Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
An admission perhaps that after many years of trying to get a workable, intuitive multitasking UI on iPad, the only thing to do is bite the bullet and allow a desktop-like GUI (possible that can switch in iPadOS classic mode)?

To me this has been the obvious endpoint ever since Apple Silicon for Mac was announced. An iPad that can run in either MacOS mode or iPadOS mode: add the smart keyboard and it acts/performs like a 1 port MBA. iPad + keyboard is a 25-30% price premium over a MBA for the added convenience of being able to operate it in iPad mode.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
That would be great! I don't think it would be M2 exclusive, but rather M-series exclusive, like external display support. But if it is M2 exclusive, at least it would give a better reason to upgrade than the specs themselves, compared to the previous gens.

Reactions: Tagbert and VaruLV

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Doesn't make sense as described. Those that don't want macOS on iPad still won't be interested and those that do most likely want the full version. Can't see who wants a 'simplified' version that can only run specially recompiled apps.

one more

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Doesn't make sense as described. Those that don't want macOS on iPad still won't be interested and those that do most likely want the full version. Can't see who wants a 'simplified' version that can only run specially recompiled apps.

Perhaps this will be exclusive to iPads Pro, with Air, mini and iPad all sticking with iPadOS?

Reactions: VaruLV

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
If any of this is true would an iPad running a Mac OS system be able to work with no trackpad/mouse/physical keyboard? Probably a silly question I know.

That said I'd be surprised if this "Mac OS" on an iPad happens. I once ran a Mac OS hack years ago on a Dell/Windows machine, it almost melted.:p:D:eek:

Reactions: Kal Madda

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
If this feature is offered exclusively on M2 ipad pro, a
Apple should expect a huge riot from all M1 ipad customers.
Agreed! And M1 iPad users have every right to do so… especially when Apple went back on their word allowing Stage Manager to not only work with M1 iPads, but A12X/Z iPads as well.

Um.. I think this is more of a response to Stage Manager given criticism on how there’s rigidity in the movement of windows on iPadOS 16, this “simplified“ macOS version could help in that aspect.

Because as far as I know, Stage Manager window movement isn’t as freeform as people might like. I could see this new version being something that separates itself from Stage Manager and provide a way to encourage iPad users to upgrade to the latest models.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Why a trimmed version of MacOS? The M1 and M2 chips are powerful enough to run the full Mac OS no problem.

I wonder what excuse Apple will make by making it an exclusive M2 feature, because everybody knows it BS considering the M1 MBA and M1 MBP runs the full Mac OS without an issue.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Why a trimmed version of MacOS? The M1 and M2 chips are powerful enough to run the full Mac OS no problem.

I wonder what excuse Apple will make by making it an exclusive M2 feature, because everybody knows it BS considering the M1 MBA and M1 MBP runs the full Mac OS without an issue.
You should already know the answer to this question.… two different operating systems (iPadOS and macOS). If Apple provides a full macOS on an iPad… what would be the reason to buy a Mac and a iPad?

And tbf, macOS isn’t fully touch optimized… so whether or not the iPad can run full macOS it needs to be optimized first.

CC88

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2010
Won’t happen. Apple have to give M1 iPad owners a good reason to upgrade. Apple needs more of your $$$$.

I changed my iPad Pro 11” 2nd gen for stage manager and external monitor support on M1… if I have to change also my M1 iPad Pro for a trimmed macOS … then I will change it for a MS surface :D

Jedimindtrick

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2017
If Apple provides a full macOS on an iPad… what would be the reason to buy a Mac and a iPad?
This is my fundamental criticism of Apple, that instead of the focus being: make the iPad Pro the best stand-alone product it can possibly be, the focus is to intentionally hold it back, and make it so that you still need MacOS (and therefore a Mac) for specific tasks.

I actually agree with this approach with the iPad, iPad mini, and iPad Air lines. For $329, they’re priced accordingly to make an excellent secondary or bridge device to a Mac.

But a M1 or M2 iPad Pro? put that hardware to use! They cost way too much to justify being your secondary device.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
While Apple might lose some sales of multiple devices with this approach, it opens the opportunity to convert MS surface and other 2 in 1 users to the Apple ecosystem.

Reactions: VaruLV and pdoherty

v1ctorS

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2022
You should already know the answer to this question.… two different operating systems (iPadOS and macOS). If Apple provides a full macOS on an iPad… what would be the reason to buy a Mac and a iPad?

And tbf, macOS isn’t fully touch optimized… so whether or not the iPad can run full macOS it needs to be optimized first.
The reason would be price. iPads are much more expensive than Macs, so everyone who does not need a touch display would still be incentivized to buy a Mac. People said Microsoft Windows would never run on Mac and everyone knows what happened.

