011s are treated as legacy machines.

I appreciate your point but I was told this last Saturday, 21st January.....

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
I appreciate your point but I was told this last Saturday, 21st January.....

I see. That's surprising, as it seems contrary to their current policy in more ways than one. Apple should have a record of your contact with the person you talked to, maybe you can get someone to look at your file to see what it says about that call. If he made a notation that a replacement was agreed to, that might be something to press. Otherwise it would be hard to get any traction, I think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.