Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pyrone89

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2014
Hello everyone,

One of the lesser talked about features of iOS 9 is that iOS updates are now also done automatically going forward, just like app updates. However, unlike auto-app updates there is no toggle to turn off this new automatic iOS update behavior, which is a nightmare for the people who like to do a full update (iTunes) instead of a delta update (OTA), as the delta updates are not rarely associated with people having iOS performance / battery / stability issues. Furthermore, for anyone using their devices as their alarm or anyone needing to be reachable at all times (medical personnel, parents etc.) automatic system updates are an even bigger nightmare.

Has someone found the toggle to turn this off (yet again, not talking about the toggle for the auto-app update feature as introduced in iOS 7)? Or is this a feature that Apple in their wisdom has decided NOT to create a toggle for, which would seem really stupid.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There is no option to disable the downloading of a new update. Perhaps a jailbreak tweak that affects it in some way, but that's about it.

That said, there shouldn't be any automatic installation of the update, just downloading. Don't' think that has changed with iOS 9.

Last edited:
Reactions: chabig

Rava

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2015
Seriously? So you no longer have the option to backup your phone before an update?

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
You can't stop it, but I have a tip for you:

When a new update is released that you do not want to upgrade to, hit download and install yourself that same day the update is released (the idea is to do it before iOS fetches an update and downloads it automatically).

As soon as the download starts, go to Storage and select the update and delete it. This will let iOS know you do not want the update downloaded, and will also prevent issues.

Additionally, this means that you won't get an annoying badge app icon in Settings prompting you to update. However, this needs to be done with every update.

I use this technique to stay on 8.4.1.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
You can't stop it, but I have a tip for you:

When a new update is released that you do not want to upgrade to, hit download and install yourself that same day the update is released (the idea is to do it before iOS fetches an update and downloads it automatically).

As soon as the download starts, go to Storage and select the update and delete it. This will let iOS know you do not want the update downloaded, and will also prevent issues.

Additionally, this means that you won't get an annoying badge app icon in Settings prompting you to update. However, this needs to be done with every update.

I use this technique to stay on 8.4.1.

I always delete the update file via the Settings app under usage but the annoying "1" on Settings remains and always has done.

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
I always delete the update file via the Settings app under usage but the annoying "1" on Settings remains and always has done.

Yeah, which is why I mentioned that the badge app icon can only be avoided and not removed, by catching the update early before iOS queues it.

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
...Meanwhile in Android land mobs are gathering with pitchforks and torches demanding updates.

Hahaha!

Google really needs to fix that.

Stuck with 5.0.2 on my Galaxy Tab S. Samsung gave it 3 updates and then forgot about it. :(

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
So, does auto-update prompt users to agree and install, or no?

I wonder how they got around not having people at least agree to updates in their ToS.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
it downloads yes, but never installs without permission. If your talking about when plugged in and charging only when it downloads over wi-fi, yes, it's a irritating, but can be solved..

Just stick your phone into airplane mode before plugging in.

Reactions: Skoal

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
it downloads yes, but never installs without permission. If your talking about when plugged in and charging only when it downloads over wi-fi, yes, it's a irritating, but can be solved..

That "solves" it by disabling most of the functionality of the device.

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas

Or you can, y'know, save yourself that hassle and just use my method I described above.

Pyrone89

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2014

That is the thing: what you are describing is true for iOS 8 and lower. For iOS 9 and higher however it is automatically installed, not matter what you do. At least that is how it is being described and presented in every tech article. Unless your do the update yourself before it gets the chance (which may be a problem given that I often want to delay updating via iTunes for a couple of days after a major release due to the server load making it an agony to update).

Seeing how we just had iOS 9.0.1 it would be nice to hear from people that experienced this new behavior, although most of the forum members here probably are the kinds of people to already have updated before this automatic behavior kicks in.

The biggest problem is not going to be with our own devices (we will update before that or try the trick posted above), but with the devices of our family we all tend to manage. They will get auto-updated including the possible issues often associated with OTA updates (versus full firmware updates through iTunes).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That is the thing: what you are describing is true for iOS 8 and lower. For iOS 9 and higher however it is automatically installed, not matter what you do. At least that is how it is being described and presented in every tech article. Unless your do the update yourself before it gets the chance (which may be a problem given that I often want to delay updating via iTunes for a couple of days after a major release due to the server load making it an agony to update).

Seeing how we just had iOS 9.0.1 it would be nice to hear from people that experienced this new behavior, although most of the forum members here probably are the kinds of people to already have updated before this automatic behavior kicks in.

The biggest problem is not going to be with our own devices (we will update before that or try the trick posted above), but with the devices of our family we all tend to manage. They will get auto-updated including the possible issues often associated with OTA updates (versus full firmware updates through iTunes).
I'm not really sure that it installs on its own without user interaction at some point.

Rava

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2015
There's an even bigger issue with older devices. Usually performance is such that it's best to leave older devices on an older version of ios. Sometimes you also might not update because an app stopped working in a later version. Apple leaves devices in the supported list way longer than the current ios version runs well on them, so that's pretty concerning.

Reactions: sunking101

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
....Seeing how we just had iOS 9.0.1 it would be nice to hear from people that experienced this new behavior,.....
I turn off all automatic updates where possible. That is one of the first things I did on Friday when setting up my 6s as a new phone.

IIRC the iOS 9.0.1 update worked like it has in the past. My 6s downloaded the 9.0.1 update automatically and showed the "1" badge on the Settings icon that there was an system update available. When I checked in Settings, it said that the update had been "Downloaded". At that point my options were to click the "Install" button or not. After a quick check on a few forums for reports of problems, I manually Installed it.

--- GetRealBro

rjcchan

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2015
the update does not install without permission. it does sit around and use storage. this is what i did:

9.0 downloaded by itself without an option in storage to remove it. i did not install it. then9.0.1 was released and downloaded automatically but with a removal option in "Usage". i used that option but only recovered about 48mb of space. i went to the update section of "Settings/General" and hit the download and install button. i interrupt the process when the download was complete by rebooting my ipad. when i returned to "Usage" the removal option was there again. this time i recovered 1.6G of storage.

i still have a badge but the update has not downloaded again.

aldrinjtauro

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2014
Birmingham, AL
Yeah, as everyone has stated above, you have to agree to terms and conditions before an OTA update. So when you get a message about updates, choose to defer it (for whatever reason) and install it at a later time and with a method of your choosing.

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
Even more annoying than the "1" that hangs around the settings button is the window that
pops up once a day asking if i want to instal 9.0.1 and then asks if it can be downloaded later that night.

Cant these ****ers take a hint?

Anyway, how can i make that window stop appearing its driving me nuts.

Reactions: KUguardgrl13

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
An update will only be installed automatically when you give your phone permission to do this. When a download is ready, the system can prompt you to install it now or later (at night, while connected to power and Wi-Fi). If I remember correctly, there should be an option to defer this (perhaps by viewing the terms & conditions and rejecting them). It of course also works if you just delete the update.

No way to turn it off, unless your device is enrolled in a mobile device management programme for companies and public institutions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.