Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Thanks this thread helps a lot.

Going to England and London soon myself.

Last edited:

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
The oldest restaurant in London, Rules is a fabulous experience.

I come from the North and live in North Yorkshire so would also echo those that have mentioned the great, nearly a 1000 year old Abbeys. Bylands is near a small village called Wass, the restaurant there is fabulous and one of the top TV chefs, James Martin, often takes his mother there and mentions it in one of his many books. (Stapylton Arms).

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
The museums in London are amazing. It depends what you are interested in of course but my vote would be for the Victoria and Albert. You can easily spend an entire day there
The Natural History museum and The Science Museum are also truly world class. You can check them all out online to get an idea of what's there.
All the museums are in the same area too so it's easy to go from one to another.
London is also world class for theatre so do have a think about taking in a show.
Stonehenge: when I was a kid I remember playing on the stones but of course that had to stop. I haven't been for a long time but the last I heard you could only see them from a distance and 15 minutes about covers it.
It's a long way to go to see something from a distance for 15 minutes.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The museums in London are amazing. It depends what you are interested in of course but my vote would be for the Victoria and Albert. You can easily spend an entire day there
The Natural History museum and The Science Museum are also truly world class. You can check them all out online to get an idea of what's there.
All the museums are in the same area too so it's easy to go from one to another.
London is also world class for theatre so do have a think about taking in a show.
Stonehenge: when I was a kid I remember playing on the stones but of course that had to stop. I haven't been for a long time but the last I heard you could only see them from a distance and 15 minutes about covers it.
It's a long way to go to see something from a distance for 15 minutes.
Victoria & Albert and the Natural History Museum are firm favourites, but I also strongly recommend the British Museum; it is brilliant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Macky-Mac

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
London has quite a number of interesting museums, but if a visitor only sees one museum in London, it should definitely be the British Museum.
Hampton Court is also incredible, and the Tower of London is mind-blowing.

However, of the museums, the British Museum is spell-binding; I cannot praise it highly enough.

Reactions: max2

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Not sure how late this is, but if you're a beatles fan (like me), you should definitely check out abbey road studios and try to take a picture walking the street! It takes a few tries but when you get a good one its pretty epic (thanks mom for taking mine). also most people who drive there are pretty understanding haha.

when i went, i tried to be as accurate to the album cover so I wore a suit and walked barefoot (like paul). met some cool people there who appreciated the authenticity lol. Additionally, there are some great sushi places <1 mile of abbey road if you like sushi. If you like indian food, check out dishoom in covent garden.

Also the last time I visited happened to be the opening day of the world cup 2018 so i went to had fish and chips + guinness with my parents at a rowdy football pub, was pretty cool.

London is perhaps the only city that always exceeds my expectations everytime I visit; cant wait to visit again.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Not sure how late this is, but if you're a beatles fan (like me), you should definitely check out abbey road studios and try to take a picture walking the street! It takes a few tries but when you get a good one its pretty epic (thanks mom for taking mine). also most people who drive there are pretty understanding haha.

when i went, i tried to be as accurate to the album cover so I wore a suit and walked barefoot (like paul). met some cool people there who appreciated the authenticity lol. Additionally, there are some great sushi places <1 mile of abbey road if you like sushi. If you like indian food, check out dishoom in covent garden.

Also the last time I visited happened to be the opening day of the world cup 2018 so i went to had fish and chips + guinness with my parents at a rowdy football pub, was pretty cool.

London is perhaps the only city that always exceeds my expectations everytime I visit; cant wait to visit again.
I absolutely adore the (album) cover sleeve art on the Beatles album Abbey Road.

Iconic.

Wonderful.

And - just to make the point that you are not the only person who needed more than one take to get that shot just perfectly right - have you ever seen the collection of shots taken on Abbey Road that day?

Only one of the shots - the one used in the album - worked perfectly.

Reactions: max2 and impulse462

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
I absolutely adore the (album) cover sleeve art on the Beatles album Abbey Road.

Iconic.

Wonderful.

And - just to make the point that you are not the only person who needed more than one take to get that shot just perfectly right - have you ever seen the collection of shots taken on Abbey Road that day?

Only one of the shots - the one used in the album - worked perfectly.
Yes I have! They're pretty great and some are kind of goofy. Similar to their early takes of their songs, I appreciate those pictures because they both show that despite being super talented and legendary in their own right the beatles are still human.

IIRC from what I read, they originally wanted to do the album cover at Mr. Everest but decided that would probably be too much work so they decided just to shoot it outside abbey road studios. Only the beatles could turn a picture of crossing the street into an iconic legendary piece of coverart. This is before talking about any of the songs on the actual album haha

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes I have! They're pretty great and some are kind of goofy. Similar to their early takes of their songs, I appreciate those pictures because they both show that despite being super talented and legendary in their own right the beatles are still human.
Yes, those pictures look almost - but not quite - right.

The imperfect human touch.

