Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CodeWisdom

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2021
I've been following this thread and decided to add myself to the discussion when the "recently changing the Apple ID email address" came up. I have also recently changed my Apple ID from a private domain email to an Outlook address. I have an iPhone 14 Pro and an A2169 4K ATV. iPhone is now on 17.0.1 and ATV is on 17.0.

I'm curious as to who discovered the 'recently-changed email' connection... I no longer have a Twitter account and the link above will not display for me.

Please advise if any solution is found. I will do the same. Thanks to all.
The 'recent-changed email' connection is a SWAG I through out there because of an issue I had a few years ago with my iMac Pro and all the new wizbang T2 stuff. I had just changed my Apple ID email and we discovered the code was relying on that actual email as the unique identifier. Talk about disastrous for someone who wants to completely reinstall macOS. It simply wouldn't let me. The only fix was to change my Apple ID back to the old email address.

Sperious

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2019
Sweden
Anyone who, like me, recently changed their email and, apart from this FaceTime issue, also experience people contacting you and saying you’re suddenly missing among their iCloud contacts since upgrading to iOS 17?

Reactions: SpitUK

adessmith

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2023
Anyone who, like me, recently changed their email and, apart from this FaceTime issue, also experience people contacting you and saying you’re suddenly missing among their iCloud contacts since upgrading to iOS 17?
YES! I was told this just yesterday. The message showed up as using my iCloud email account (which is my apple id now) but that wasn't listed in their contacts. Also, I setup the new contact poster thing and it's not showing up when I call them.
Funny thing is I changed my email last November...
When I installed the first public beta of Apple tvOS 17 continuity camera / facetime worked perfectly. It wasn't until a later build that it broke.
The bad news is I can't simply go back to the old email address because I no longer have access to it.

Reactions: Sperious

adessmith

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2023
The 'recent-changed email' connection is a SWAG I through out there because of an issue I had a few years ago with my iMac Pro and all the new wizbang T2 stuff. I had just changed my Apple ID email and we discovered the code was relying on that actual email as the unique identifier. Talk about disastrous for someone who wants to completely reinstall macOS. It simply wouldn't let me. The only fix was to change my Apple ID back to the old email address.
That's very concerning because I no longer have access to the old email my apple ID was initially setup with... :oops:

Reactions: bdhokie

Sithstrong85

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2023
That’s IT!!! I too changed my mail from me.com to ICloud.com 7 weeks ago when I updated my devices to Beta 17 public release. Then I updated to beta 2 public release and then FaceTime stopped showing my account and then last week I had hoped it will work but no. So annoyed but I had to report to Apple. Now Apple support called today and hope it will be fixed though a new update 🙏🏼

adessmith

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2023
That’s IT!!! I too changed my mail from me.com to ICloud.com 7 weeks ago when I updated my devices to Beta 17 public release. Then I updated to beta 2 public release and then FaceTime stopped showing my account and then last week I had hoped it will work but no. So annoyed but I had to report to Apple. Now Apple support called today and hope it will be fixed though a new update 🙏🏼
Yep, FaceTime worked for me on the first beta (MONTHS after changing my apple id), but broke somewhere around Beta 2.

Reactions: CodeWisdom

Quasto

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2023
Hungary
Hi! Same problem for me. I change, my  Id to icloud domain a few mounth ago. Now i try my wife id set the original user on  tv and my acc another user. This setting work fine, and i finally made facetime calls on  tv with my acc. So this setup have a new problem for me. The homekit not working when my wife acc is the origanal user. 😭😭
So i hope  fix this issue with a patch.
Tv os 17.0, ios 17.0.1, ipad os 17.0.1
(Sorry my english 😊)

McKodiak

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
I changed my Apple ID about a year ago and am having the same issue. This is frustrating.

Arkanok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
Totally agree. I was super excited for this feature too. I ideated this potential idea as a Facebook Portal killer long before Apple announced it.

Spoke to Apple TV Support - went to senior tier. That was the one of worst experiences I've ever had with Apple Support. By any chance have you recently changed the email for your Apple ID? I have and it seems to be a common theme.
See this thread:
To be 100% clear, I'm having all the same issues. My account, the default account on the AppleTV, does not show up in the user list in FaceTime and scanning the QR code just fails (Times out I guess) without error.
I’ve changed my Apple ID as well recently. You might have found the core issue.

McKodiak

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
Has anyone tried resetting Apple TV to factory settings and starting with the new Apple ID? I have not.

Reactions: RBJ1954

adessmith

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2023
My Apple ID has never been changed and I have the same issue.
Do you have the issue where the facetime app just doesn't show up (different issue), or the issue where you can get into facetime but your user account just doesn't appear as an option and scanning the QR code refuses to connect.

adessmith

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2023
Anyone got this working on public releases? All my devices on public iOS 17 and tvOS 17. 4K Apple TV, can connect phone and Apple TV but start a FaceTime call and it doesn't ring another iPhone on iOS 17. Test with just iPhone to iPhone and FaceTime works fine. If you ring from the other phone to the iPhone connected to the aTV it has a notification but no way to answer it!

My Apple ID has never been changed and I have the same issue.
From your previous messages, it sounds like you have a different issue than the rest of us... Ours will not connect the iPhone camera to the Apple TV at all.

jrhop

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2014
From your previous messages, it sounds like you have a different issue than the rest of us... Ours will not connect the iPhone camera to the Apple TV at all.
OK, so yeah my account is listed and I can start the app, but when I ring someone it rings on the TV but not the person you are calling. If I try and add a new account I cannot scan the QR code either. Just says connecting to TV and eventually gives up.

Rokkit

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
Totally agree. I was super excited for this feature too. I ideated this potential idea as a Facebook Portal killer long before Apple announced it.

Spoke to Apple TV Support - went to senior tier. That was the one of worst experiences I've ever had with Apple Support. By any chance have you recently changed the email for your Apple ID? I have and it seems to be a common theme.
See this thread:
To be 100% clear, I'm having all the same issues. My account, the default account on the AppleTV, does not show up in the user list in FaceTime and scanning the QR code just fails (Times out I guess) without error.
Count me in the "recently changed Apple ID e-mail" group... changed it back in July.

I contacted support, and got them to finally admit there's a problem with going through RTFM garbage multiple times and re-doing diagnostic steps I had done multiple times myself.

I await tvOS 17.0.1...

K

Sperious

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2019
Sweden
I’ve tried removing my user account as primary user and adding it again to no avail. I haven’t tried adding another user as primary though. I’ll do that next.

Are any of you guys, by any chance, also having problems using the new SharePlay function where other users can collaborate on adding songs to the music app while using Carplay?

My family members get the notification to connect to collaborate but when they do, and I approve their request, nothing happens and a timeout error eventually shows. The same thing happens if they scan the QR code on the Carplay screen to try to connect.

I figure these issues might be related, especially if the theory that having changed the Apple ID email address recently has any credence.

Reactions: CodeWisdom
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.