Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
This is a big mistake. Whomever Apple is partnering for the returns obviously doesn’t have the same conviction to customer service as Apple
A lesson to be learned for the customer f for next year ‘don’t DO this’!

Hate to break it to ya but neither does Apple. My experience over the last 2 weeks has been HORRIBLE. Apple is now call center based and these idiots are not Apple employees and can do little to solve real problems.

The call centers cannot take ownership, and know little about what happens in the store.

And what kind of retails stores fail to answer calls. The call center tried to call a store and they were auto directed back to the call center.

Right now I rate Apple as pathetic for customer support.

And why do they have little connection or control over their partners (as evidenced in this thread). Because call centers are not Apple but just another partner.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Hate to break it to ya but neither does Apple. My experience over the last 2 weeks has been HORRIBLE. Apple is now call center based and these idiots are not Apple employees and can do little to solve real problems.

The call centers cannot take ownership, and know little about what happens in the store.

And what kind of retails stores fail to answer calls. The call center tried to call a store and they were auto directed back to the call center.

Right now I rate Apple as pathetic for customer support.

And why do they have little connection or control over their partners (as evidenced in this thread). Because call centers are not Apple but just another partner.
Disagree x100. Apple customer service has been exemplary for my needs the past 5 years.

Go get customer support for literally anything else and report back. There are two or three places that come close but not quite.

Reactions: EdMan and mrbjr

HobbesInVA

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2018
Chesapeake, VA
I'm frustrated by the trade-in process for my S4 watch. Apple or whoever the trade-in partner is...Has been in possession of it for 8 days and it still shows "Received by Trade-in Partner". Apple confirmed they are the vendor for the trade-in and they see an "Inspecting" status. The CSR told me due to the volume of trade-ins that it could be up to 4-6 weeks before the entire process completes.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Disagree x100. Apple customer service has been exemplary for my needs the past 5 years.

Go get customer support for literally anything else and report back. There are two or three places that come close but not quite.

I did not say other companies are better. I said Apple has devolved. I am happy you've have had no substantive issues but when they occur, Apple support is now another failure point.
[automerge]1570207292[/automerge]
I'm frustrated by the trade-in process for my S4 watch. Apple or whoever the trade-in partner is...Has been in possession of it for 8 days and it still shows "Received by Trade-in Partner". Apple confirmed they are the vendor for the trade-in and they see an "Inspecting" status. The CSR told me due to the volume of trade-ins that it could be up to 4-6 weeks before the entire process completes.

You will get your money, and the expiration of their offer no longer applies. Sadly, this is another example of how Apple support has failed. Apple systems are in now way connected to the Third party, and when you call for help...the call center people just read what's on the screen. Nothing more. This is not new this year, but it is something that continues year after year.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I’m going trade-in in the store in the future rather than through the mail. I know you’re not referencing the iUP, but I got my trade in kit (finally, after a screw up on Apple's part with the first kit) on 9/28, and I dropped it off to Fedex on 9/29 (I received my new iPhone on 9/20). On 9/30, I got an email saying that my trade in had been cancelled because they hadn't received my old phone in time, and my old phone would be returned to me. I called Apple, and they're looking into it.

Anyway, I subsequently decided to return my new 11 Pro Max after I got that email because I'm not going to risk the trade in being denied and me being stuck with two iPhones. I bought an unlocked Pro Max at full price from the Apple Store, and I'll see if Apple will resell it to me under the iUP (they did this last year for me) when I get the old phone back, and trade it in in the store. If Apple doesn't accommodate me, I'll return this Pro Max, rinse and repeat. It's a bit annoying.

I saw that my XS Max arrived at the trade in partner yesterday. I'm concerned that they'll drag their feet about returning it to me (or that it will be damaged). I took lots of pics and video of the device before I sent it to them: it was in excellent condition.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I’m going trade-in in the store in the future rather than through the mail. I know you’re not referencing the iUP, but I got my trade in kit (finally, after a screw up on Apple's part with the first kit) on 9/28, and I dropped it off to Fedex on 9/29 (I received my new iPhone on 9/20). On 9/30, I got an email saying that my trade in had been cancelled because they hadn't received my old phone in time, and my old phone would be returned to me. I called Apple, and they're looking into it.

