Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4GLTE lover

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
I am wanting to trade in my Verizon iPhone 4S which is under contract Via Samsung's Website and use the $200 from that in order to buy Galaxy S4. Would this work since I am under a contract?? Chances are I'm not doing this because I have just JailBroken my iPhone 4S 6.1.2 and love it but there is a possibility. So I was wondering.

Last edited:

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Are you hoping that Verizon will let you use an "upgrade" to get the S4? If so, I doubt it because you're still under your 2 years.. What you can do is sell the iP4S and use that money for your cancellation fee and use whats leftover plus the difference to buy the S4 without contract.

4GLTE lover

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Im just wondering if i did that would i be able to get a galaxy s4 for the $200 that i received from giving them my IP4S

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I doubt it. The top two carriers (Verizon and AT&T) are strict about early upgrades. Might be possible if you pull the right strings but rare.

Again, your best bet might be to pay the early termination fee and sign a new 2yr contract in which it should qualify as a new contract meaning you can get whatever specials your carriers is offering.

Can anyone confirm this?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
If I go to this website: http://www.samsungupgrade.com/?q=main and trade my phone will Verizon allow me to use the Galaxy S4 on my line which is still under a contract??
I don't think you can do that with your existing contract. If you are not eligible for an upgrade or at the end of your contract with Verizon then no. these trade in offers are mainly for upgrades (at the end of your 2 year contract) or new lines of service.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
Do not listen to these guys bro,your contract with Verizon is not on the phone,its on the service.You can use any phone you want and trading,selling or smashing your phone will not touch your contract.

Right now you can buy a used gs4 off craigslist and walk into a Verizon store and say I need a sim made for a gs4 with my number and they will do it for FREE and 5 min after you pop the new sim in your gs4 your online account with Verizon will show a gs4 instead of an iphone 4.

let me repeat this,your contract is not on the hardware its the service you need to have for 2 years.If your iphone 4 gets stolen you can use a cheap old phone you have or buy a new phone full retail and use it.

trade your phone up!!!

you can buy a unlocked gs4 at Verizon at full retail and then put in the iemi number on the Samsung site and they will mail you a 200 gift card for getting an gs4

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Do not listen to these guys bro,your contract with Verizon is not on the phone,its on the service.You can use any phone you want and trading,selling or smashing your phone will not touch your contract.

Right now you can buy a used gs4 off craigslist and walk into a Verizon store and say I need a sim made for a gs4 with my number and they will do it for FREE and 5 min after you pop the new sim in your gs4 your online account with Verizon will show a gs4 instead of an iphone 4.

let me repeat this,your contract is not on the hardware its the service you need to have for 2 years.If your iphone 4 gets stolen you can use a cheap old phone you have or buy a new phone full retail and use it.

trade your phone up!!!

you can buy a unlocked gs4 at Verizon at full retail and then put in the iemi number on the Samsung site and they will mail you a 200 gift card for getting an gs4

If I'm not mistaken, OP is trying to avoid paying the premium on a phone; he wants the discounted price that comes with new contracts.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
If I'm not mistaken, OP is trying to avoid paying the premium on a phone; he wants the discounted price that comes with new contracts.

If he is on a family plan he can transfer an upgrade for 30 bucks on Verizon if another line has an upgrade.

I thought he just wanted to trade his old phone to Samsung for the rebate and he can do that as well.

4GLTE lover

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
If he is on a family plan he can transfer an upgrade for 30 bucks on Verizon if another line has an upgrade.

I thought he just wanted to trade his old phone to Samsung for the rebate and he can do that as well.

Thanks a family member has an upgrade available so I might use theirs, then use the money from my 4S ($200) for the phone price. :cool:

----------

I would really like a Samsung Galaxy S4 but not real sure I should make the switch from iPhone to Samsung Galaxy S4. Anyone have reasons why I should besides what I know: open not restricted like iOS, true multitasking, and Flash Player...Or is there another Android Phone you recommend??:confused:

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Note 2 is great but too big for some and there's a new model being released soon.

I've read Sony Xperia Z is pretty good but the top two phones now is the S4 and HTC One.

4GLTE lover

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Note 2 is great but too big for some and there's a new model being released soon.

I've read Sony Xperia Z is pretty good but the top two phones now is the S4 and HTC One.

I have considered the HTC One before but shoud it come to Verizon anytime soon you think??

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
I get the ease of trading your 4S for $200, but you can get a lot more than that by selling it yourself on a website like Cell Trader Online or Swappa. They're going for anywhere from $250-$275 on Swappa right now.

flipnap

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
if i were you i would go and just buy one on a different carrier. use the s4 for two weeks and return it. that should help you make your decision. if you go through all the hassle of trading and upgrading and blah blah you might end up wishing you didnt. the s4 wasnt for me and im glad i had a chance to return it. and this isnt fanboy crap. it just wasnt the phone i was expecting and had a lot of things i didnt like about it. the htc one was nice as well but i returned it for different reasons. i had two android phones out at once and then my iphone and used all three of them extensively at the same time..

if youre absolutely sure you want an s4 talk to your carrier and tell them its time to 'upgrade' and you LOVE their service, theyre the best, theyve always been so great to you.. then tell them you just want a newer phone. theyll hook you up.

4GLTE lover

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
if i were you i would go and just buy one on a different carrier. use the s4 for two weeks and return it. that should help you make your decision. if you go through all the hassle of trading and upgrading and blah blah you might end up wishing you didnt. the s4 wasnt for me and im glad i had a chance to return it. and this isnt fanboy crap. it just wasnt the phone i was expecting and had a lot of things i didnt like about it. the htc one was nice as well but i returned it for different reasons. i had two android phones out at once and then my iphone and used all three of them extensively at the same time..

if youre absolutely sure you want an s4 talk to your carrier and tell them its time to 'upgrade' and you LOVE their service, theyre the best, theyve always been so great to you.. then tell them you just want a newer phone. theyll hook you up.

What kind of phone did you end up with??

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL

What didn't you like about the S4?

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
What didn't you like about the S4?
If flipnap played with his S4 for two weeks before returning it, I'd bet he never flashed a ROM into it, or - less extreme - used the various tools to nuke the bloatware payload on the stock S4 ROM.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
If flipnap played with his S4 for two weeks before returning it, I'd bet he never flashed a ROM into it, or - less extreme - used the various tools to nuke the bloatware payload on the stock S4 ROM.

So true; the bloatware included in these devices kill the android experience.

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
Your sig says you have (or used to have) a jailbroken 4S, which implies TouchWiz won't work for you. However, you don't necessarily need to buy your S4 from Google - can buy one off Amazon (make sure it's i9505, i9500 has NO LTE) and then root/flash to your heart's content.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.