Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D-a-a-n

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
I have an old AppleTV, so I feel lucky to still get the latest updates.
That said...why on earth did they make the clock smaller? I have an old tv (13 year old 34" LG), which is only 1080p, and it makes it really hard to check the clock from a distance. Is there a way to make this bigger?

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
What do you mean by smaller, this is the first time there’s ever been a clock on the homescreen.
I suppose it all depends on your screen size I guess but looks fine on my 65”

Reactions: Basic75 and JBaby

D-a-a-n

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
What do you mean by smaller, this is the first time there’s ever been a clock on the homescreen.
I suppose it all depends on your screen size I guess but looks fine on my 65”
In the past, when you held the home button, it would show account options and a much bigger clock, like this:
apple-tv-tvos-control-center-746x435.jpg

Also, it pre-selected the 'sleep' action, like in the screenshot, now I have to swipe down first :-(

Reactions: JBaby and WFScooter

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
In the past, when you held the home button, it would show account options and a much bigger clock, like this:
apple-tv-tvos-control-center-746x435.jpg
Oh yeah so it did, shows how often I used control centre to see what the time was Lol

Also, it pre-selected the 'sleep' action, like in the screenshot, now I have to swipe down first :-(
First world problems that is Lol.
Siri(Mic) Button - “Turn off” 😉

WFScooter

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2023
IMG_2698.jpeg
I have 3 issues with the tvOS 17 changes. The clock size, not defaulting to sleep, now called Power Off, and lastly, I can’t control my receiver volume via infrared anymore. I don’t understand these changes just for the sake of making a change. I doubt anyone complained to Apple about the clock being too big, but I’m sure going to complain about having to squint now at 2AM when looking to decide whether to play the movie again I go to sleep to or power off the tv and give it a little break before a long day of anime and sci-fi. I have a 65” tv and it’s annoying…

D-a-a-n

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
I have 3 issues with the tvOS 17 changes. The clock size, not defaulting to sleep, now called Power Off, and lastly, I can’t control my receiver volume via infrared anymore. I don’t understand these changes just for the sake of making a change. I doubt anyone complained to Apple about the clock being too big, but I’m sure going to complain about having to squint now at 2AM when looking to decide whether to play the movie again I go to sleep to or power off the tv and give it a little break before a long day of anime and sci-fi. I have a 65” tv and it’s annoying…
Aha, so I'm not alone, thanks! :-D
They probably made those changes to be more in line with control center on a mac/iPhone/iPad, but they're just badly executed.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008

[just got ninja'd]

I'd hate to imagine what UIs would be like now if the current generations of UX designers were the ones who created the first GUIs, and the Mac HIGs, which must have made for a pretty spectacular bonfire when they held the book burning at Apple.

Usability, discoverability, and function have all clearly take a back seat to looks and sleekness.

Sonoma's lock screen is another recent example, moving the long-standing Sleep and Shut Down buttons into a menu at the top of the screen far away from their former, easily accessible places. But hey, the pretty new wallpapers move!

Reactions: seanrt and Basic75

D-a-a-n

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010

[just got ninja'd]

I'd hate to imagine what UIs would be like now if the current generations of UX designers were the ones who created the first GUIs, and the Mac HIGs, which must have made for a pretty spectacular bonfire when they held the book burning at Apple.

Usability, discoverability, and function have all clearly take a back seat to looks and sleekness.

Sonoma's lock screen is another recent example, moving the long-standing Sleep and Shut Down buttons into a menu at the top of the screen far away from their former, easily accessible places. But hey, the pretty new wallpapers move!
Pretty much this...I mean it's still miles ahead of Windows, but they're not the perfectionists they used to be. For me, OSX Snow Leopard is still peak OS design (ignoring the ugly 3d dock look ;-))

Reactions: seanrt

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Yea, this is super annoying and seems to punish users that still use the old black remote.
I still have the original white plastic remote... and can pretty much manage my way around the interface without issue... and I've historically had issues with older TV boxes losing their minds when they went to sleep, so I always set the option to SLEEP: NEVER.

Back on topic, the clock size doesn't matter to me... I an Watch, an iPhone, an iPad and have clocks everywhere around the house...

Reactions: George Dawes

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I still have the original white plastic remote... and can pretty much manage my way around the interface without issue... and I've historically had issues with older TV boxes losing their minds when they went to sleep, so I always set the option to SLEEP: NEVER.
I suspect for most folks using modern ATVs, it's about the HDMI-CEC functionality. Putting your ATV to sleep also puts your TV, AVR or soundbar, etc. to sleep as well all with one remote and one action. But now for folks with a older remote, it's an extra swipe or button press, and an awkward one at that.

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
I wish the remote had less buttons, it’s obviously been designed to look nice rather than be intuitive

Why do you need a pause and mute for example ..

Plus backlight option would be nice

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Because upon the release of the 1st gen Siri Remote with the ATV4 and ATV4K 1st gen one of the most requested functions was a mute button.

Me, I’ll just press pause myself as if I don’t need to be hearing it then there’s a very strong chance I won’t be watching it either.

Reactions: seanrt

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I wish the remote had less buttons, it’s obviously been designed to look nice rather than be intuitive

Plus backlight option would be nice
I have no issue with the number of buttons on the newest iteration of the Apple Remote. One could argue that the Back and Home buttons are somewhat redundant (you can get to the Home Screen with multiple clicks of the Back button)... but the Pause and Mute functions are different. It's true that pausing the stream will also have the effect of muting the audio, but pressing the Mute button will only silence the playback - it will not pause the stream.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

Live sports is where I use the mute button often.

I'll mute commercials sometimes, and since it is live I cannot simply fast-forward. Or, sometimes there are multiple people watching, but we need to mute it for a few second; for example to place a food order. This way, the one person the phone with the pizza place can have it muted for their benefit while the rest of the group can keep watching the live action.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I suspect for most folks using modern ATVs, it's about the HDMI-CEC functionality. Putting your ATV to sleep also puts your TV, AVR or soundbar, etc. to sleep as well all with one remote and one action. But now for folks with a older remote, it's an extra swipe or button press, and an awkward one at that.
Not for nothing, but if you set up a home in HomeKit and add the Apple TV to it, you can just pick up your phone and say "turn off the TV" and it will shut it down.

kerr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
So tvOS 17 not only made the font of the digital clock smaller, but the day and the date have been removed?

winstars

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2015
Now the clock is really too small. Please, Apple do something.
I would like to point out that besides not defaulting to the now small clock, there are now 6 (smaller sized) apps across the home screen instead of the previous (larger) 5 apps across.
Which to me make the page slightly busier for my eyes...???
Its a first world problem for sure but...

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I would like to point out that besides not defaulting to the now small clock, there are now 6 (smaller sized) apps across the home screen instead of the previous (larger) 5 apps across.
Which to me make the page slightly busier for my eyes...???
Its a first world problem for sure but...

I quite like the 6-up design. I have about 24 apps on my AppleTVs, so this is a much better design, IMO.

Reactions: SalisburySam

ZeChild

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Glasgow, UK
Increasing the size of the clock would be appreciated, however the biggest issue I have with the clock is it doesn't show on the screensaver, seems like a massive oversight (unless there's a way to turn it on there that I can't find).

Reactions: SalisburySam

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Increasing the size of the clock would be appreciated, however the biggest issue I have with the clock is it doesn't show on the screensaver, seems like a massive oversight (unless there's a way to turn it on there that I can't find).

Yeah, it would be nice to be able to do text overlays on the screensaver like the aerial screensaver in macOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.