Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Hello again,

I have asked this group in the past about locations that I was going to and without missing a beat, you guys and gals have provided some of the best advise around.

I am once again looking at you for some advice, tips, and items not to miss or try when visiting London and parts of England in May. We will be in the city for a total of four days while also traveling down to Yelverton and back over the course of three days, and there are some typical touristy stuff, don't know if we will hit them all, but this is some of the stuff we want to do so far:
  • Whitechapel area (don't know if we will do an actual tour or create our own)
  • Sky Garden
  • Buckingham Palace
  • Tower Bridge
  • Battersea Power Station
  • Tower of London
  • Hyde Park
  • Great Clock of Westminister
  • Jubilee Gardens
  • Several Abbey's
    • Buckland Abbey
    • Glastonbury Abbey
  • Lancaster Castle
  • Lydford Castle and Saxon and Town
  • Stonehenge
We have several locations for food such as:
  • Goddards at Greenwich
  • Harrods Food Halls
  • Lost Souls Pizza Camden (Vampire themed... wife really wants this one)
  • Borough Market
  • Creme
  • GONG
  • Willows on the Roof
  • Jack and Beyond
We already booked a Tea on the bus trip around the town once we are back in London.

If you have any tips or other items that you feel are a must see especially places to eat... We want to try a traditional english breakfast and some fish and chips!

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: max2

Rainman1915

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2020
Definitely ride the London Eye, its close to Big Ben. Buy your tickets online if you are going. Also the app gpsmycity will give you all the attractions, its a yearly subscription but worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: rhett7660

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
a traditional english breakfast

When you go for a “full English” you might want to make sure you have some antacids or heartburn meds nearby, if you are not accustomed to British morning cuisine…
;-)

As for recommendations, you probably will get better tailored responses if you let us know your interests and the activities you enjoyed the most on past trips. For example, if you don’t care about English monarchs, you probably don’t want people telling you to visit Windsor Castle.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Westminster Abbey is amazing, and well worth a visit.

The Tower of London is superb, but is so good and has so much to see that I would advise that you plan to spend at least a full morning (or afternoon) there, better still, a full day, (which may be difficult if you only have four days).

If you are a history buff, (I am ), Hampton Court is also well worth a visit.

As is the British Museum.

For galleries, the National Gallery and the Tate are both excellent, as is the Natural History Museum.

A small, but gorgeous museum/gallery that is worth visiting is the exquisite Wallace Collection.

London also has a terrific theatre scene; you might want to look into trying to take in a show.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA

The Tower of London is superb, but is so good and has so much to see that I would advise that you plan to spend at least a full morning (or afternoon) there, better still, a full day, (which may be difficult if you only have four days).

For galleries, the National Gallery and the Tate are both excellent, as is the Natural History Museum.

A small, but gorgeous museum/gallery that is worth visiting is the exquisite Wallace Collection.

London also has a terrific theatre scene; you might want to look into trying to take in a show.
Seconded on Westminster Abbey. I always thought it looked better than Notre Dame.

Also seconded for British Museum. Make sure to see the reading room and the Cyrus Cylinder.

As for the Harrods food halls, it should be your first stop after you drop off your bags at wherever you're staying.

If you can get a reservation, I also recommend Gordon Ramsay on Royal Hospital Road.

scubachap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
UK
I notice you have Stonehenge on the list... I'd would prefer Avebury over stonehenge but admittedly its not as famous - but (in my opinion) a better experience (and a bit older) plus you can easily take in Silbury hill and the West Kennet Long barrow but that might be a bit off route particularly if you're traveling down the A303. (More of an M4 route). If you're traveling west further south and avoiding the A303 then Maiden Castle is well worth a stop.