Reactions: pdoherty

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
This rumor has occurred each and every year, for the past decade.

It never happens, because putting macOS on an iPad would be the most un-Apple thing that Apple would do.

It won't happen.

Reactions: Kal Madda

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
This is my fundamental criticism of Apple, that instead of the focus being: make the iPad Pro the best stand-alone product it can possibly be, the focus is to intentionally hold it back, and make it so that you still need MacOS (and therefore a Mac) for specific tasks.
But it is a standalone product.

There are features like SideCar and Universal Control which makes owning both a Mac and iPad completely useful. The point I’m making is… when there’s a Mac running macOS in their product lineup it defeats the purpose putting macOS on different product like the iPad.

But a M1 or M2 iPad Pro? put that hardware to use! They cost way too much to justify being your secondary device.
Well, that’s when features like virtual memory ram and Stage Manager comes into the equation… they announced these features for the M1 iPad with iPadOS 16 this year.

This rumor has occurred each and every year, for the past decade.

It never happens, because putting macOS on an iPad would be the most un-Apple thing that Apple would do.

It won't happen.
Never? Won’t? I don’t know about using those kind of words. But this particular twitter user predicted Stage Manager when no one seen it coming even before Bloomberg Mark Gurman… that’s why this rumor have some legs. And the twitter user noted this is a “lite” version of macOS… not a full version.

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
I would think it would be possible to run macOS on the iPads that have the M1 chip or better, since the laptops are running the same chip. However that may defeat the purpose of having two seperate devices. I for one happen to like iPadOS and installed iPadOS last night, plus giving stage manager a run, figure I’d try it out during working hours, that way if it is confusing or what not, I get paid to figure it out.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
If any of this is true would an iPad running a Mac OS system be able to work with no trackpad/mouse/physical keyboard? Probably a silly question I know.

That said I'd be surprised if this "Mac OS" on an iPad happens. I once ran a Mac OS hack years ago on a Dell/Windows machine, it almost melted.:p:D:eek:
I think Apple will require iPad Pro plus magic keyboard for this to run. This is make sense considering price of iPad Pro + MK is similar with MacBook Air. Hence, it’s just movement from MBA users to IPP ones.

Jedimindtrick

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2017
But it is a standalone product.
I hear you, but I said making it the best stand-alone product it can be. I feel the iPad Pro is leaving so much of its power left on the table because of iPadOS.

IMO, iPadOS feels like it’s meant to be a computer for dummies. Ironically, they’ve tried to make everything overly simple, but in the process they’ve turned multi tasking into a convoluted mess.

The decision to offer a mouse and keyboard attachment for $350, but when being used, the UI doesn’t adapt to pointer controls, you still have to mimic finger controls, it’s so half baked.

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
iPadOS is essentially already MacOS lite, in terms of its core foundation code at least. I still don't see macOS coming to iPad anytime soon. I believe Apple will continue with their current approach of making iPadOS more Mac like but with the required touch first re-think and considering Mac and iPad are fundamentally different tools, this is the right approach.

You don't need to bring MacOS to iPad to provide better window management, multi-user accounts or a better file system. I suspect Apple have tested MacOS on iPads numerous times to see how certain features translate before they're redeveloped into iPadOS iterations.

I think we can safely assume Apple will continue to evolve iPadOS and it will become more Mac like. But different. And it wouldn't suprise me if we see more freedom on window placement in Stage Manager in iPadOS 17 next year.

Jedimindtrick

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2017
Well, that’s when features like virtual memory ram and Stage Manager comes into the equation… they announced these features for the M1 iPad with iPadOS 16 this year.
We all knew Stage Manger could run on older devices, but Apple intentionally held it out. Eventually caving to public pressure, and going back on what they had said about the memory being so important. Give me a break. A 5th gen iPad with 2 gigs of ram can run 4 apps simultaneously (Split Screen, Slide Over, PiP).

I guarantee they could port over the eventual external monitor support to A12Z devices as well, but intentionally won't!

Again I am an Apple fan! I just think the direction they're taking the iPad Pro line has been so sloppy as of late. Stage Manager is straight up clunky, counter intuitive and frustrating. The only "exclusive" M1 feature at this point is external monitor support, which is complete BS IMO. You mean to tell me you have to have an M1 iPad to do anything besides mirror a 4:3 ratio?? Yet some apps, like iMovie, can go full screen? What?? The idea that someone cannot use a $1,099 2020 iPad Pro and have Safari running on an external monitor with full 16:9 aspect ratio is so inexcusable IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.