Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Wow it does not compare to the iPad Pro. I was really thinking that Samsung would come out swinging with the TabPro S as a competitor to iPad but it misses the mark by a wide margin. The device felt cheap with the plastic back and plastic keyboard. It definitely felt like it would fall apart sooner rather than later.

Additionally, the touch screen is not as optimized as the iPad. I had to tap several times and very carefully in the right area otherwise I could accidentally hit the wrong button.

The only thing the TabPro S had going for it was the OLED screen which offered amazing contrast, brightness and color. However, I feel that Apple has really gone a long way with screen technology in making screens that offer inky blacks.

xrevilationx

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2016
All Samsung's new devices have color control. You can also turn off the OLED gamut if the "over saturation" isn't to your liking.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
All Samsung's new devices have color control. You can also turn off the OLED gamut if the "over saturation" isn't to your liking.

ahh, thanks. It's been a while since I've really tried a Samsung tablet (I have a Note 4 phone and my wife has an old Galaxy 10.1) and the overblown colors are off-putting to me. I bought her a new tablet for Christmas and considered another Samsung for her but went with an Air 2 like mine instead. A good decision - she really likes it.

Reactions: Fozziebear71

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Samsung unlike the phones still haven't managed to get the tablet line right at all yet.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
The question I have most about the Tab ProS is whether or not the battery life is going to hold a candle to the iPP. The SP4s are still having sleep and battery drain issues after a promised firmware update was released to supposedly fix it; if Samsung doesn't have this issue, I'm really going to question what Microsoft is doing.

Though I am not personally interested in this thing, I do know that some folks are and I hope it exceeds their expectations. I would like to see the productivity tablet line grow in success so iOS app devs may feel more incentivized to create more robust applications, and consumers maybe even start to get it in their heads that the $.99 app model that worked for their smartphone isn't going to be the only App Store pricing model moving forward.

exanimo

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2016
This is a W10 tablet.

I'm mostly interested in its stylus and whether or not they decided to to with Wacom EMR in this bad boy.
[doublepost=1457098669][/doublepost]This is a W10 tablet.

I'm mostly interested in its stylus and whether or not they decided to to with Wacom EMR in this bad boy.

Reactions: Channan

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Android tablets are dead, it's Windows or iOS. Google could have put more effort in optimization for tablets, but it is still kind of a mess. Samsung hardware does not make it better, no big shocker here.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I think that's mostly Android's fault. For what ever reason no Android tablet has enjoy much success.

Relative to the iPad, no. But the Nexus line has been fairly popular, especially the two Nexus 7 models, the first of which was one of the small tablets that prompted Apple to launch the iPad Mini line.

But for whatever reason developers haven't focused on tablet optimized apps for Android, maybe because there's too much fragmentation in hardware and software. A 2nd gen Nexus 7 was my main tablet for a couple of years. there's a lot of things I like about it, but I was never impressed by how pretty much all of the apps were clearly designed for a phone and just blown up.

Last edited:

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Android tablets are dead, it's Windows or iOS. Google could have put more effort in optimization for tablets, but it is still kind of a mess. Samsung hardware does not make it better, no big shocker here.
This isn't an Android tablet, so I don't understand your point here.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Relative to the iPad, no. But the Nexus line has been fairly popular, especially the two Nexus 7 models, the first of which was one of the small tablets that prompted Apple to launch the iPad Mini line.

But for whatever reason developers haven't focused on tablet optimized apps for Android, maybe because there's too much fragmentation in hardware and software. A 2nd gen Nexus 7 was my main tablet for a couple of years there's a lot of things I like about it, but I was never impressed by how the pretty much all of the apps were clearly designed for a phone and just blown up.

I agree on the Nexus 7 - it is a very good smaller form tablet. As for apps, with the huge sales of Android phones it's no wonder that's where the dev focus is.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Haha oops, you're right. @maflynn said something about Android and I assumed the TabPro was Android too.

I could still say something about apps regarding quality, optimization and quantity on Windows, but nah. Carry on. :)
I think a lot of people are assuming this is an Android tablet, which is probably why Android keeps getting brought up. I'm sure it's the "Galaxy" part of the name.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I think a lot of people are assuming this is an Android tablet, which is probably why Android keeps getting brought up. I'm sure it's the "Galaxy" part of the name.

I'm guilty too. I thought we were talking about an Android tablet! I didn't realize that Samsung had put out a Windows tablet.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Well it's not like their product line naming is of any help. How about Galaxy Tab Pro S Windows Edition? Or Galaxy WintabPro S XL with Windows 10?

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
The question I have most about the Tab ProS is whether or not the battery life is going to hold a candle to the iPP. The SP4s are still having sleep and battery drain issues after a promised firmware update was released to supposedly fix it; if Samsung doesn't have this issue, I'm really going to question what Microsoft is doing.

Though I am not personally interested in this thing, I do know that some folks are and I hope it exceeds their expectations. I would like to see the productivity tablet line grow in success so iOS app devs may feel more incentivized to create more robust applications, and consumers maybe even start to get it in their heads that the $.99 app model that worked for their smartphone isn't going to be the only App Store pricing model moving forward.

I think the battery life of the Surface Pro 4 is mostly due to Windows 10 not having updated drivers for the newer skylake processors to put them into deep sleep when the tablets are not in use. Additionally though, Windows will never be as power efficient as IOS because IOS is designed to literally only run 1 to 2 things at a time with very strict power management. Windows will always have way more processes running in the background.

That being said, the Galaxy Tab Pro S has a 37 watt hour battery so it should be able to get around 6-7 hours of battery life, but with the skylake processor it will still have issues until Microsoft updates Windows 10 to better help with deep sleep.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California

How come the .99 cent app model doesn't work on Tablets?

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
You cannot compare an ipad pro with the galaxy tab pro s just like you can't compare it with a surface tablet. Because they are two different tablets with different purposes. iPad Pro runs on a mobile OS where as galaxy tab pro s runs a full os (windows 10) that can run desktop programs.

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
You cannot compare an ipad pro with the galaxy tab pro s just like you can't compare it with a surface tablet. Because they are two different tablets with different purposes. iPad Pro runs on a mobile OS where as galaxy tab pro s runs a full os (windows 10) that can run desktop programs.

As soon as Apple CEO Tim Cook declared that the iPad Pro is a PC replacement it became open to comparison with PCs and this includes tablets. I would argue that a tablet running Windows is the most direct competitor of the iPad Pro given that android tablets don't claim to replace all computers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...ares-the-end-of-the-pc-and-hints-at-new-medi/

There's the link to Tim Cook stating the iPad Pro can replace all computers.

If Harley Davidson announced that their newest motorcycle was a car replacement, most people would start out comparing that motorcycle to cars to question whether that is really true or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.