IIRC from what I read, they originally wanted to do the album cover at Mr. Everest but decided that would probably be too much work
I didn't know that.
so they decided just to shoot it outside abbey road studios. Only the beatles could turn a picture of crossing the street into an iconic legendary piece of coverart.
Agree absolutely.
This is before talking about any of the songs on the actual album haha
A superb album. Close to flawless. And certainly timeless.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
A superb album. Close to flawless. And certainly timeless.
One reason I think abbey road in particular is special is because 1) of course only the beatles could release an album like it 2) only the beatles could release this album after experiencing their whole career as a band first.

From the teenybopper albums (up until a hard days night, help), to their grass period (help, rubber soul, revolver) to their psychedelics period (revolver, sgt pepper), to their "getting back to basic rock/fighting period" (white album, let it be). it seems like they needed to experience all that to produce an album as magnificent as abbey road.

while all of the beatles albums are iconic in their own way amongst beatles and rocknroll fans, i think thats one reason abbey road has has somewhat transcended in the general non-beatles/rock fandom. all their experience and effort is displayed in this one album the most.

• Love
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
One reason I think abbey road in particular is special is because 1) of course only the beatles could release an album like it 2) only the beatles could release this album after experiencing their whole career as a band first.

From the teenybopper albums (up until a hard days night, help), to their grass period (help, rubber soul, revolver) to their psychedelics period (revolver, sgt pepper), to their "getting back to basic rock/fighting period" (white album, let it be). it seems like they needed to experience all that to produce an album as magnificent as abbey road.

while all of the beatles albums are iconic in their own way amongst beatles and rocknroll fans, i think thats one reason abbey road has has somewhat transcended in the general non-beatles/rock fandom. all their experience and effort is displayed in this one album the most.
An excellent, beautifully written, and well-argued, post.

Anyway, I am in complete agreement with you.

Abbey Road is close to a flawless album, and I love that album cover art; it's timeless, and it is the world of my childhood. I know streets almost exactly like that.

Reactions: impulse462

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
We loved England. What I am finding, a week is sometimes not enough for some places. There is sooooo much to see, do, and experience. We went all the way down to Yelverton... Loved it and loved the drive and sight seeing outside of the big city. We did a lot, however we didn't get to do everything. However, we are already booking our next trip which will be Munich Germany and then down to Croatia.

Also, we loved the food... we didn't have a bad meal the entire trip and yes, I tried the traditional breakfast and freaking loved it! Soooooo many good beers also! Sooooo many. LOL.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
We loved England. What I am finding, a week is sometimes not enough for some places. There is sooooo much to see, do, and experience. We went all the way down to Yelverton... Loved it and loved the drive and sight seeing outside of the big city. We did a lot, however we didn't get to do everything. However, we are already booking our next trip which will be Munich Germany and then down to Croatia.

Also, we loved the food... we didn't have a bad meal the entire trip and yes, I tried the traditional breakfast and freaking loved it! Soooooo many good beers also! Sooooo many. LOL.
We aim to please. The nice thing about visiting the US or the UK, is the language barrier isn’t there. Like most lazy English people I only speak one language. You can get by in most countries doing that.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
We aim to please. The nice thing about visiting the US or the UK, is the language barrier isn’t there. Like most lazy English people I only speak one language. You can get by in most countries doing that.

This was huge!!! We were able to squeak by in France. But we did find a lot of folks there actually spoke english which did help. I mean we fumbled our way through a lot of it. Trying to speak French... I can only imagine what it sounded like to them as I know it hurt our ears lol.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
This was huge!!! We were able to squeak by in France. But we did find a lot of folks there actually spoke english which did help. I mean we fumbled our way through a lot of it. Trying to speak French... I can only imagine what it sounded like to them as I know it hurt our ears lol.
Probably like the French policeman in Allo Allo.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The nice thing about visiting the US or the UK,
One of the many nice things....
is the language barrier isn’t there.
Well, yes.

However, there are times when I still think that some specific local and/or regional accents may require the assistance of sub-titles in order for a listener to be able to decipher them...let alone understand them.
Like most lazy English people I only speak one language. You can get by in most countries doing that.
Increasingly, yes.

Last edited:
Reactions: arkitect

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Actually, increasingly, the French (especially those who work in international environments, or who work anywhere where they might meet visitors or tourists in France) speak reasonably good English.

This was not the case a few decades ago, when one was expected to try to speak French when visiting the country.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Actually, increasingly, the French (especially those who work in international environments, or who work anywhere where they might meet visitors or tourists in France) speak reasonably good English.

This was not the case a few decades ago, when one was expected to try to speak French when visiting the country.

Oh we still tried... but thankfully, most not all were gracious enough to assist in english when they saw us struggling.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
However, there are times when I still think that some specific local and/or regional accents may require the assistance of sub-titles in order for a lsitener to be able to decipher them...let alone understand them.
Yes, this means you, Glaswegians!
;-)

a week is sometimes not enough for some places.
My personal guideline is that if travel involves more than three time zones or is to a major cultural destination, at least 10 days are needed. Rushing around, especially when jet lagged, isn't fun.

Last edited:

scubachap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
UK

This is actually disappointingly true and it's quite unsettling. Last couple of trips it felt like they'd all gone Dutch or Scandinavian. The young even seemed to want to practice their English on you - I suspect they're up to something...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.