Anyway, I subsequently decided to return my new 11 Pro Max after I got that email because I'm not going to risk the trade in being denied and me being stuck with two iPhones. I bought an unlocked Pro Max at full price from the Apple Store, and I'll see if Apple will resell it to me under the iUP (they did this last year for me) when I get the old phone back, and trade it in in the store. If Apple doesn't accommodate me, I'll return this Pro Max, rinse and repeat. It's a bit annoying.

I saw that my XS Max arrived at the trade in partner yesterday. I'm concerned that they'll drag their feet about returning it to me (or that it will be damaged). I took lots of pics and video of the device before I sent it to them: it was in excellent condition.

I had the same thing happen on a different trade. Make calls to Apple and be persistent as the people that answer the phone are in a call center and not Apple employees. I got my trade amount in the end.

I am presently fighting them over the IUP box. I picked up the phone in the store but kept the old one due to the eSIM still being active at the time. I called Apple the day I picked up the phone and they ordered me an IUP box which they shipped. After a week they revealed to me they shipped it to the store. Boneheads. Now a second box is supposedly ordered but I have no tracking or confirmation.

I wonder if I can just go to any store and turn in the old phone. The Apple call center did not know. Can you believe that.

Reactions: Pipper99

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I had the same thing happen on a different trade. Make calls to Apple and be persistent as the people that answer the phone are in a call center and not Apple employees. I got my trade amount in the end.

I am presently fighting them over the IUP box. I picked up the phone in the store but kept the old one due to the eSIM still being active at the time. I called Apple the day I picked up the phone and they ordered me an IUP box which they shipped. After a week they revealed to me they shipped it to the store. Boneheads. Now a second box is supposedly ordered but I have no tracking or confirmation.

I wonder if I can just go to any store and turn in the old phone. The Apple call center did not know. Can you believe that.

I tried to turn in the old phone at my Apple Store, but they said that they couldn't accept it because Apple was expecting a mailed-in return. The rep showed me the message on her device. Ugh.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I sent mine in last Thursday via FedEx. Was delivered to a depot in Pennsylvania on Friday and I got an email that evening saying my trade in was complete. My Xs Max was in pristine condition.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
I sent mine in last Thursday via FedEx. Was delivered to a depot in Pennsylvania on Friday and I got an email that evening saying my trade in was complete. My Xs Max was in pristine condition.

As is my X. I am thinking there are multiple ”vendors” per say to do these cause mine was sent by UPS to the same location.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
FINALLY!!!!

3283F26D-1FB3-4A67-843C-31FB4EA99B75.jpeg

Reactions: mrbjr

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
Me too! Just looked at your post then checked my status ,all done and exactly what they promised.

I am NOT a patient person, lol. But hey, they gave me what was promised so I’m happy now :) The wait was grueling though.

Reactions: mrbjr

esf215

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2013
I am NOT a patient person, lol. But hey, they gave me what was promised so I’m happy now :) The wait was grueling though.

I'm not a patience person as well. Got my refund this morning. Next time I'm not choosing mail-in. I would rather take it to the store and trade it in.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
I'm not a patience person as well. Got my refund this morning. Next time I'm not choosing mail-in. I would rather take it to the store and trade it in.

I wish I could. The closest store is almost 2 hours away from me. I could have someone take me, but it’s just the madness and hustle and bustle.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
So how long after the Email is received has everyone received the credit to your card? I got the email but my card has yet to be credited.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
So how long after the Email is received has everyone received the credit to your card? I got the email but my card has yet to be credited.

It states up to 5 business days.. it just all depends on your card company and how long it takes for them to process things..

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
I tried to turn in the old phone at my Apple Store, but they said that they couldn't accept it because Apple was expecting a mailed-in return. The rep showed me the message on her device. Ugh.
Once you start the process returning it with the box they provide the serial number is locked into that transaction
It’s a slow process

esf215

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2013
Yes I understand that. Just checking to see if anyone has received their credit yet an how long it took. Mine is through my Apple Card.

I got the email on Thursday night and the credit came this morning on my Apple Card

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.