Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
The key quote is:
“Yes, the iPad Pro is a replacement for a notebook or a desktop for many, many people."

"Many many" is not "all."

Regardless of if he said Many compared to saying all... The fact that he said it could replace a PC for many people opens the iPad Pro up for comparison to PCs. You cannot say that something can replace something else for many people and not expect it to be compared. At this point your just grasping at straws.

If I told you that a motorcycle could replace cars for many people, would you not immediately think to compare it to a car?

If I told you a live aboard SUV could replace a house for many people, would you not immediately compare it to a house?

If I told you riding the bus could replace taking a plane across the country for MANY PEOPLE would you not pull some comparisons up about travel time and other factors and immediately compare bus and plane travel?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
The fact that he said it could replace a PC for many people opens the iPad Pro up for comparison to PCs. You cannot say that something can replace something else for many people and not expect it to be compared.

Ok, I agree. I wasn't the one who said it shouldn't be compared to a PC. Did someone actually say that? I guess maybe I wasn't paying enough attention.

EDIT: ok, OP compared TabPro to iPad, then someone said you can't compare iPad and TabPro because one is a mobile tablet and the other is a Windows PC. In this context, I understood them to be saying you can't compare them as tablets, because one is a tablet and the other is a PC. Tim Cook, on the other hand, was claiming iPads can replace desktops/laptops for many people. Bit of a different argument there, IMO.

Last edited:

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
No developer is going to make desktop quality apps and only sell it for .99 cents.

People expect apps on mobile to be .99 cents and get shocked or turned off if they have to pay $9.99, $19.99, $29.99 for a full fledge desktop quality, feature rich app.

You're right! It's like the Bed Bath and Beyond conundrum they were recently dealing with. Bed Bath and Beyond recently tried to do away with their 20% off coupons, but people had gotten so used to always getting a 20% off coupon every week that sales dropped when people stopped getting the coupon. People literally expect to always be able to go into Bed Bath and Beyond and get 20% off an item. The same applies to the App Store. There are so many apps that are less than $5.00 that people expect to be able to get a good app for less than $5.00. If a company spends millions of dollars developing a PC quality app to sell for $20+ on the App store, then very few people would purchase it.

There are those of us that would spend money on quality games and software for the iPad, but for the most part people like free and very cheap apps. The freemium and cheap apps have ruined the App Store, possibly forever. At this point, it would take Apple stepping in and declaring an end to freemium as a first step in the right direction towards quality apps/games.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
No developer is going to make desktop quality apps and only sell it for .99 cents.

People expect apps on mobile to be .99 cents and get shocked or turned off if they have to pay $9.99, $19.99, $29.99 for a full fledge desktop quality, feature rich app.

Hehe I know. I just wanted to open it up for discussion. Honestly, I think most people have gotten to the FREE/GET apps nowadays.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Regardless of if he said Many compared to saying all... The fact that he said it could replace a PC for many people opens the iPad Pro up for comparison to PCs. You cannot say that something can replace something else for many people and not expect it to be compared. At this point your just grasping at straws.

If I told you that a motorcycle could replace cars for many people, would you not immediately think to compare it to a car?

If I told you a live aboard SUV could replace a house for many people, would you not immediately compare it to a house?

If I told you riding the bus could replace taking a plane across the country for MANY PEOPLE would you not pull some comparisons up about travel time and other factors and immediately compare bus and plane travel?
A phone can replace a computer for many people - two of my sisters only use their phones for access to the Internet - but I don't think we should start comparing laptops to phones.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

I agree and I don't have a problem paying more for a quality app with good support. To bring in another aspect of this discussion from another thread, if the prices are higher does Apple need to revisit the no-return policy, possibly making it an option for devs?

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
I fell victim to the "grass is greener on the other side" temptation recently too. I tried a Suface Pro 3. At first I loved the idea of running full desktop apps, having a USB port, mini display port, etc. However once I used it for a few days, I started dealing with the typical Windows crap. Driver updates, random restarts, sleep and wake issues, etc. Basically these Windows hybrids make terrible tablets. I now have the ipp and love it. No I can't run full Windows programs, but I don't need to. I am one of the many who was able to replace my laptop with an ipp. It is perfect for my workflow.

Side note, I work in wireless and the Samsung rep came in about a month ago touting this tablet as the "iPad Pro killer." Samsung is comparing it to the iPad Pro, so yes, it's a fair comparison. I will take the ipp any day.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
The key quote is:
“Yes, the iPad Pro is a replacement for a notebook or a desktop for many, many people."

"Many many" is not "all."
This is why I hate consumers. A few might buy the iPad pro when it's not even meant for them and then turn around and say "See? See? Tim Cook said its a laptop replacement but it can't do this certain specific thing that I wanted it for! Booooo"

...yeah well you shouldn't have bought it dummy

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Relative to the iPad, no. But the Nexus line has been fairly popular, especially the two Nexus 7 models, the first of which was one of the small tablets that prompted Apple to launch the iPad Mini line.

