Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Well, it’s almost the end of our holidays.

Japan is truly amazing: the people are so nice. And the food is amazing, nothing brought disappointment. We can really feel they have higher standards of quality and the service is out of this world.

It’s all the little things that make the journey truly remarkable: the toilets, the cleanliness, the service, the Shinkansen (so majestic) and Yamato courrier.

2 highlights: Hiroshima Peace museum, absolutely breathtaking and Himeji castle. A must do once in a lifetime. And Miyajima!

JR Pass is very convenient but they drastically increased prices on 1st of October. So check the difference if it is worth it.

Also expect to see a LOT LOT LOT of tourists. At first it can be overwhelming and disappointing but hey no choice. We changed our approach and decided to go very early. It makes everything more enjoyable.

I would also highly recommend to go to the country side, I’ll try to do it for a second trip.

Overall a wonderful experience and if you have the time, the money and the chance do not hesitate. Read, plan before the trip to know more about traditions, culture and religions.

If you don’t have money, start saving now, it will be one of the best experience of your life.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I would also highly recommend to go to the country side, I’ll try to do it for a second trip.
I strongly recommend the Magome - Tsumago walk. Beautiful landscape, quirky old towns and bear bells (!).

IMG_3067.jpeg

We stayed two nights in a lovely ryokan in Magome, and was extremely lucky: The day we did the walk the weather was lovely, while the next day it was pouring down, so we had a nice rest day at the ryokan. :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, it’s almost the end of our holidays.

Japan is truly amazing: the people are so nice. And the food is amazing, nothing brought disappointment. We can really feel they have higher standards of quality and the service is out of this world.

It’s all the little things that make the journey truly remarkable: the toilets, the cleanliness, the service, the Shinkansen (so majestic) and Yamato courrier.

2 highlights: Hiroshima Peace museum, absolutely breathtaking and Himeji castle. A must do once in a lifetime. And Miyajima!

JR Pass is very convenient but they drastically increased prices on 1st of October. So check the difference if it is worth it.

Also expect to see a LOT LOT LOT of tourists. At first it can be overwhelming and disappointing but hey no choice. We changed our approach and decided to go very early. It makes everything more enjoyable.

Overall a wonderful experience and if you have the time, the money and the chance do not hesitate. Read, plan before the trip to know more about traditions, culture and religions.

If you don’t have money, start saving now, it will be one of the best experience of your life.
Sounds as though you had a wonderful time.

Any interesting meals?

Any interesting purchases (rice cookers, Japanese knives, Japanese prints, or paper...)?

Anyway, safe travels, and I'm delighted that you have had such a good time.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Thanks for your messages. I just bought an iPad Pro (26% cheaper) and a Watch for my mom. I might buy another iPad Pro for my parents, instead of giving them my 1st Gen. I also bought some macha tea for the neighbours.

for knives, you would have loved it. I saw so many shops with amazing blades. But I’m not really into it.

Last night we had an excellent meal and the chef used amazing knives:
IMG_0026.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7411.jpeg
    IMG_7411.jpeg
    411.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7425.jpeg
    IMG_7425.jpeg
    434.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7419.jpeg
    IMG_7419.jpeg
    475.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7428.jpeg
    IMG_7428.jpeg
    490.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7426.jpeg
    IMG_7426.jpeg
    572.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7429.jpeg
    IMG_7429.jpeg
    298.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7422.jpeg
    IMG_7422.jpeg
    501.8 KB · Views: 35

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thanks for your messages. I just bought an iPad Pro (26% cheaper) and a Watch for my mom. I might buy another iPad Pro for my parents, instead of giving them my 1st Gen. I also bought some macha tea for the neighbours.

for knives, you would have loved it. I saw so many shops with amazing blades. But I’m not really into it.

Last night we had an excellent meal and the chef used amazing knives: View attachment 2289658
Gorgeous. Glorious.

And thank you.

And hidden amongst this myriad selection of delights and wonders is a bottle of Meursault.....

Bliss.

The reason I love Japanese knives - I'm drooling at the selection you have posted - is the fact that they are amazingly attractive (from an aesthetic perspective), are light (German knives can be quite heavy), and are beautifully balanced and ergonomic (at least, in my quite small hand).

When I use one of my Japanese knives (I have several from the Shun Classic range), I feel that they are an extension of my wrist and I also feel that I am in complete control of the knife, when I wield it; the only European knives that I have had an even slightly similar sensation from are some from Italy, (and a few from Turkey).

(Japanese) Rice cookers and tea pots (yes, I have a lovely Japanese teapot), are also sublime.

Re paper, prints, and stationary, for those who love pens (especially fountain pens - guilty, m'lud) and good quality, (actually, exceptional quality) stationary, Japan also offers much to the discerning buyer.

Personally, I love the aesthetic - and I adore the cuisine.

Anyway, it sounds as though you had an amazing time.

Safe travels.

Reactions: gigatoaster

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Both phone from Singapore. But mine works (French bank)

Sunset is happening now, view from our room sadly it’s blocked by a building but still looks nice. View attachment 2271877 View attachment 2271876

It is better with the sun blocked. The lighting in the first picture is spectacular. Just crop out the nearby buildings just leaving the park and the buildings in the distance.

Reactions: gigatoaster
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.