Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I'm not really a fan of the whole "pay for your phone/tablet in monthly instalments" strategy. I realize that it's 0% interest and all, but let's get realistic here: If you can't afford to pay for the device upfront, then you shouldn't be buying it in the first place.

IMHO, the only items that should warrant monthly payments are the typical high-end purchases: a new home, car, education, etc...not a $600-$800 tablet that will lose its status in a year when the next one is released.

No offence to anyone here, but it's almost laughable that some people would be willing to give up a hard inquiry on their credit profile just to finance a $600 tablet for 200MB/mo free data.

I disagree. Borrowing money for FREE is the best way to borrow money. We do it all the time with Home Depot, best buy, and lots of other places. If someone is going to let you borrow money interest free then you go ahead and do it. Just be sure to make the payments on time and in full. I understand that some people truly cannot afford these devices but for most people financing is just fine.

applegeek25

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
Toronto, ON
I disagree. Borrowing money for FREE is the best way to borrow money. We do it all the time with Home Depot, best buy, and lots of other places. If someone is going to let you borrow money interest free then you go ahead and do it. Just be sure to make the payments on time and in full. I understand that some people truly cannot afford these devices but for most people financing is just fine.

The problem is that some people will face an unexpected change in their financial situation and won't be able to continue making the $20+/mo payments.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I'm not sure how this is a good deal. The free data tmobile offers would be used up in less than 30 mins. They don't even subsidize it.

I'm on Verizon with a data share plan. I only pay 10 a month for it. Plus I buy the ipad at over half off since you get a subsidy.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
I'm not sure how this is a good deal. The free data tmobile offers would be used up in less than 30 mins. They don't even subsidize it....

The free usage will work just fine for many people. Maybe they only need 20 minutes. It is a very good people for many people.

bigdaddyc188

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2009
I'm not sure how this is a good deal. The free data tmobile offers would be used up in less than 30 mins. They don't even subsidize it.

I'm on Verizon with a data share plan. I only pay 10 a month for it. Plus I buy the ipad at over half off since you get a subsidy.

What about those of us on verizon that still have unlimited data. Paying 30$ a month is ridiculous. So the T-Mobile offer is good especially if you are like me who is on wi-fi the majority of the time and just need it when in a jam.

Also the comments about paying the extra $130 for the LTE - again who cares same of us who max out the macbook pros and purchase them. Do we really need it maybe not.

dtlee1974

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
I'm not really a fan of the whole "pay for your phone/tablet in monthly instalments" strategy. I realize that it's 0% interest and all, but let's get realistic here: If you can't afford to pay for the device upfront, then you shouldn't be buying it in the first place.

IMHO, the only items that should warrant monthly payments are the typical high-end purchases: a new home, car, education, etc...not a $600-$800 tablet that will lose its status in a year when the next one is released.

No offence to anyone here, but it's almost laughable that some people would be willing to give up a hard inquiry on their credit profile just to finance a $600 tablet for 200MB/mo free data.

I plan on taking this offer and it isn't because I can't pay cash. If someone is giving you 0% on a purchase with no strings attached and real inflation is running 5+%, you're an idiot not to do it. Unless you plan on buying a house in the next 6 months, hard inquiries don't matter that much (and don't matter much even if you do.) If your credit score is marginal, then yeah you should avoid them. If you have 750+ credit, a single hard pull isn't going to do much.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

I agree. As long as you have the cash to cover the amount you're financing, it's fine. Besides, these things lose value very quickly. I just view the EIP similar to a computer lease.

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I agree. As long as you have the cash to cover the amount you're financing, it's fine. Besides, these things lose value very quickly. I just view the EIP similar to a computer lease.

Most computer leases are ripoffs and by the time you are done paying, you have paid more than twice what you would have spent if you bought it up front.

The way I see it is I can take that $600 and stick it in an account that earns interest while paying back tmobile for 2 years and it is like free money.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
...The way I see it is I can take that $600 and stick it in an account that earns interest while paying back tmobile for 2 years and it is like free money.

ROFLMAO!

Really, how much interest will you get? By the way, zero interest is great, but for a "luxury" item like an Ipad, I prefer to either just buy it, or wait until I have enough money, even at 0% interest.

