Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ant.sparks

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2023
Is it your first time in Japan? I would highly recommend installing Google Translate app on your phone where you can take photos of things to translate etc.

Reactions: gigatoaster

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
Buy your snacks, food and liquids from a supermarket like Maruetsu Petite rather than a convenience store like 7-11, FamilyMart, Lawsons, etc.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I got a JR Pass so I’m taking the Shinkansen but only the trains from JR.
One of the things I love about Japan, and indeed, Italy, France and Germany, as well, is just how good the quality of some ordinary everyday products are, knives, coffee pots, cookware, and so on, stuff you use daily. (And indeed, computers; heresy to mention it here, but, I have had both a Sony and a Toshiba computer and found both very good).

Anyway, while I am not sure whether you are into shopping, but Japanese knives (I use Shun, and find them brilliant) and rice cookers (I am dreaming of a Zojirushi) would be among the products I would drool over, were I in Japan.

Last edited:

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
One of the things I love about Japan, and indeed, Italy, France and Germany, as well, is just how good the quality of some ordinary everyday products are, knives, coffee pots, cookware, and so on, stuff you use daily. (And indeed, computers; heresy to mention it here, but, I have had both a Sony and a Toshiba computer and found both very good).

Anyway, while I am not sure whether you are into shopping, but Japanese knives (I use Shun, and find them brilliant) and rice cookers (I am dreaming of a Zojirushi) would be among the products I would drool at
I couldn't find anyone selling Sori Yanagi tableware, the last time we were in Japan. That is, I found it at one very exclusive department store in Kyoto, priced well outside my financial comfort zone, so I had to skip it.

Still on my wish list, though:

ec52b2cd6419ad56ac9902bc68ea8f92.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thanks @Scepticalscribe, it is a long flight. Still 3 hours left. Waiting for breakfast now…at 11pm🤣
If it is a long flight, do try to ensure that you are well hydrated.

For my part, I always bring both Olbas Oil (eucalyptus oil) and Tea Tree oil when travelling on long flights; a few drops of both oils on a tissue and then inhale the tissue when needed during the flight is something I have found helpful.

Safe travels.

Reactions: harshar

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Absolutely. I was just talking about hydration with a crew member. He recommends to drink 250cl per hour of flight. So that’s 3 liters. I tend to drink a lot of water. I also had only 1 (one) glass of wine: Pouilly-Fuissé (and champagne before take-off).

I’ll check out the oils you mentioned, thanks !

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Absolutely. I was just talking about hydration with a crew member. He recommends to drink 250cl per hour of flight. So that’s 3 liters. I tend to drink a lot of water. I also had only 1 (one) glass of wine: Pouilly-Fuissé (and champagne before take-off).

Yes, that would be roughly my own rate of water consumption on a long flight; on a long flight (mind you, I have never had a flight longer than seven hours), it would be approximately 500ml per hour, or hour and a half, or two hours.

A decent pharmacy - or health store - should have the essential oils.

Olbas Oil is a commercial brand (the main ingredient is eucalyptus - excellent for clearing blocked air passages, and sinuses, I simply hold the tissue to my nostrils and inhale), while tea tree oil (which is anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal) is brilliant at ensuring that you don't suffer as much (or succumb to colds or other airborne infections etc quite as readily as a result of breathing in poor quality recycled air over the many hours of a long haul flight).

Keep the small bottles to hand in a jacket pocket if necessary - that should be possible once you have cleared security.

Anyway, personally, I never travel without both Olbas Oil and Tea Tree oil; they enhance and improve the quality of air, and hence, the comfort of the flight.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

There is no problem - or, nothing wrong - with having a glass or two of wine (before take off, and during the flight) as long as you drink plenty of water as well.

Bring two or three 500ml bottles of water with you to drink during the flight (stash them in your briefcase, and remove them just before you take your seat); even in Business Class, they will not give you enough water for such a long flight, or, rather, will serve you water in small glasses.

Reactions: gigatoaster

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Now that we're on the topic of water, this bottle with a UV sterilizer cap has become a key piece of my travel kit (along with traditional Nalgene bottles). It helps me stay healthy both en route and at my destination(s), even if the drinking water is "safe".

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
When you arrive get a PASMO rail card, put 500 yen on it, transfer it to your apple wallet. Then you can transfer $$ to it, will be digital yen you can use for subway and so much transactions. Contactless payments everywhere.
Nice history too.

dac1a4d62fed4d470f0e3b636fd68be9.jpg

d9cf28b4ffd8e9f7fe1e66a5c4981ca9.jpg

Kamakura is one of my go to for visiting with 1st timers. Below from 2017.
ddbff78e32be6f905ff1dcdb8d88d5c8.jpg
Suica is amazing! They have a shortage of chips so I used Apple Pay for the first time ever and added the card. So convenient!!

IMG_7682.png

Unfortunately it doesn’t work with my wife. We tried different cards, restarted the phone, log out of Apple ID…

Other than that, wow JAPAN IS IMPRESSIVE!! Just taking the train is so fun! I love it here and everyone should visit, even if I’m very lucky and it costs a lot, totally worth it.

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
Suica is amazing! They have a shortage of chips so I used Apple Pay for the first time ever and added the card. So convenient!!

View attachment 2271864

Unfortunately it doesn’t work with my wife. We tried different cards, restarted the phone, log out of Apple ID…

Other than that, wow JAPAN IS IMPRESSIVE!! Just taking the train is so fun! I love it here and everyone should visit, even if I’m very lucky and it costs a lot, totally worth it.
Are you using a JP iPhone or a non-JP iPhone?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

View attachment 2271864

Delighted to read that you are enjoying yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.