Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmho

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2021
Wow, what kind of cable / device did you use to convert the signal from HDMI?

henrymyf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2015
There exist HDMI 2.0 to USB-C adapters such as the Club-3d CAC-1332.
I believe that this adapter of Club-3d only works on Ultrafine 4K, but not Ultrafine 5K and XDR. That's probably why I'm very excited that we are among the first group of people who actually turned on XDR with PS5.

henrymyf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2015
Wow, what kind of cable / device did you use to convert the signal from HDMI?
It's a little bit complicated at the moment. My friend is using at least two PCB to achieve that. Later this year, they might want to release this adapter which could be universally adapt to any USB-C screens.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
It's a little bit complicated at the moment. My friend is using at least two PCB to achieve that. Later this year, they might want to release this adapter which could be universally adapt to any USB-C screens.
Can you share a picture of this adapter/PCB, or give us more details?

henrymyf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2015
Can you share a picture of this adapter/PCB, or give us more details?
I am afraid that this is confidential at the moment. I'm only providing the XDR for testing - the adapter/PCB is by my friend, who is also doing this at spare time, but he owns the intelletual property. I'm just sharing that it's possible, so many of others might have faith of coming up with newer and better solutions. (My friend's current solution is not perfect, as he DID mention something about losing some color accuracy)

jmho

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2021
Phew, thanks for replying quickly enough that I was able to cancel my Amazon order of the Club 3d adapter!

I really hope your friend is able to release a solution that works on the XDR.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I believe that this adapter of Club-3d only works on Ultrafine 4K, but not Ultrafine 5K and XDR. That's probably why I'm very excited that we are among the first group of people who actually turned on XDR with PS5.
Not sure why it wouldn't work with UltraFine 5K and XDR, since they can accept USB 2.0 + DisplayPort Alt Mode over USB-C instead of Thunderbolt input.

henrymyf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2015
Not sure why it wouldn't work with UltraFine 5K and XDR, since they can accept USB 2.0 + DisplayPort Alt Mode over USB-C instead of Thunderbolt input.
Also don't know why this is not working. This topic is too complicated for me. I just hope that the human being could come up with a unified port so that there is no need to have any sort of 'adapter' any more.

henrymyf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2015
Phew, thanks for replying quickly enough that I was able to cancel my Amazon order of the Club 3d adapter!

I really hope your friend is able to release a solution that works on the XDR.
Being an XDR user myself, I really hope such product would be available on the market, too. I would definetely spend $200 or so on such solution without any hesitation.

But reality is, even my friend doesn't have any motivation to expodite this project, given such small market potential. It has been more than a year, and there has been at least three versions before today, and he has come to my office for testing for countless times, and the PS5 never turned on the XDR screen until this morning. Really difficult. Not sure if this kind of effort is worthwhile.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Maybe PS5 doesn't like the EDID from XDR using CAC-1332 and is too dumb to use a default timing that is usable by the XDR and is too dumb to let the user choose a timing. Therefore the solution is to somehow override the EDID that is sent to the PS5. There are EDID emulators but the cheap ones make you copy an EDID from an existing display rather than let you upload an EDID? Some will let you choose from a set of preprogrammed EDIDs but you can't edit those pre-programmed EDIDs? I didn't do a lot of checking but here's an example:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S773J5J

Recscue

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2021

Attachments

• 9D3AE5C2-F365-4214-85A0-0134FCD6D08F.jpeg
    9D3AE5C2-F365-4214-85A0-0134FCD6D08F.jpeg
    260.1 KB · Views: 554
Last edited:

Recscue

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2021
Great news!, I will check them! Any special directions? Thank you for posting
The only peculiarity I've run into so far is the first time powering on it went through the PS logo to black screen with blinking blue light; however I left it there for a few minutes or so and it finally loaded up the first post-boot screen. I also had HDCP turned on though so that may present a hurdle for it; I've since disabled that in the PS settings, not sure if that matters though. Waking from sleep has been very quick though since then.

jmho

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2021
Do you get HDR on the PS5? The Amazon page for the HDMI2.0 to DP1.2 converter seems to say that it does and doesn't support HDR.