Thepoobear

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
ROFLMAO!

Really, how much interest will you get? By the way, zero interest is great, but for a "luxury" item like an Ipad, I prefer to either just buy it, or wait until I have enough money, even at 0% interest.

Your logic is flawed and wreaks of snobbery.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
ROFLMAO!

It isn't only interest, but the present value of future payments. In 2 years, the dollar won't be worth as much as it is today. You'll have paid with more expensive dollars than this guy who financed at zero percent.

nolegirl

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2013
Just out of curiosity, does anybody really anticipate taking the entire two years to pay it off?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Just out of curiosity, does anybody really anticipate taking the entire two years to pay it off?
That depends. If the new iPad has stuff I want, either pay off or trade-in after the first year. If not, then yes, I'll just pay the installment for the entire two years.

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
ROFLMAO!

If I manage my same rate of return for the next couple of years it will be an extra $50-$100. Sure over 2 years that isn't much but I'm not turning down free money.

nolegirl

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2013
That depends. If the new iPad has stuff I want, either pay off or trade-in after the first year. If not, then yes, I'll just pay the installment for the entire two years.

Are you going with ATT? If so, what if you want to pay more on the ipad? Are they going to separate it out from your original bill, or what?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
ROFLMAO!

Do you have any CCs with a carry over balance? If so you would benefit substantially by interest free financing and using the balance of the money to pay down your CCs high interest balance.

Just one of the MANY ways interest free financing can benefit you. FACT: Interest free financing is economics 101 free money. Any economist or accountant will tell your this.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007

After a while, that $25/mo would become annoying, IMO. One more thing to remember, and that alone won't be worth $25/mo for long lol.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
After a while, that $25/mo would become annoying, IMO. One more thing to remember, and that alone won't be worth $25/mo for long lol.

I would think that there is a good chance that they will offer auto pay, just like with a phone (or most other) bill.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta

No offense but you must not be an adult saddled with bills and responsibility. If so 1 more monthly bill is just that: Only 1 more monthly bill.;) Also use Reminders on your new iPad for all your bills and you NEVER have to remember:eek:.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Are you going with ATT? If so, what if you want to pay more on the ipad? Are they going to separate it out from your original bill, or what?
Nope. Trying out T-Mobile. On AT&T, I don't think you can pay higher than the monthly installment plan but I do believe there's no penalty for paying off the balance early. Same with T-Mobile, I would think.

Instead of increasing your monthly payments, you could always just squirrel away the extra funds into a savings account and then just pay off the device once you've saved enough. It's not like you're paying more in interest if you don't pay down the balance.

As for one more monthly bill: auto-pay.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Will I be able to buy a T-mobile iPad at Best Buy? I don't really care about the financing, I might take it if it was convenient, but I have not problem paying cash. I would like to consider buying a T-mobile iPad just for the free data though. I rarely need to use cellular, but it might be worth the $129 upgrade from wifi only just to have it available.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
No offense but you must not be an adult saddled with bills and responsibility. If so 1 more monthly bill is just that: Only 1 more monthly bill.;) Also use Reminders on your new iPad for all your bills and you NEVER have to remember:eek:.

Dude... I own one home and completed a down to the studs demo and remodel of my current home 2 years ago. I know a thing or two about bills. :) obviously there's auto pay, I'm talking about the repetitive stabbing of my wallet month after month when I could just get it done and not think about it any more. Not talking about missing a bill, just that, "oh yeah, that bill again" at reconciliation time.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Dude... I own one home and completed a down to the studs demo and remodel of my current home 2 years ago. I know a thing or two about bills. :) obviously there's auto pay, I'm talking about the repetitive stabbing of my wallet month after month when I could just get it done and not think about it any more. Not talking about missing a bill, just that, "oh yeah, that bill again" at reconciliation time.

I agree. Autopay would be an absolute necessity.

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013

different strokes for different folks.
regardless of the amount of money, some people would rather have free'd up liquidity to make money..

i took the 24 month interest free from apple for two full priced iphone 5s. yeah i could have paid all of it up front, but i'd rather take a nominal credit check and use that $1500 and invest it into something else...

so according to you, I shouldn't have purchased my phones?? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.