Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bbqthis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2015
Bay Area, CA
I was under the impression that the Today View was removed from the Notification Tray in favor of the "-1" home screen? But sometimes it's appearing in the notification tray on my device.
Screenshot showing both:
IMG_0014.PNG

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
it appears in the notification tray when you open the tray from within an app.

i think this is so you don't have to go home first. it's easy to access in 2 swipes or less wherever you are: lock screen, home screen, in app.

i personally think it should ALWAYS be in the notification tray (even if summoned from the home screen) for consistency.

Bbqthis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2015
Bay Area, CA
i personally think it should ALWAYS be in the notification tray (even if summoned from the home screen) for consistency.
I think it should be removed completely from the Notification tray for consistency really. I hate having large features completely duplicated in multiple locations.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I think it should be removed completely from the Notification tray for consistency really. I hate having large features completely duplicated in multiple locations.
It's kind of a loss of functionality then as widgets were always available in apps with a swipe down

Reactions: profets

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
personally think it should ALWAYS be in the notification tray (even if summoned from the home screen) for consistency.

Totally agree with this. It needs to ne in one place for consistency, and I think that place should be the notification tray so it's accessible from within apps as well as from the home screen. It's fine the way it is now in iOS 9, IMO.

Reactions: na1577

Creek0512

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2012
It's easier to access on the -1 screen as you don't have to reach all the way to the top edge of the screen, which is difficult on larger phones.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
It's easier to access on the -1 screen as you don't have to reach all the way to the top edge of the screen, which is difficult on larger phones.

But you can't access the "-1 / current Spotlight search" screen from within an app. That is/was the handy feature of widgets in the Notification Center to e.g. access MiniKeePass from the Launcher widget while in another app.
I sure hope we still have an option to show widgets in the Notification Center.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
it appears in the notification tray when you open the tray from within an app.

i think this is so you don't have to go home first. it's easy to access in 2 swipes or less wherever you are: lock screen, home screen, in app.

Wow you are right. This is the dumbest UX decision I have ever seen - I have spent the last few days trying to figure out why sometimes I could get to widgets from NC, and sometimes not. This is why.

Also the "3d touch" on notifications is so inconsistent with 3d touch on anything else - it "pops" automatically and can't be dismissed without taking an action - very terrible IMO. Sometimes I just want to glance at an email, then leave it there. Right now if I look at it I have to do something with it (At the very least, dismiss the notification.) Also, they open from the top of the screen, rather than from the location of the 3d touch which also feels inconsistent.

Reactions: na1577

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Wow you are right. This is the dumbest UX decision I have ever seen - I have spent the last few days trying to figure out why sometimes I could get to widgets from NC, and sometimes not. This is why.

Also the "3d touch" on notifications is so inconsistent with 3d touch on anything else - it "pops" automatically and can't be dismissed without taking an action - very terrible IMO. Sometimes I just want to glance at an email, then leave it there. Right now if I look at it I have to do something with it (At the very least, dismiss the notification.) Also, they open from the top of the screen, rather than from the location of the 3d touch which also feels inconsistent.

I haven't got a 3D touch device but I did notice even on my iPhone 6 that I couldn't dismiss quick reply to a message after I'd summoned it. Then I found clicking home button dismissed it. so you could try that.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I haven't got a 3D touch device but I did notice even on my iPhone 6 that I couldn't dismiss quick reply to a message after I'd summoned it. Then I found clicking home button dismissed it. so you could try that.
Yeah that works, but it also dismisses the notification. That makes sense for hitting home I think, but when trying to use 3d touch it kind of defeats the purpose of "peeking" at something.

Reactions: GreyOS

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
But you can't access the "-1 / current Spotlight search" screen from within an app. That is/was the handy feature of widgets in the Notification Center to e.g. access MiniKeePass from the Launcher widget while in another app.

Not sure I understand. Swipe down in an app then swiping right opens the widget drawer. Is this not what you're talking about?

Creek0512

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2012
The widgets are there if you open notification center within an app.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Not sure I understand. Swipe down in an app then swiping right opens the widget drawer. Is this not what you're talking about?

I was under the impression that in iOS 10 you can only access the widgets in the -1 area/Spotlight search area. I didn't knew that you can access it by swiping down in an app and then swipe right to see the widgets so that is the functionality in iOS10 hmm still one step more to access it but at least you can access it from within an app.

