Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
My iMac has such a great display, so now that its getting old, i recon it be best to make it a standalone display and connect to it any Mac i wish.
So far ive found this solution A and B to be the best (but seems pretty pricey), since one can make use all of the iMac's accessories (web cam and speakers).
Have u found such a solution that can use the iMacs cam and speakers too, but will not lower the displays brightness or have any other side effect?

Last edited:

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
LCD driverboard kit (HDMI+VGA)= 25$ (this kit uses 12V/10A AC adapter)
12V10A apdapter: 19$

LCD driverboard kit (DP+HDMI+USB-C) = 75$ (this kit uses 24V5A AC adapter)

How to assemble it to the iMac: (Internal speakers are usable)

Webcam = 29$ (1080p with independent tilting and rotating capability)

Webcam = 5$ (to replace the isightCamera slot)

How to turn your iSightCamera to USB camera: (may lost the microphone)

USB-C hub = 23$

Or you can pay 370$ for Juicy Crumb DockPro, if you have that money.

I would be a compulsory idiot if I ever consider buying that circuit board instead of a brand new 4k LCD monitor (399$)

Last edited:

BluAffiliate

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
LCD driverboard kit (HDMI+VGA)= 25$ (this kit uses 12V/10A AC adapter)
12V10A apdapter: 19$

LCD driverboard kit (DP+HDMI+USB-C) = 75$ (this kit uses 24V5A AC adapter)

How to assemble it to the iMac: (Internal speakers are usable)

Webcam = 29$ (1080p with independent tilting and rotating capability)

Webcam = 5$ (to replace the isightCamera slot)

How to turn your iSightCamera to USB camera: (may lost the microphone)

USB-C hub = 23$

Or you can pay 370$ for Juicy Crumb DockPro, if you have that money.

I would be a compulsory idiot if I ever consider buying that circuit board instead of a brand new 4k LCD monitor (399$)
Amazing post. Any way to use the speakers though?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
He asked that question because he hadn't watched the video.
How about you? Do you want to ask the same question?
A true Mac user, one that loves Apple products and knows what they are for, will not act like a PC user, to add this and that and make an Apple computer look like circus.

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Just reviewed that Japanese video.
Yes, it does actually show how to use the speakers.
Nice video, clear - detailed.
Seems like the "true Mac user" can use that video to continue to use a still-nice LCD display.
(Likely that's its intent!)
Not sure where the "circus" remark comes from. The article appears to leave the simple appearance of the iMac, and gives you a display usable for whatever use you might need a monitor.
What more could you want!

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I was under the impression that the iMacs internal speakers couldn’t be used and that the user had to connect his own set of speakers.
I wonder can that solution be applied to a mid2010 27” iMac?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The internals are very similar between 2009 and 2011 iMacs.
I think you can go with that in mind.
Watch the video (?)

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
The internals are very similar between 2009 and 2011 iMacs.
If im not mistaking, the boards that Juicy Crumb Systems created, will only work for the 2011 iMacs and not for the 2010. They said that the 2010 iMac, while almost identical on the exterior, is actually very different internally. The display uses a different connector and technology, making their board unusable for the 2010 iMac. The iMac A1312 denominates multiple iMac models 2009-2010-2011, JCrumbSystems board is only compatible with the 2011.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I apologize - I did not look at the link to Juicy Crumb Systems, as it appeared to not be related to what was in that Japanese video (which, I think, will answer your question)
Nobody can say this is an easy task, or whether it is, in the end, worth doing. Only you can answer THAT question.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Juicy Crumb System kit is not a viable solution for this "Imac conversion to monitor" project.
Reason:
1. Price is too high comparing with other LCD driver kit.
2. For the price they offer, people can just simply buy another iMac 27" which is newer and with better specs like 5k display.

Last edited:
Reactions: thanar

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Suppose the user decides not to go the JCrumb way but instead they are planning to do it your way... are there any videos tutorials that the user can guide?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Can you tell us what you think that other way is?
All I see is Nguyen Duc Hieu saying that a more cost-efffective solution is to simply buy another, newer iMac.
(Why would you need video tutorials for that?)
What is this alternative that you see here?

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Suppose the user decides not to go the JCrumb way but instead they are planning to do it your way... are there any videos tutorials that the user can guide?

All the necessary parts and guide videos have been posted on post #13.
No more to guide.
For different iMac LCD panel, check the back of the LCD panel for model name, and match it with your order on Aliexpress. They do provide driver kit for each model of LCD panel. (The board is the same, the shop change the connector and firmware of the controller chip according to each model).

The reason why I protest Juicy Crumb system:
A second hand IMac 27" 2013 (2k display) with core i5 16GB DDR3 256GB SSD is normally sold (by the shop, not a user) at VND 9mllion, about 390~400USD
A second hand iMac 27" 2015 (5k display) core i5 16GB DDR4 256 GB SSD is VND 11mllion, about 470USD.
There is no reason why I should buy a Juicy Crumb kit at similar cost and struggle with assembling only to have an LCD, while I can buy a fully working iMac.

A working 27" 2K display (2nd hand) HP Z27n would cost me VND 4mil to buy (USD170). This display has multiple input ports and USB ports, too.
That's why I would not recommend the 75$ kit, the 25$ kit with only 1 HDMI port are good enough to connect a Mac Mini.

Last edited:
Reactions: thanar

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Are those LCD driver kits working flawlessly? There had been detected some problems of lower brightness and having a dimmed display is an issue.
If those issues have been bypassed, one reason that I would prefer to get the JC board -I guess- is the easy installation procedure… but I could be wrong.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Are those LCD driver kits working flawlessly? There had been detected some problems of lower brightness and having a dimmed display is an issue.
If those issues have been bypassed, one reason that I would prefer to get the JC board -I guess- is the easy installation procedure… but I could be wrong.

You are wrong. Period.
And the 25$ kit is not for you at all.
Even though the shop have tested their kits before shipping out, there is no warranty of any kind.
As stated in the shop statement, these are OEM computer parts for repair technicians, not boxed retailed parts that came with a 3-year-warranty period for novice end-users.
If you have any concerns or worry about it, do not buy.

Last edited:

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
In the beggining you are mad at me because of thinking to buy the JCrumb board (because its overpriced) and now that tables have turned, you are suggesting not to buy the AliXpress board if i have concerns 😐
Also, for the first time, you are stating that this board is not for me 😐.
What im i supposed to do, u managed to totally mix me up! :(

Last edited:

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
In the beggining you are mad at me because of thinking to buy the JCrumb board (because its overpriced) and now that tables have turned, you are suggesting not to buy the AliXpress board if i have concerns 😐
Also, for the first time, you are stating that this board is not for me 😐.
What im i supposed to do, u managed to totally mix me up! :(

You are supposed to ask less questions and be willing to take more risk.
Computer repairing/modding jobs are not for perfectionists and risk-free demanders.
They are not for people who refuse to read guideline and watch guidance videos, either.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
You are supposed to ask less questions and be willing to take more risk.
Computer repairing/modding jobs are not for perfectionists and risk-free demanders.
They are not for people who refuse to read guideline and watch guidance videos, either.
You have become the Questions Police, the Modding Police and the Guidance Police altogether… wow 😜

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.