Premier Inns are a decent cheaper chain hotel and can be decent value if you're after a simple no-frill overnight stop.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I notice you have Stonehenge on the list... I'd would prefer Avebury over stonehenge but admittedly its not as famous - but (in my opinion) a better experience (and a bit older) plus you can easily take in Silbury hill and the West Kennet Long barrow but that might be a bit off route particularly if you're traveling down the A303. (More of an M4 route). If you're traveling west further south and avoiding the A303 then Maiden Castle is well worth a stop.

Premier Inns are a decent cheaper chain hotel and can be decent value if you're after a simple no-frill overnight stop.

Agree about Avebury over Stonehenge.

Would also give Glastonbury a miss; Gloucester Cathedral and Wells Cathedral are both stunning, and I would strongly recommend them instead, (and Wells city has some wonderful medieval architecture, including the spectacular Vicar's Close, which are well worth visiting) and - if you want the ambience and atmosphere of ruined abbeys - to my mind, Tintern Abbey far surpasses Glastonbury.

scubachap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
UK
Would also give Glastonbury a miss;
Ha, Rhett's holiday might not be complete without a plastic dragon ornament, a dangly quartz crystal and a pack of tarot cards...

Also, as Yelverton is sort of just up the road gear yourself up for that full english (breakfast) by doing a Plymouth pub crawl and taking in a curry house the night before - now, that would be a real English night out...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Ha, Rhett's holiday might not be complete without a plastic dragon ornament, a dangly quartz crystal and a pack of tarot cards...

Also, as Yelverton is sort of just up the road gear yourself up for that full english (breakfast) by doing a Plymouth pub crawl and taking in a curry house the night before - now, that would be a real English night out...

Well, yes.

Exactly.

Anyway, while I thrill to old cathedrals, castles, cities, and ruined abbeys, - and love prowling around and exploring medieval town centres - but must admit that Glastonbury doesn't do it for me and never did (and yes, there was a time - once - when friends persuaded me to climb to the very top of Glastonbury Tor, an action undertaken against my better judgment, and one that did not convince me to alter my view of Glastonbury).

Now, Cirenester is wonderful, and incredibly atmospheric, and the medieval church is spectacular.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008

We will be flying into Heathrow and then driving down to "Yelverton" (A386) and spending a day there and then coming back up to London by taking a northeastern route to get back. Thank you very much for the recommendation of Avebury!!! Going to see if it fits into our driving...!!!!!!

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008

Yikes... Curry and beer... double yikes...

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Agree about Avebury over Stonehenge.

Would also give Glastonbury a miss; Gloucester Cathedral and Wells Cathedral are both stunning, and I would strongly recommend them instead, (and Wells city has some wonderful medieval architecture, including the spectacular Vicar's Close, which are well worth visiting) and - if you want the ambience and atmosphere of ruined abbeys - to my mind, Tintern Abbey far surpasses Glastonbury.

We do want to see some ruined abbeys! Looking up Tintern now!

Thank you all again!!!!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
If your travels take you to Avebury, I recommend that you try to take in Bradford-on-Avon, (which is nearby), an absolutely stunning medieval (with some Georgian architecture, as well) village (it was a wealthy town in the Middle Ages, its wealth derived from the wool trade); again, an amazing place.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
If your travels take you to Avebury, I recommend that you try to take in Bradford-on-Avon, (which is nearby), an absolutely stunning medieval (with some Georgian architecture, as well) village (it was a wealthy town in the Middle Ages, its wealth derived from the wool trade); again, an amazing place.
Bradford might be a good possibility... Sadly I don't think we will make it to Tinern on this trip looking at our map and locations.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Bradford might be a good possibility... Sadly I don't think we will make it to Tinern on this trip looking at our map and locations.

Note that this is Bradford-on-Avon, (a medieval market town), not the large city Bradford.

Bradford-on-Avon is well worth a visit, it is an amazing place if you like history, and places redolent with the atmosphere and weight of history - and is perhaps 35-40 minutes from Avebury.

Reactions: rhett7660

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Tintern is wonderful, but, unfortunately, may be off your planned paths, or routes.

