Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
But if it wasn't there when on Home Screen it will confuse a heck of a lot of people. No consistency at all. /QUOTE]

What's inconsistent? It's either a swipe right from the home screen or swipe right from the notification tray.

Last edited:

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
What's inconsistent? It's either a swipe right from the home screen or swipe right from the notification tray.

Hmm.. Did you read the thread? The Today view will appear in Notification Center "only" when in app. If you're in Home Screen, there will be no Today view in it. This inconsistency will confuse every users.

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Hmm.. Did you read the thread? The Today view will appear in Notification Center "only" when in app. If you're in Home Screen, there will be no Today view in it. This inconsistency will confuse every users.

Yes I did. It's never confused me

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Yes I did. It's never confused me

Maybe you don't get simplicity? What app you developed so I can avoid convoluted apps as much as I can?
[doublepost=1466348524][/doublepost]
You just explained it, what's confusing? It's not hard to understand.

Explaining and using is not the same. It's not intuitive. Now we need to remember when in app, swipe down and swipe right but when out of app swipe right all the ways? Who will want to remember that?
This indecisiveness is just painful to watch.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
So you would rather make it two swipes from the home screen instead of one?

I don't mind where they put it really. Just put it in one place. People will learn to adapt. This is the basic in design: people when forced will learn to adapt. Apple does this all the time.

Creek0512

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2012
Exactly, it's not hard, people will learn and adapt. There is no benefit to not having it in next to the notifications when in an app. Why force users to return to the home screen?

Reactions: stooovie

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
well it sure irritated me cuz we used to have spotlight and all that on the left which looks a lot better on iOS 9 btw and then we had today view in the notification center. i actually thought its a bug on iOS 10 til now

no one says to remove it from within an App. they just shouldnt remove it once u r at the springboard

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I honestly just think the solution should be as simple as making sure it's always in the notification centre. Keep the current 'in-app' NC design whereby the paging is quite subtle - we've lost the 'Today | Notitications' tabs at the top but have small dots at the bottom. This means those totally opposed to having widgets in two different places can just try to forget about it and never use it that way. But people who are accustomed to the iOS 9 way can continue swiping between widgets and notifications. And no one will try to swipe on the in-home NC design and find nothing happens.

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
Its a bad UX to have to adapt to several different conditions on a single UI paradigm. There's no reason for widgets not to exist in the pull down when in app.

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Exactly, it's not hard, people will learn and adapt. There is no benefit to not having it in next to the notifications when in an app. Why force users to return to the home screen?
Exactly. It's about ease of use from the home screen it's one swipe for either notifications or widgets

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Well. It's a swipe versus tapping on 'Today' at the top do so don't know if it's an extra step.

I do think it's a bit difficult If there are a lot of notifications present. I wish there were a way to set notifications or today screen as the default when you pull down.

I've always have 'Today' open in NC so no extra tap needed in that case if widgets stick in NC which seems to be the case when you are in an app. While on the homescreen or lock screen you seems to be swiping to the left (or first down and then to the left on homescreen I'm not sure) to see them.

The widgets are there if you open notification center within an app.

I'm curious if this stays as it is. I sure hope it will stay so I can keep continue using widgets quickly while in an app. The current NC works great this way especially with widgets like Launcher, Workflow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.