Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2021
Hey everyone! I am annoyed by this banner. It appears at the top of every folder and subfolder shared with File Sharing
1704239603964.png

All my folders are shared with File Sharing because I want all my laptop to be able to access my desktop. I don't like seeing this banner at the top of every folder window. Is there a way to turn it off? I searched all over the web but haven't seen anything about it

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
If you want access as an Admin user, you do not have to explicitly share folders. I only specify access to the "Public Folders" for guests.
Turn on "File Sharing" and in the panel you will see:
Other users can access shared folders on this computer, and administrators all volumes, at smb://system_name.

Last edited:

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2021
If you want access as an Admin user, you do not have to explicitly share folders. I only specific access to the "Public Folders" for guests.
Turn on "File Sharing" and in the panel you will see:
Other users can access shared folders on this computer, and administrators all volumes, at smb://system_name.
Thanks for the tip! How do I access smb://system_name? I tried entering that in Go to Server and it gave me an error

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
system_name would be your system. One of my computers is named Neptune, so it would be smb://neptune.local. You can see this in you network configuration.
On most networks, you can just browse it in the Network "folder" section of your Finder.

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2021
system_name would be your system. One of my computers is named Neptune, so it would be smb://neptune.local. You can see this in you network configuration.
On most networks, you can just browse it in the Network "folder" section of your Finder.
OK yeah when I go to Network it does show up but the issue is that it always gives me a connection error. I thought i was doing something wrong

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.