Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tonic76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2017
I need some help with possible triple booting jam that I created.

1) I had succesfully installed Boot Camp and Windows 10 to my Macbook Pro.

THEN

When I was logged to OSX
2) I tried to create bootable LINUX (Ubuntu-16.04.2) USB stick as I had done before using the Unetbootin tool

Because the destination to write the boot files is a little confusing in Unetbootin tool I accidentally created the Linux boot files to my Windows NTFS partition (It was detected as USB stick, dev/disk0s4 in Unetbootin...)

Now I am afraid to try to boot to Windows because Linux is also on the same partition. I heard Linux and Windows don't really like being on same partition.

Should I have any worries or how to correct the situation? Did Linux Ubuntu install overwrite any critical files that would stop me booting to Windows? Do you think I can boot to Linux now?

So many questions. I hope the community can provide some insight, thanks.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Was disk0s4 the basic data partition for windows (the largest partition)?

What does the partition look like in Disk Utility now?

For future reference depending on the system if it supports UEFI just mount the OS image and copy the files directly onto the USB. UEFI is smart enough to boot from that without the need for unetbootin, lili, etc etc.

Tonic76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2017
Actually the OSX spotlight became unresponsive so I rebooted and when get back to the computer, it had booted into Windows. So at least windows seem to load OK. :)

I have two partitions now in my SSD, 194G Machintosh HD and 55,77G BOOTCAMP

All seems to be good, maybe only setback now is some Ubuntu files taking up disk space in the BOOTCAMP (NTFS) partition. I better not delete any of those before know what they are.

I think I will anyway try to make another USB stick still with unetbootin and take a look what files it puts to clean USB stick.

I don't know if my MBP PRO MID 2014 support UEFI or not?

Fancuku

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2015
PA, USA
I am surprised that Unetbootin let you write on the disk. For me, if I didn't select the right disk (usb stick) it wouldn't procede with the installation.

Tonic76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2017
I am surprised that Unetbootin let you write on the disk. For me, if I didn't select the right disk (usb stick) it wouldn't procede with the installation.

Maybe it is because I have Paragon NTFS for Mac installed?
[doublepost=1494698907][/doublepost]
If it were me I'd delete the current boot camp config & start fresh.

So much trouble... I think just to find out what files unnetbootin wrote to my NTFS partition and delete those will do the trick...

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Maybe it is because I have Paragon NTFS for Mac installed?
[doublepost=1494698907][/doublepost]

So much trouble... I think just to find out what files unnetbootin wrote to my NTFS partition and delete those will do the trick...

Mount the image and look at the files. They are likely in a folder no?

However I actually find it kind of unlikely those files made it from Unetbootin running in MacOS (HFS+) to the Windows partition (NTFS). I could be wrong because I've never tried it (you are probably treading new ground for most) but it seems odd you could have done it in the first place, although I'm not sure what Unetbootin is capable of exactly. EDIT: Just saw you said Paragon, so its probably possible...?

Regardless try looking up some key files from Ubuntu boot disk. Probably see folders like boot, casper, pool, preseed, EFI, dists, isolinux, etc. A file md5sum.txt is a dead give away too. If all those are in one place its safe to delete. If you find them scattered around you might want to just leave them.

I'll edit this in a minute with a screen shot of bootable Linux USB main folder.

bootusb.png

Thats is Ubuntu gnome 17.04 but the folders will be the same. If you can't find them I would just pretend this never happened....lol

Tonic76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2017
Thanks for your awesome reply. I can see all those files in my BOOTCAMP root (except one "System Volume Information). Going to delete those now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.