Recscue

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2021
I have successfully been able to do this with my PS4 Pro, it should also work for the PS5 I hope, I’ll test that soon. (Edit: it also works for the PS5)

I used these to make it happen with the EDID set to green (4K 60hz).
1 GoFanco Pro-HD2DP HDMI2.0 to DP1.2 converter
2 Bi-Directional DisplayPort to USB C Cable
I've added this Thunderbolt 4 extension cable as well so I'm not having to get back behind the XDR display every time I want to swap inputs from my PS5 to my MacBook Pro. This should also help avoid wearing out that port for frequent swapping.

In addition, I've connected a stereo cable to the 3.55mm port on the GoFanco converter and connected that to a splitter to isolate the input into my 2019 MacBook Pro so I can pass through the audio to my airplay HomePods from the PS5 when also Quicktime's record audio function to just pass the audio through to speakers as a monitor.

While not the most elegant solution for the audio, it works. I'd like to find a way to use the higher quality SPDIF/Toslink but I haven't tried any of the potential converter options for that yet to get the audio into my laptop. Though it would be easier to connect it directly to a receiver or compatible speakers; I'm focused on using my two HomePods.

Last edited:

Charles_YX

macrumors newbie
Last edited:

milkshakeplease

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2021
I have successfully been able to do this with my PS4 Pro, it should also work for the PS5 I hope, I’ll test that soon. (Edit: it also works for the PS5)

Thank you so much for your sharing your set up!
Thunderbolt 4 extension cable you mentioned is also really a good touch. I should try that as well :)

I have been trying to get ps5 to turn on my xdr for quite some time (over a year lol), and I have also explored some solutions but they all failed.
For example, back to January 2021, I tried the first iteration of HDMI to USB-C convertor mentioned by PCuser214 in the following topic

which is this exact convertor https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08PQBPR7L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Even though PCuser214 demoed that that specific convertor can turn on his lg ultrafine 5k, it does not turn on my pro display xdr unfortunately, maybe for the reason that joevt mentioned in https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/turned-on-xdr-by-ps5-with-4k-60hz.2308707/post-30209496 which is a bit too technical for me to digest personally.

I haven't tried PCuser214's new iteration of convertor, but I am afraid it would have the same issue: working for lg ultrafine 5k but not xdr.

I have some questions that I hope you can kindly reply:
(1) Can you confirm that it is 4k 60hz while your xdr is connected to ps5?
(2) Can you adjust xdr brightness while it is connected to ps5? Based on my knowledge, it can only be done via Mac OS..
On a side note, I am not sure if you have the issue with xdr but sometimes when I wake up my macbook pro connected to xdr, xdr will turn on at full brightness, and I have to adjust it down to properly level. So I assume that when using your setup, ps5 can turn on xdr but xdr will be at full brightness with no way to adjust it...

PSultra231

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2021

@Recscue Wow. Thank you! I have been trying to get my PS5 to work on my LG UltraFine 24MD4KL monitor for months. Finally got it working with the GoFranco converter and another bi-directional DisplayPort to USB-C cable. The GoFranco is exactly what I was looking for as I was able to hook it up to my studio monitors via SPDIF/Toslink. The HDMI to USB-C adapter mentioned on other posts did not work for me at all.

secretone

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2007
For those that got the GoFanco setup to work, do you need to set your PS5 to any particular settings prior to trying to get it to work? Mine's still showing a blank screen:

- Same cables as above
- EDID set to Green
- Black screen ):

zebomedia

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2011
For those that got the GoFanco setup to work, do you need to set your PS5 to any particular settings prior to trying to get it to work? Mine's still showing a blank screen:

- Same cables as above
- EDID set to Green
- Black screen ):
Have you had any luck with this? I'm having the same issue

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.