But for whatever reason developers haven't focused on tablet optimized apps for Android, maybe because there's too much fragmentation in hardware and software. A 2nd gen Nexus 7 was my main tablet for a couple of years. there's a lot of things I like about it, but I was never impressed by how pretty much all of the apps were clearly designed for a phone and just blown up.

As good or bad as they are it is the samsung galaxy tablets that have done the best out of all the android tablets in terms of sales.

I've owned the both generations of the nexus 7. The first wasn't very good but the second was pretty decent for what it is.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Sadly android I can't see ever making great tablets. Unlike the phones tablets like the iPad just have no comp.

GadgetSN

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Avoid Samsung tablets.

Also if you want W10 why deviate from the Surface Pro 4. Its not like the Tab Pro S is half the price.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Avoid Samsung tablets.

Also if you want W10 why deviate from the Surface Pro 4. Its not like the Tab Pro S is half the price.
Microsoft kinda proved apple's point for them. The best way to do it is to design your own hardware and software together. After Microsoft did it, I still consider their own surface book and surface pro to be their best products

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Still waiting for competent reviews.

This one from a month ago mentions the keyboard is better than the 80s style iPod Pro membrane keyboard and it has a touchpad unlike the iPod Pro. Looks similar like the first gen Surface Pro 3 keyboard but with a bigger touchpad.

Last edited:

billy the fish

Suspended
Jul 23, 2015
The only thing the TabPro S had going for it was the OLED screen which offered amazing contrast, brightness and color. However, I feel that Apple has really gone a long way with screen technology in making screens that offer inky blacks.
On an Lcd screen, is this a joke.. black means dark grey on lcds, are you suggesting the IPP screen can display blacks darker than a amoled screen.. lol. Physically an impossibility. . The bblacker blacks is one of the biggest advantages of amoled. .
[doublepost=1457645440][/doublepost]
I own both the IPP and Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5

I love my IPP but find myself going back to my Sammy for media consumption. The OLED display is still superior,
imho..
Snap my old ipad 2 is in the kids bedrooms somewhere, my tab S is my go to device.. still the best screen on the market..

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011

People compare motorcycles to cars all the time, I don't see what's wrong with that comparison. Same goes for riding a bus vs. a plane. People do that all the time. They're in the same class. I'm not sure what your argument here is. People compare tablets to computers all the time. People have been doing it since the first iPad.

These comparisons are based on the situation of what the individual needs. To compare an iPad Pro to say, a high end Alienware? Ridiculous comparison. Comparing an iPad Pro to a Surface or cheap laptop? Totally valid.

TAJones99

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2009
Orange Park, FL
I think that's mostly Android's fault. For what ever reason no Android tablet has enjoy much success.

The TabPro S is a Windows 10 tablet
[doublepost=1466645489][/doublepost]
Wow it does not compare to the iPad Pro. I was really thinking that Samsung would come out swinging with the TabPro S as a competitor to iPad but it misses the mark by a wide margin. The device felt cheap with the plastic back and plastic keyboard. It definitely felt like it would fall apart sooner rather than later.

Additionally, the touch screen is not as optimized as the iPad. I had to tap several times and very carefully in the right area otherwise I could accidentally hit the wrong button.

The only thing the TabPro S had going for it was the OLED screen which offered amazing contrast, brightness and color. However, I feel that Apple has really gone a long way with screen technology in making screens that offer inky blacks.

I have the iPad Pro 12.2 and the Samsung TabPro S, the TabPro S doesn't feel cheap and its a full OS. I'm a all user and I'm using my TabPro S right now and I love it.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
The Tabpro S basically flopped but its more dependable than a buggy surface pro 4...too bad the amoled screen will be burned in within a year or less....

Lightsaber

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2015
The TabPro S is a Windows 10 tablet
[doublepost=1466645489][/doublepost]

I have the iPad Pro 12.2 and the Samsung TabPro S, the TabPro S doesn't feel cheap and its a full OS. I'm a all user and I'm using my TabPro S right now and I love it.

Same here, I have an Ipad Pro 12 and Tabpro S as well. The tabpro S is a beauty, the screen is incredible, it never gets hot and runs whatever I throw at it. It has not had a single issue since I pulled it out of its box, no problems whatsoever. It is incredibly light in weight and I often use it to read Kindle books on as it is very easy to hold and read from. In regard to comments I have seen regarding screen life, I have a four year old Galaxy Note 2 with an oled screen that is as vibrant as the first day I turned it on and I have no reason to believe this won't do the same. In regard to color and visual quality, You should see 4k youtube videos on this thing, they just pop in vividness and clarity. That and I'm seeing ten to twelve hours of battery life following a charge. This thing rocks.

Reactions: TAJones99

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I have the Tab S2 9.7 inch and it's a fantastic tablet for Comics and Vids the screen is just fantastic

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.