Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
Is it? The fact that Trump is willing to listen from real CEOs to me actually sounds like a positive. The tariff stuff was obviously a political chess game against China, and often times political leaders do stuff for the sake of politics. So the fact that Trump is willing to listen to to real business showing the impact of his policies to me seems like a positive.

I mean what do you want, for Trump to ignore business impacts and march on with his political agenda? Sure, because that will satisfy your narrative of orange man is bad, but the business impact is still real.

My whole point is that he has no business sticking his nose in to begin with. If you say you’re for free markets, that, by definition, precludes whimsical interference with trade, or any other market function for that matter.

It doesn’t take a genius to know that tariffs are a tax which intends to control market operations, and that they hurt everyone involved in the trade. Yet, evidently, he needs to waste the time of the CEO of one of the most productive companies in history to get this obvious fact through his thick, authoritarian head, while he completely evades the contradiction of calling himself a “free market capitalist,” while controlling whatever the hell he feels like according to any whim he may have.

That is not freedom, that is not principle, that is not what made America great, nor what will make it great again. It is exactly the type of behavior which will lead to its further destruction.

I said it before, and I’ll say it again, the fact that Tim Cook needs to waste his time coddling this shameful, self-contradicting authoritarian, just to get him to protect his right for *just a little while longer* is a shameful abomination, and it’s a mockery of reality to watch him parade around as the savior of this country.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
My whole point is that he has no business sticking his nose in to begin with. If you say you’re for free markets, that, by definition, precludes whimsical interference with trade, or any other market function for that matter.

It doesn’t take a genius to know that tariffs are a tax which intends to control market operations, and that they hurt everyone involved in the trade. Yet, evidently, he needs to waste the time of the CEO of one of the most productive companies in history to get this obvious fact through his thick, authoritarian head, while he completely evades the contradiction of calling himself a “free market capitalist,” while controlling whatever the hell he feels like according to any whim he may have.

That is not freedom, that is not principle, that is not what made America great, nor what will make it great again. It is exactly the type of behavior which will lead to its further destruction.

I said it before, and I’ll say it again, the fact that Tim Cook needs to waste his time coddling this shameful, self-contradicting authoritarian, just to get him to protect his right for *just a little while longer* is a shameful abomination, and it’s a mockery of reality to watch him parade around as the savior of this country.
Free market is free market. But China itself is not a free market player. So why screw yourself when you're playing with another who don't even follow the rules?

Heck, even free market countries can have political spats. Go look at the tariffs Japan is imposing on S.Korea.

Like I said, the tariffs is a political chess game, thus I take it as a positive when Trump is willing to at least listen to logic and reasons.

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2018
I've been a Trump supporter since the middle of the primaries but I am extremely disappointed with him in regards to this.

Apple made its bed in China exploiting workers oppressed by the Chinese government, they can reap the consequences.

Samsung software sucks and Apple's only good point in this point in time is their long-term software support of devices, ignoring their crap warranties and inability to admit mistakes, as well as their anti-repair tactics.

Minxy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2012
I wonder how it feels for Tim Cook to meet such a simple-minded person like president Trump, and actually having a conversation with him.

When Trump decided to pull the US out of the Paris Climate Change Accord Elon Musk got upset and made it known to everyone by quitting Trump’s economic advisory council

Tim Cook knows he has to play the game and handle the President with diplomacy. He has expressed his feelings but never gone too hard as his best chance at influencing him is by having him on side.

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
Free market is free market. But China itself is not a free market player. So why screw yourself when you're playing with another who don't even follow the rules?

Heck, even free market countries can have political spats. Go look at the tariffs Japan is imposing on S.Korea.

Like I said, the tariffs is a political chess game, thus I take it as a positive when Trump is willing to at least listen to logic and reasons.
If China places restrictions on their markets, that is not the concern of America. Just because they're doing the wrong thing doesn't mean our president should be doing, or has the right to do the wrong thing in response. His purpose as President is to ensure that the rights of his citizens are protected, and that includes their right to trade with whomever they choose. He has no business and no right assessing which people in which countries the individuals in his country are or not allowed to trade with, or at what price they're permitted to do it. Any deviation from an absolute protection of rights is not reflective of a free market, or a free market capitalist. Plain and simple.

Reactions: Sikh and pallymore

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
He talks simple because that’s the most effective way to communicate with the masses. That doesn’t mean he’s simple-minded.

On this, I have to agree (only about his style; I do think he's a moron). He does one thing that Hillary was terrible at: he actually gets to the point of whatever he's trying to say. I was hoping she would win, but my goodness she seemed to have so much trouble just getting to the POINT without going through a legal language forest on the way half the time. I think that's why Joe Biden is doing better than some of the others right now. He's also able to simplify things and not overblow everything into a pivotal dealbreaker.

Reactions: motulist and Chidi

IbisDoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2010
Tim then offered to offset the cost of sending back the squad, as long as the Don helped him last long enough for his next set of stock options to vest.

Reactions: pweicks

TracesOfArsenic

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2018
When Trump decided to pull the US out of the Paris Climate Change Accord Elon Musk got upset and made it known to everyone by quitting Trump’s economic advisory council

Tim Cook knows he has to play the game and handle the President with diplomacy. He has expressed his feelings but never gone too hard as his best chance at influencing him is by having him on side.

That's the difference, Tim seems to be more motivated by money, not ideals.

Reactions: Hardijs and Minxy

boccabella

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2010
That photo of Cook with the fascist-in-chief and his enabling wife will live in infamy, and all for the sake of the almighty dollar. Steve Jobs made a poor choice in biographers and a poorer one in CEO's.

Reactions: Sikh and Chidi

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
So does Samsung manufacture elsewhere? Why can they do it and Apple can’t?
south korea
[doublepost=1566179621][/doublepost]
Aren’t Samsung phones predominantly made in China as well? I mean, assembled in Korea maybe?
many parts are made in china, but the final assembly is in south korea, and as long it has the assembled in korea, made in korea on the phone it doesn't matter where the conponents are from. iphone parts are made not just in china but it just happen to be assemble there.

Reactions: simonmet

zhaoxin

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2015
If Apple increases the prices of its products and told American people those are the gifts from President Trump. Will him get the election again?

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
I don’t even like trump, but I’ve never understood the “I hope the economy takes a **** because orange man bad” narrative. Don’t you have a stake in this economy yourself? Praying the economy ***** the bed because you don’t like the president is asinine.
You realize that I never said anywhere that I hope for this to happen, right? As a recent college graduate looking for work in his field, the prospect of recession should likely scare me more than most.

There’s a difference between stating the fact that we’re on the tail end of an unprecedented period of economic expansion and saying that that’s a good thing. A lot of people, perhaps myself included, will see hard times from it.

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
You realize that I never said anywhere that I hope for this to happen, right? As a recent college graduate looking for work in his field, the prospect of recession should likely scare me more than most.

There’s a difference between stating the fact that we’re on the tail end of an unprecedented period of economic expansion and saying that that’s a good thing. A lot of people, perhaps myself included, will see hard times from it.
I did strawman you, sorry. I see too much of that nonsense on echo chambers like /r/politics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.