Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InAustralia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia
I just updated my ATV4K to TVOS17, which is attached to a Samsung TV and Samsung soundbar. Following the update, the ATV remote no longer controls. the sound on my TV or soundbar. The remote will still turn on the TV and I can still control all the normal functions of the ATV, just not the sound anymore.

Everything was working fine until I decided to update to TVOS17.

Tried resetting the ATV remote, resetting the ATV, but that didn't work. Tried different HDMI cables, different HDMI ports, still no change.

I did unplug both the ATV and the Samsung TV, and control of the sound returned for a few minutes but then stopped again.

Has anyone got any ideas or experiencing the same issues?

The problem seems similar to these previous threads, so may not be related to TVOS17.

BorderingOn

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2016
BaseCamp Pro
I’m using infrared to control the volume on a non-HDMI receiver. After the os update, it reverted to TV volume. I can reprogram the infrared commands, and it works immediately after, but reverts back to TV volume after a short amount of time.

Broansaw

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2023
I just updated my ATV4K to TVOS17, which is attached to a Samsung TV and Samsung soundbar. Following the update, the ATV remote no longer controls. the sound on my TV or soundbar. The remote will still turn on the TV and I can still control all the normal functions of the ATV, just not the sound anymore.

Everything was working fine until I decided to update to TVOS17.

Tried resetting the ATV remote, resetting the ATV, but that didn't work. Tried different HDMI cables, different HDMI ports, still no change.

I did unplug both the ATV and the Samsung TV, and control of the sound returned for a few minutes but then stopped again.

Has anyone got any ideas or experiencing the same issues?

The problem seems similar to these previous threads, so may not be related to TVOS17.

I am having the same issue after the TVOS17 update. I tried Reseting the atv, the soundbar, the tv, checked all settings. Disconnected and reconnected the remote with no luck on getting the atv to control the sound bar again. It’s Super frustrating since everything worked correctly before the update with no issues.

pepetoony

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2023
I too am having this problem after the tvOS17 update. My ATV remote no longer controls my Sony Bravia's volume if my ATV is turned off which was never the case before. Worse: When I turn the ATV back on, it reverts my volume control setting to "Auto" (which doesn't work for some reason) so I have to manually go into my settings and change it back to "TV via IR" every single time. I thought a workaround--albeit a wasteful one--would be to simply keep my ATV on at all times and never allow it to sleep, but I just discovered that even when I keep it powered on constantly my ATV remote will eventually stop controlling my TV's volume anyway. SUPER annoying and I spent an hour of my day today on the phone with Apple support and got absolutely nowhere. I won't be allowing automatic updates ever again after this experience.

InAustralia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia
I contacted Apple Support about the issue and spent almost 2 hours on the phone with them. They didn't have any ideas on the cause of how to fix it. The troubleshooting they suggested is what I outlined above.

1. Restart the remote
2. Reboot the ATV
3. Try different HDMI ports, different HDMI cables
4. Toggle CEC on the TV
5. Toggle all the various options remote options on the ATV
6. Test the HDMI cable using the ATV diagnostic (I also did this through my Samsung TV using Samsung's diagnostic tools).
7. Erase the ATV and restore to factory settings

I tried all of these, but still no change.

I tried using my older ATV (non 4K version) from another TV and it also lost the ability to control the sound on my soundbar.

The end result was that Apple suggested I wait until the next ATV software update as after all the troubleshooting, they were pretty sure that it's an error in the software update.

Reactions: Broansaw

pepetoony

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2023
Yep--those are the same steps they had me go through, although I refused to do the factory reset. I know from experience that that almost never fixes an issue like this and I don't need the headache of having to re-login to all of my streaming apps. It's definitely an issue caused by the tvOS17 update whether Apple wants to acknowledge it or not. I did manage to get my call escalated to one of their engineering guys who assured me he'd submit the issue for further investigation, so hopefully the problem will get patched with their next update.

Apple: It just works :rolleyes:

Reactions: Broansaw

jezzastern

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2008
My Apple TV volume control is set to Auto via HDMI (AV Receiver). I have had no problems controlling the volume with the Apple TV remote since updating to tvOS 17.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
I have a problem since installing tvOS 17 that the remote app on my phone will not control the receiver volume with the volume buttons on the iPhone. Interestingly, it works when using the volume up/down buttons on the Lock Screen mini player.

ATV remote also works fine.

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
I've been running tvOS 17.0 as a Beta on my TV4K (A1842) for some time. And with it I have the "touch panel top" remote. It was hooked up to a Samsung KS8000 directly. But is now connected to a new Yamaha RX-A4A.

I haven't had any problems with the remote controlling they TV. Although I had to reset the TV to change the manner in which sources work with it.

The only problem I've encountered is a handshake issues with the TV4K and the AVR. Which until yesterday I thought was a problem with the AVR. I needed to wipe a FireTV Stick 4K for trade in on the new one. Strangely enough not only no handshake issues, but I get DD+ audio and HDR10 all the time. The sound and picture off the Stick is better than the ATV. I wonder what the latest version will be like? Good enough for me to dump the ATV . . .

