Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Owenpatry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2019
Hey All!

First post so bare with me!

First, a little background to understand my motive:
I’m a freelancer in the film biz in Southern California and I go to a lot of different places for work. My wife and I plan on moving in the near future and I’ve always wondered what the prime location is for me.
So I want to make a shortcut or add an action to an existing shortcut that will record my location and with the help of a third party app take that info and plot it to a map. The icing the cake would be if the app could then extrapolate the center point of all the plotted points relative to the number of times I logged it.

For example. Let’s say I visit the same film studio for different projects throughout the year and it is at x location to the east. And then I work at a house that’s way far out to the west but only for one day. It wouldn’t make sense if you averaged out the two locations that that location would be dead center between the two. It should be weighted to the location in the east, that I visited more often.

Anyone using any app like this? Or using shortcuts with existing actions to do anything like this?

Owenpatry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2019
Yes it does, but it plots it one city at a time and Los Angeles is a lot of different cities bundled together so unless there is a way to combine all of those into one cohesive map then it’s useless to me unfortunately.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
this app you need sounds interesting.

i have a question.

suppose there are 3 cities.
for this example all 3 cities are in a straight line to each other.
City A is western most city. City B is exactly in the middle. City C is the eastern most city.
You shuttle between City B and City C a total of 99 times.
On 1 time only you go from City A to City C.

Do you expect/want the result of yr app to show the median point to be:

1 Almost mid-point between City B and City C (reflecting such a high visitation between these 2 cities) but ever so slightly west of the mid-point between these 2 cities to reflect the one time visit to City A?
or
2 Exactly located on top of City B?

in actual fact, for the data to be useful, you need to also figure travel time between two locations.
using just the GPS location data will not give you the info you need to figure out where to live.

Owenpatry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2019
this app you need sounds interesting.

i have a question.

suppose there are 3 cities.
for this example all 3 cities are in a straight line to each other.
City A is western most city. City B is exactly in the middle. City C is the eastern most city.
You shuttle between City B and City C a total of 99 times.
On 1 time only you go from City A to City C.

Do you expect/want the result of yr app to show the median point to be:

1 Almost mid-point between City B and City C (reflecting such a high visitation between these 2 cities) but ever so slightly west of the mid-point between these 2 cities to reflect the one time visit to City A?
or
2 Exactly located on top of City B?

in actual fact, for the data to be useful, you need to also figure travel time between two locations.
using just the GPS location data will not give you the info you need to figure out where to live.

The quick answer to your question is Answer number 1.

However I’m not so much interested in travel time between the two cities because I have a time tracker and shortcuts set up for that already. I’m mostly interested in which locations did I work at the most throughout a year and finding the middle point between all of them weighted to the number of visits per location.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.