Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arkanok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
So I’ve installed tvOS 17 on my second gen Apple TV 4K and I also have iOS 17 on my iPhone 14 pro, both devices are updated to the latest version. When I tried opening the FaceTime app on the Apple TV, it showed a screen that said “Users” but under it, it just said “other”. So I selected that and a QR code showed up which I scanned but on my phone but it just said “connecting to Apple TV” then stopped and nothing happened.

I’ve tried numerous times and looked through all settings on both devices and can’t find anything. And yes, continuity camera is enabled on my phone.

I’ve attached a pic of the screen so you can see what it shows. Anyone else have this problem and/or know how to fix it?

Attachments

• IMG_2285.jpeg
    IMG_2285.jpeg
    233.8 KB · Views: 408
Reactions: AJsAWiz

Arkanok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
It worked on my 3rd gen ATV and my iPhone 14 PM... both devices running the RC release of their respective OS.
Weird. Yeah I’m on the release candidate for both and no dice.

Rokkit

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
Weird. Yeah I’m on the release candidate for both and no dice.
I am getting the exact same thing. How many users do you have on your Apple TV? I have only my cell on it and I wonder if that’s the problem

Rokkit

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
Are all of you the only user on your ATV? I am, I suspect that may be a necessary condition for this to manifest....

What phone are you trying to use as a camera? I'm using an iPhone 13 mini which works fine with continuity from the Mac...

FWIW, I filed feedback via the feedback app on my iPad.... fingers crossed.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Are all of you the only user on your ATV? I am, I suspect that may be a necessary condition for this to manifest....

What phone are you trying to use as a camera? I'm using an iPhone 13 mini which works fine with continuity from the Mac...

Yes, only me on the ATV. I am using my iPhone 14 Pro Max... and have successfully tested it on two different ATVs - in my office and in our family room - both 3gen ATV4K.

mozo33

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2023

I am the only user and I have an iPhone 13

Arkanok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007

I’m trying to use an iPhone 14 pro. I also filled the feedback form about this. Hopefully gets fixed for public release.

jrhop

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2014
Anyone got this working on public releases? All my devices on public iOS 17 and tvOS 17. 4K Apple TV, can connect phone and Apple TV but start a FaceTime call and it doesn't ring another iPhone on iOS 17. Test with just iPhone to iPhone and FaceTime works fine. If you ring from the other phone to the iPhone connected to the aTV it has a notification but no way to answer it!

Sperious

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2019
Sweden
This seems like a buggy mess to me.

1) I’m the only user on the Apple TV but I don’t show up in the FaceTime app and the QR code doesn’t work. I tried removing my account on the Apple TV and adding it again to no avail.

2) If I start a FaceTime call on my phone I can use handoff to the Apple TV and everything works. However, if I hang up on the phone instead of on the TV I get a camera symbol in the top right corner of the TV that never goes away, not even when watching videos.

3) After making this initial call using the iPhone and handoff I am suddenly connected in the Apple TV FaceTime app, but if I initiate a FaceTime call there the recipient can’t answer and her phone says that an unknown caller is trying to connect.

This is the worst Apple experience I’ve ever had.

jrhop

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2014

1) I’m the only user on the Apple TV but I don’t show up in the FaceTime app and the QR code doesn’t work. I tried removing my account on the Apple TV and adding it again to no avail.

2) If I start a FaceTime call on my phone I can use handoff to the Apple TV and everything works. However, if I hang up on the phone instead of on the TV I get a camera symbol in the top right corner of the TV that never goes away, not even when watching videos.

3) After making this initial call using the iPhone and handoff I am suddenly connected in the Apple TV FaceTime app, but if I initiate a FaceTime call there the recipient can’t answer and her phone says that an unknown caller is trying to connect.

Feels like dev beta 1

Rokkit

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010

Yowza! I'll have to try #2 to see that even works. There's always some new feature of every Apple release that I'm the corner case of. I can't imagine QA of these things is simple, but 1 user is a simplest-config scenario and is and easy to test.

Sithstrong85

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2023
Hello Lads, i have exactly the same error. I have an iPhone 14 pro, and Apple TV 4K 3rd gen. Even though i have updated both units to IOS 17.0.1 and tvOS 17.0 it still has the same error. I tried everything from disconnecting my Apple TV, reboot, full reset and still the same. My phone won’t scan the QR code and my Apple user is is vanished from the FaceTime app.. I actually wanted that Apple gave you the opportunity to login manually, or delete the FaceTime app and then reinstall it but you can’t. I contacted Apple support and they checked everything and now the incident has been reported to Apple engineers 🙏🏼

Attachments

• IMG_1815.png
    IMG_1815.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 137

Sperious

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2019
Sweden
I haven’t had the willpower to contact Apple Support, so if you do find a solution, please let me know. 😊

CodeWisdom

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2021

Totally agree. I was super excited for this feature too. I ideated this potential idea as a Facebook Portal killer long before Apple announced it.

Spoke to Apple TV Support - went to senior tier. That was the one of worst experiences I've ever had with Apple Support. By any chance have you recently changed the email for your Apple ID? I have and it seems to be a common theme.
See this thread:
To be 100% clear, I'm having all the same issues. My account, the default account on the AppleTV, does not show up in the user list in FaceTime and scanning the QR code just fails (Times out I guess) without error.

CodeWisdom

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2021
Hello Lads, i have exactly the same error. I have an iPhone 14 pro, and Apple TV 4K 3rd gen. Even though i have updated both units to IOS 17.0.1 and tvOS 17.0 it still has the same error. I tried everything from disconnecting my Apple TV, reboot, full reset and still the same. My phone won’t scan the QR code and my Apple user is is vanished from the FaceTime app.. I actually wanted that Apple gave you the opportunity to login manually, or delete the FaceTime app and then reinstall it but you can’t. I contacted Apple support and they checked everything and now the incident has been reported to Apple engineers 🙏🏼
Really appreciate that you went through the process and got it escalated. I refused because I did nearly all that myself and could see where it would lead. Apple stuff is broke bad if it's broke. It's rarely about anything with local state.

Sperious

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2019
Sweden
Totally agree. I was super excited for this feature too. I ideated this potential idea as a Facebook Portal killer long before Apple announced it.

Spoke to Apple TV Support - went to senior tier. That was the one of worst experiences I've ever had with Apple Support. By any chance have you recently changed the email for your Apple ID? I have and it seems to be a common theme.
See this thread:
To be 100% clear, I'm having all the same issues. My account, the default account on the AppleTV, does not show up in the user list in FaceTime and scanning the QR code just fails (Times out I guess) without error.
Very interesting! I did in fact change my Apple ID email address not too long ago (a few months) from a private domain to an iCloud address.

Reactions: CodeWisdom

marilbil

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2007
I've been following this thread and decided to add myself to the discussion when the "recently changing the Apple ID email address" came up. I have also recently changed my Apple ID from a private domain email to an Outlook address. I have an iPhone 14 Pro and an A2169 4K ATV. iPhone is now on 17.0.1 and ATV is on 17.0.

I'm curious as to who discovered the 'recently-changed email' connection... I no longer have a Twitter account and the link above will not display for me.

Please advise if any solution is found. I will do the same. Thanks to all.

Last edited:
Reactions: CodeWisdom
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.