Angio

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2021
Yup, same here. ATV 4k 1st gen. Demon receiver. Will no longer control volume. Did resets, no luck. If I change setting from auto to IR, it works for a short while, then reverts back to “auto”, and stops working. Have ARC configured.

jbjarko

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2015
MPLS
Same here with my Sonos arc. I use my phone (dog ate my remote). The rocker buttons on my iPhone don’t change the volume anymore, but I tried the mini player volume buttons on the lockscreen like above and it works. Frustrating. And I lost my up next, but that was prior to the 17 update.

Reactions: George Dawes

InAustralia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia
It’s frustrating, but one thing I did find is that if I turn my remote around (so the back is pointing towards the ATV), I can control the volume again!

The volume buttons on my iPhone no longer control the volume on the ATV now either.

pinkoos

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Texas
Plus one here - TV via IR to a Denon receiver reverts to Auto after some unknown time and volume stops working

Going into Settings and checking TV via IR allows it to start working again until the next revert

Started after tvOS 17 - zero issues with this prior to that

InAustralia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia
That points to a HDMI-CEC issue. Make sure Auto via HDMI is still the default in the Remote settings.
My remote is activated via IR (not HDMI), but in any event as mentioned in one of my posts above, I have done all the things Apple have asked, and there is still a problem.

A quick update though. I just returned from my Genius appointment at my local Apple Store (unrelated issue) and I mentioned my problems to the genius. He looked up the Apple database and told me that just today (25 September), the issue with the ATV and controlling sound has been recorded as a known issue. However no priority rating had been assigned to it as yet.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
That points to a HDMI-CEC issue. Make sure Auto via HDMI is still the default in the Remote settings.

It’s set to auto on my side. Weird thing is that the volume buttons on the iPad (also on iOS 17) work, but not on the iPhone.

trevoclark

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2015
Same issue, but connected to a Vizio. The TV over CEC sees the Apple TV. And I think the Apple TV is at least partially sending commands to the television. For example, I can tell Siri to turn the Apple TV on and the TV will also turn on (and same with an off command, though this is all most likely just the TV waking up to a video signal). But volume and power control is gone over Auto or HDMI settings. Have swapped cables, disconnected the Apple TV remote, completely reset the Vizio. Guess we'll have to be patient and hope that this bug is dealt with swiftly.

mccdyl001

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2017
I feel dumb but I have only just clicked that my phone no longer controlling the volume when using my 4K Apple TV coincided exactly with the upgrade to iOS 17. Before it worked from the remote app and from the Lock Screen remote widget. Now neither of those are working for me and my Samsung tv / soundbar setup.

Reactions: George Dawes

Scottifa

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2023
Same issue with my Sonos Beam since tvos17 update. I have a Kogan TV and if I toggle CEC off and on again, it works for a while. Fingers crossed for a firmware update soon.

WFScooter

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2023
I upgraded my first atv with funky touch pad remote, which controlled my pioneer receiver just fine, to the 4k atv, the new silver remote would not work the volume via ir on my pioneer receiver, so I switched back to the previous remote on the 4k atv, and everything worked. It’s like the new remote didn’t have the ir code needed for my older receiver. Now tvOS 17 has managed to update my old atv remote with the same codes the newer remote has and broke my simple workaround. 😥

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Noticed the same on a friends after the tvOS update. Their soundbar was being controlled via IR instead of CEC but it was no longer working with AppleTV remote volume after working just fine for 12+ months that way. Broke out the soundbar remote and relearned volume up & down with the AppleTV remote. All is working again... and has been for about 10 days now.

I didn't read every one of the above posts, but this may be the easiest workaround until maybe tvOS17 is updated with some kind of fix. Takes less than a minute to learn the IR volume up and down to an AppleTV remote.

In my own setup (receiver and 5.1 instead of soundbar and CEC on), all is working as it was before the tvOS17 update... so this appears to be a select hardware thing when it comes to CEC.

Last edited:
Reactions: WFScooter

InAustralia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia
I was contacted by Apple Engineers the other day and they asked if I could send them videos of the problem, and details of my OS version and hardware details.

At least someone at Apple is looking at it, but no update on when a fix is coming.

Reactions: WFScooter

jordanpin

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2020
Fixed this issue by deleting the remote from Home Theater Control, re-learning the remote, and saving it as a different name. Somehow the tvOS update broke the IR profile associated with the old name, and Apple TV wasn't actually forgetting the remote/name when deleted.

Simple fix but not sure how this made it past the beta phase.

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

Harry110

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2011
Same for me. I have a Denon receiver and ATV remote was resetting to "auto" whenever I powered off. Spoke to Apple support and they are aware of multiple people reporting this issue. The more that call in - I would hope - the sooner there is a real fix.

In the meantime, like the user above, I had the remote "Learn New Device" and after following the prompts it has been working ever since.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.