Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Note that another kit, also from AliExpress, was listed first in the post #3, above.
Appears to be almost identical to the kit that you asked about, but actually lists your 2011 iMac as supported by the kit.
But, no, not ever tried one of those kits, or anything like it.
Maybe you could give it a go (it's less than $7)? Post back here to report what you find out, and if it works for you...

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Note that another kit, also from AliExpress, was listed first in the post #3, above.
Appears to be almost identical to the kit that you asked about, but actually lists your 2011 iMac as supported by the kit.
But, no, not ever tried one of those kits, or anything like it.
Maybe you could give it a go (it's less than $7)? Post back here to report what you find out, and if it works for you...
For the kit I’m asking, there were some comments in AliExpress that the display was dim when used. So taken that as a fact I’m trying to get to the bottom of it. 😉

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
It's 7 dollars.
Not the same kit that you posted, but one of the kits that Nguyen Duc Hieu suggested.
It's only 7 dollars -- try it out for yourself. You may have a different result than someone else.
If it does what you want, great!... If not, then you're only out 7 dollars (well - also a bit of your time)
Either way, it will be some fun. Let us know how it turns out!

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
It's 7 dollars.
Not the same kit that you posted, but one of the kits that Nguyen Duc Hieu suggested.
It's only 7 dollars -- try it out for yourself. You may have a different result than someone else.
If it does what you want, great!... If not, then you're only out 7 dollars (well - also a bit of your time)
Either way, it will be some fun. Let us know how it turns out!

It will cost more than 7$.

In the link, there is a menu to select a kit that is compatible to your LCD panel. The price will change. It will be 27$ or 28$. 7$ is the price of the mini speakers. 10$ is the 12V 5A adapter.
You will need to spend an extra 10$~12$ or more for a 12V 10A adapter. 5A adapter will not be enough to get you the maximum brightness. 10A might do the trick.

But then, spending 38$ to convert a dead iMac to a 27$ 2K monitor seems to be a nice idea.

Reactions: MrZupp and DeltaMac

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
There’s something that has really put me to wonder… hasn’t anyone -in this forum- actually tried and succeeded in turning his 27” iMac to a standalone display?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Of course, maybe ive been using the wrong keywords... what have u been using?

wazgilbert

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2007
UK South
Guess what I've just started a project on...

^^this kit was bought for
this iMac's LCD ;

tempImage20Mhk2.jpg

The Donor - 2011 imac that I baked the GPU three times (still working!) and then the HDD died and I couldn't be bothered to do any more than make it a VDU.
tempImageO0Dehz.jpg

Thanks to Nguyen Duc Hieu, I will use the Japan guy's video project for inspiration, especially using the speakers and Power button - that's a great fix.

wazgilbert

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2007
UK South
Did you see any low or different brightness compared with the original setup in the display while using the kit?

I have just test - connected it to make sure it's working at all before I start emptying the chassis of the original iMac.
I could see by the menu of the controller board that brightness and contrast can be adjusted, I ran it to dimmest and then back to brightest, the defaults were 100%bright and 50% contrast when I switched on.
I'm not going to try an run this side by side with another iMac or Apple type of display, so I'm not concerned if it is different to the OEM condition.

Edited to add - i just hooked it back up, propped up on the desk to play with it some more, it does to me look maybe 80-90% of the brightness it was running native. But it is subjective, I can't measure it.
I did also try two different power supplies, it's the same with both a 3A and a 5A is all I have. The note in the box it was delivered in was telling me 4A. The ebay advert states 4A or 5A. So If it makes no functional difference, I'll go back to the 3A supply.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
So from what you say, you prolly haven’t understood any differences from the original iMac setup… correct?
Can you post the board brand/model that you have used ?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Can anyone tell which part of the controller board is responsible for the lower display brightness?
Is it the led driver chip, the power adapter or something else?

Also, is it possible to connect the display with the controller board and the power adapter without removing any parts from the iMac? Can i just leave it as is and just connect the controller board and see if its working?

Last edited:

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
There are reports from users, who purchased and used a 10A power adapter for their controller board, that the brightness will be slightly higher. Does anyone double certify this claim?

head honcho 123

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2008
Found this thread.

I bought a 12V 10A PSU from amazon. I tested it and it was same brightness.

To make sure, I connected my old 12V 5A and the 10A to a watt-meter, and I'm seeing the same watt pull which is around 35-40 watts. Mine is a 2009 iMac display, which I believe is rated to 100W at maximum brightness.

I think ultimately, 3rd party boards don't supply enough power to the display regardless of the PSU.

Very sad situation.

edit:
part list
PSU https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MYIY2KK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
PSU https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087LY94T6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
board: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804968823952.html?

Attachments

• LM270WQ1-SDA2_LG.pdf
    774.1 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

head honcho 123

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2008
I got a reply from the board manufacture.

"Using the original machine's iMAC backlight board can reach the maximum brightness"

doh!!! I threw mine out.

hope this helps someone in the future. don't throw that part out!

Attachments

• S47fb13edf7344c6bac1e65a252c16838c.jpg
    S47fb13edf7344c6bac1e65a252c16838c.jpg
    604.8 KB · Views: 49

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005

"Using the original machine's iMAC backlight board can reach the maximum brightness"

doh!!! I threw mine out.

What could you do if u hadn't thrown that part away though?

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

doh!!! I threw mine out.

Be careful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.