Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcos8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2016
Greeting everyone. With a decent offer rom Verizon I have the opportunity to upgrade to the new 15Pro from my aging Xs. My current phone work ok but just a little long in the tooth and looking for a refresh thats all. I’m hesitant to make the jump due to what sounds like a phone plagued with issues like the overheating problems etc… Is this 15pro release and new chip a dud or are these problems isolated and would you take the plunge? Thanks for any input

Reactions: weezor and gtmac

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Mine runs somewhat warm but not terrible.

I’d jump to it. I went from iPhone XR to 15 Pro and haven’t regretted it so far.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Greeting everyone. With a decent offer rom Verizon I have the opportunity to upgrade to the new 15Pro from my aging Xs. My current phone work ok but just a little long in the tooth and looking for a refresh thats all. I’m hesitant to make the jump due to what sounds like a phone plagued with issues like the overheating problems etc… Is this 15pro release and new chip a dud or are these problems isolated and would you take the plunge? Thanks for any input
Sorry to burst the rumor bubble but 99% of iPhone 15 Pro/ProMax owners aren't having any of the issues you're concerned about. My 15PM has never overheated and the chip performance is spectacular. I upgraded from a trouble free iPhone X on iOS16 and the 15PM has been trouble free on all versions of iOS17 so far. Quit believing the small percentage of issues reported on forums and YouTube and purchase the phone and find out yourself. If you purchase from Verizon, not sure what returning the device would be like especially if you trade a device in (you may lose your trade-in) compared to Apples holiday return window which is January 8th.. Either way your trade-in might be gone if you decide to use it towards the purchase of a 15Pro

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
I'd also reccomend the regular 15. It has a 48mp sensor which supports native 2x zoom which will look way better than your Xs's 2x.
Biggest advantage for me with 15 over 15 pro is weight and camera bump.
The 15 Pro, while lighter than the 14 Pro, is still almost 10 grams heavier than the Xs.
The 15 is 16 grams lighter than the Xs.
There isn't measurements on Apple's website, but when placing them on a table, the 15 Pro camera bump is soooooo big. So big even that with a case, the bump still protrudes beyond the case.

Reactions: xnview

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
I have the 15 Pro Max. It’s a nice phone but if I were you I’d hold out to the next one. The phone you have is great and sounds like it should last you another year no problem.

Wait another year then you’ll be even more happy to get a new one. Nothing to make you rush to the 15 currently.

Reactions: Pepperfection

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
No issues whatsoever with my 15 Pro, its a beautiful device jam packed with serious performance and quality of life improvements. All the overheating issues was initially due to IOS 17, but since IOS 17.03, this has been resolved. Go for it you will love it. Keep your XS as your back up device.

• Haha
Reactions: Bethanie21

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I’m hesitant to make the jump due to what sounds like a phone plagued with issues like the overheating problems etc…
I think it would be quite a stretch to classify the 15 Pro as that. Mine ran a little warm sometimes when I first got it. Other than that very minor issue I've had zero issues. Haven't regretted getting it for a second. Love the weight, the action button, etc.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

bigfatipod

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
You could always just go to the normal 15. I went from a 11 pro to a basic 15 and have been very happy. I can only imagine you'll see even better improvements.
Plus, with the savings, you could always plan to upgrade to a next-gen sooner rather than your current cycle.

Reactions: macsound1

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Try going to a physical store so you would have an in-hand feel of the device, or better yet, check with someone who already owns one... iPhone 12 series introduced flat sides although Apple have made a slight change with rounding the edges a bit while keeping the flat sides...

I both have iPhone 11 Pro Max and iPhone 14 Pro Max and I find the rounder sides better in my hand and I think Apple should have limited the flat sides to iPhone mini although I'm sure the reason they made it the way it is, model differentiation...

steve217

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2011
NC
Love mine.

Upgraded from an 11 pro.

New goodies included:
1. 5G
2. 6E
3. Lidar.
4. Dynamic Island.
5. Bigger screen in roughly the same form factor.
6. 128GB for what I paid for 64GB back in 2019.
7. Much faster CPU. 2x the RAM.
8. USB-C port.
9. Magsafe.
10. Better cameras.
11. Promotion display.
12. AOD.

... probably others I'm forgetting. Congrats on your new phone.

pommephone

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
XS to 15 is a pretty big upgrade. My wife and I both had XS until I ran over mine with my car. We now each have 15 Pro and are enjoying the improvements.

Reactions: CoffeeMacBook

marcos8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2016
Just an update….the transition to the 15 Pro has been seamless so far. Not a hint of overheating issues even during setup or charging. I did make sure to power up the new phone and update to te newest version of iOS before commencing the data transfer to the new phone.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
I would have got the 15 Pro but I am too poor. I got a good deal on a 14 Pro, a nice bump from an XS Max. Not gonna lie I am still getting used to not having 3D Touch. Love the camera though.
Please enlighten me. Wasn’t 3D Touch pulled via a software update and the current “Haptic Touch” was enabled on all devices, even though older ones actually still had the real 3D Touch?

Reactions: freeagent

timshundo

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Save for antenna-gate, every iPhone launch has rumors of a Big Issue "plaguing" users and every iPhone launch it becomes how clearly overblown the coverage was.

My iPhone 15 Pro Max is a perfect phone.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Save for antenna-gate, every iPhone launch has rumors of a Big Issue "plaguing" users and every iPhone launch it becomes how clearly overblown the coverage was.
100% agree. I always use a case so I didn't even consider antennagate a big deal.

CoffeeMacBook

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2021
I'm in the same boat!

I was thinking of holding off and getting the iPhone 16 Pro, but bit the bullet and will be trading in my 2018 iPhone Xs Max for the iPhone 15 Pro. I believe Apple raised their trade-in value, and with that news I figured I might as well finally just upgrade. I really want a camera quality upgrade. I also will be trading in my Apple Watch S6 for the S9, and getting the Black Friday deal.

I haven't gotten my iPhone 15 Pro in the mail yet, but I think almost 5 generations apart, you'll notice a difference no matter what. I opted for the smaller size this time around after almost a decade of using the larger sized phones I'm just ready for a change and something a bit more discreet and portable.

I think for me, one of the biggest reasons for the upgrade is the camera quality as well as the ability to record videos with Apple Log footage. I'll be using the iPhone 15 Pro to photograph a full frame camera that I want to sell, and use the money to buy the Sony A7CII. I just didn't want to buy a new full frame camera before offloading the older one.

Long story short, I found a way to justify the purchase lol

Edit: I'm also aware of the overheating and more fragile glass setup; but I always put my phone in a case, and so I opted for a really good case on Amazon's early Black Friday sale ;)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.