In iOS8/9 but I wonder if it's a mistake in iOS10 that it shows. By looking at all the iOS10 stories it won't be available in the Notification Center any longer or will it? I see the screenshot above but I thought it was a bug and it won't make it in iOS10 final right? I hope so though.

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
I was under the impression that in iOS 10 you can only access the widgets in the -1 area/Spotlight search area. I didn't knew that you can access it by swiping down in an app and then swipe right to see the widgets so that is the functionality in iOS10 hmm still one step more to access it but at least you can access it from within an app.

Well. It's a swipe versus tapping on 'Today' at the top do so don't know if it's an extra step.

I do think it's a bit difficult If there are a lot of notifications present. I wish there were a way to set notifications or today screen as the default when you pull down.

theyearof84

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Reality
It's really fun watching Apple basically crowdsource user experience interactions and visual design through the betas. I guess a couple billion in the bank isn't enough to hire really smart people to do it themselves anymore?

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I do think it's a bit difficult If there are a lot of notifications present.
Just came across this with a notification tray full of notifications. When you swipe right over a notification it moves the notification but nothing happens and just bounces back when you let go- this animation, though cute, just obstructs attempts to get to the widget screen. In iOS 9 the notifications didn't react at all if you swiped in that direction so you could easily get to the today screen.

Now, if they're keeping the widget screen in notification centre (at least when in app) then you might think it simple for Apple to fix this by removing that animation and letting you swipe directly to the widgets. But I bet you Apple are hand wringing over whether this fits in their UX guidelines lol. When notifications were edge to edge and flat, you could get away with it. But having no animation when you interact with those bulky boxes? Ooh, would it feel natural? Let's see if they can bring themselves to do it :p

Finally, I'd just like to add the reason I brought down the notification tray and tried to get to the widget screen: because I wanted to check today's date. When I finally made it to the screen (using the free area at the top) I was reminded that they dropped that from iOS 10. Great! I used that to check the date a lot.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's really fun watching Apple basically crowdsource user experience interactions and visual design through the betas. I guess a couple billion in the bank isn't enough to hire really smart people to do it themselves anymore?
Is that what they are doing?

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
No amount of billions of dollars can tell Apple how people actually use their products.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Im not usually a "complainer' about adapting to new ways, but this is very counter-intuitive to have it work one way in apps and one way in the home screen.

Widgets at homescreen 0 are a lot less quick to access than pulling down on any page; especially if you have 4-5+ pages (not even full of apps, but just spread out a bit or in a particular order).

I have a feeling by release they will adjust this.

Reactions: adrianlondon

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just came across this with a notification tray full of notifications. When you swipe right over a notification it moves the notification but nothing happens and just bounces back when you let go- this animation, though cute, just obstructs attempts to get to the widget screen. In iOS 9 the notifications didn't react at all if you swiped in that direction so you could easily get to the today screen.

Now, if they're keeping the widget screen in notification centre (at least when in app) then you might think it simple for Apple to fix this by removing that animation and letting you swipe directly to the widgets. But I bet you Apple are hand wringing over whether this fits in their UX guidelines lol. When notifications were edge to edge and flat, you could get away with it. But having no animation when you interact with those bulky boxes? Ooh, would it feel natural? Let's see if they can bring themselves to do it :p

Finally, I'd just like to add the reason I brought down the notification tray and tried to get to the widget screen: because I wanted to check today's date. When I finally made it to the screen (using the free area at the top) I was reminded that they dropped that from iOS 10. Great! I used that to check the date a lot.

Swipe from the left edge of the screen and it will take you to the widgets screen without that pulling on the notification window. (When notifications are in the way)

Bbqthis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2015
Bay Area, CA
As a UX designer myself, I think that's a bit harsh. User testing is a huge, legitimate part of the UX research phase. Plus, even the best interaction team wants to try different things from time to time.

Reactions: dcp10

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010

But if it wasn't there when on Home Screen it will confuse a heck of a lot of people. No consistency at all.
[doublepost=1466346049][/doublepost]
As a UX designer myself, I think that's a bit harsh. User testing is a huge, legitimate part of the UX research phase. Plus, even the best interaction team wants to try different things from time to time.

Yeah.. But this is so simple they should be able to think for themselves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.