I visited on a day trip several years ago with good friends and it was wonderful, extraordinarily tranquil, - I would almost say spiritual, certainly it felt "good for, soothing for, the soul", and exquisitely beautiful; actually, I thought it incredibly restful.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Note that this is Bradford-on-Avon, (a medieval market town), not the large city Bradford.

Bradford-on-Avon is well worth a visit, it is an amazing place if you like history, and places redolent with the atmosphere and weight of history - and is perhaps 35-40 minutes from Avebury.

Oh yeah,,,, Bradford-on-Avon, I just shortened it lol.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
We do want to see some ruined abbeys!

If you dig ruined abbeys, you should either extend your trip or take another trip up to The North. One of the most spectacular "ruins" there is Fountains Abbey/Studley Royal Water Garden. And you can get a feel for what it was like UNruined not too far away at Durham Cathedral.

Plus Whitby, Byland, Rievaulx...the list goes on!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, if you like the Who, Big Bradford is part of the Leeds/Bradford airport conglomeration. And some say the best curries in England are in Bradford...
;-)
"Big" Bradford - the Bradford that most people think of when the name Bradford is mentioned (which is why I stressed the "Bradford-on-Avon" element of the medieval town, and which is its formal name) is indeed (justly) famous both for curries (yes, some of the best in the UK are to be found there) and for Asian food in general.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004

London.....it's one of those cities with seemingly endless things to see and do.....but that's what return trips are for!

Here's my reaction to some of the recommendations;

Westminster Abbey.....definitely yes and then you can check out Parliament, Big Ben and walk up Whitehall (I think that's its name) to Trafalgar Square and see all of that.....and if your feet are still functioning, head over to Covent Garden.....or maybe SOHO and Chinatown.....skip the great National Gallery and the National Portrait Gallery unless you're wanting to see fabulous art

Tower of London....definitely....in spite of the crowds.....and there's the Tower Bridge while you're there

Hampton court.....an amazing place (I went in winter and it was extremely cold!, but it's an astonishing place)....well worth the half day it'll take

British Museum.....yes and it's a massive treasure trove of things; so see the highlights and save the endless other fabulous stuff for next time...or the time after.....or the time after that...and yeah there's always more

National Gallery and the Tate (the Tate Modern I presume, as opposed to the Tate Britain?)......serious art museums, so unless that's a focus, there are too many other things to see....although getting to the Tate Modern by way of St Paul's Cathedral (worth a visit in itself, climb the dome) and then across the wobbly bridge is fun. And then there's an enjoyable walk with various distractions along the Thames towards South Bank and ultimately the London Eye

The London Eye.....I liked it, but it's all about the view.

And theater...or theatre...yes, fun but assuming the visitor is still functioning after a full day of truismo

From others, including the OP;

Harrods Food Halls..... isn't what it used to be, nope, the same with Fortnum & Mason....for a fun food adventure, I'm remembering a fabulous outdoor food market at Camden Lock. All sorts of amazing things. Or go to Chinatown to eat. Or go to ffiona's in Kensington.....British food; get the sticky toffee pudding for dessert....such memories for me

Day trip to York? well why not?

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
If you dig ruined abbeys, you should either extend your trip or take another trip up to The North. One of the most spectacular "ruins" there is Fountains Abbey/Studley Royal Water Garden. And you can get a feel for what it was like UNruined not too far away at Durham Cathedral.

Plus Whitby, Byland, Rievaulx...the list goes on!
Couldn’t agree more. Fountains Abbey is stunning. Especially if you get some good light. Also because it’s off the beaten track, it’s not too crowded.

jyw104

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2020
Harrods Food Halls..... isn't what it used to be, nope, the same with Fortnum & Mason....
Yep. Wouldn't bother with either of those. Borough Market is a good street eat place and if time allows at the weekend, Maltby Street near Bermondsey (jubilee line)

Fry up? If you're near Victoria Station, Regency Cafe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.