Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Increasing the size of the clock would be appreciated, however the biggest issue I have with the clock is it doesn't show on the screensaver, seems like a massive oversight (unless there's a way to turn it on there that I can't find).
But isn’t the whole point of a screensaver so that there’s no static image on screen which could cause burn in for TVs that are susceptible to image retention?
Having a static clock on top of the screensavers kinda defeats the purpose.

Reactions: seanrt and JBaby

ZeChild

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Glasgow, UK
But isn’t the whole point of a screensaver so that there’s no static image on screen which could cause burn in for TVs that are susceptible to image retention?
Having a static clock on top of the screensavers kinda defeats the purpose.
Doesn’t have to be static, it could change location on the screen each time the screensaver changes.

My Fire Stick has the time on the screensaver and I’ve never heard any major complaints that it causes burn in.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Doesn’t have to be static, it could change location on the screen each time the screensaver changes.

My Fire Stick has the time on the screensaver and I’ve never heard any major complaints that it causes burn in.
A lot of those things do, in fact, move the "static" components slightly... the screensaver on my Amazon Echo Show moves the clock by a few pixels every so often... so that could be done relatively easily... the real issue is that your idea about what should be and what Apple thinks should be are often vastly different. :)

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
In the past, when you held the home button, it would show account options and a much bigger clock, like this:
apple-tv-tvos-control-center-746x435.jpg

Also, it pre-selected the 'sleep' action, like in the screenshot, now I have to swipe down first :-(
I'm glad I never updated. I only have an apple tv in my bedroom and that sleep option is literally the only way I turn the tv off. I'd hate for it to change.

SparkyCanada

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
View attachment 2292471 I have 3 issues with the tvOS 17 changes. The clock size, not defaulting to sleep, now called Power Off, and lastly, I can’t control my receiver volume via infrared anymore. I don’t understand these changes just for the sake of making a change. I doubt anyone complained to Apple about the clock being too big, but I’m sure going to complain about having to squint now at 2AM when looking to decide whether to play the movie again I go to sleep to or power off the tv and give it a little break before a long day of anime and sci-fi. I have a 65” tv and it’s annoying…

Hey there.

I noticed on my Apple TV that it now says "Power Off" - where it used to say 'Sleep"

Do you think it's actually turning the power off - or is it still just putting it into sleep mode?

Thanks,

Sparky

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Hey there.

I noticed on my Apple TV that it now says "Power Off" - where it used to say 'Sleep"

Do you think it's actually turning the power off - or is it still just putting it into sleep mode?

Thanks,

Sparky
Same as before, it’s just spelt differently.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Hey there.

If it shut down, you wouldn't be able to turn it on from the remote which render the device useless without pulling and re-inserting the power plug.

Reactions: -Gonzo-

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Yeah, it would be nice to be able to do text overlays on the screensaver like the aerial screensaver in macOS.
Indeed, it would be cool to make the screensaver more like the iOS lock screen in general, such as adding widget overlays for things like weather, home status, and news headlines.

kerr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
there are now 6 (smaller sized) apps across the home screen instead of the previous (larger) 5 apps across.
I quite like the 6-up design. I have about 24 apps on my AppleTVs, so this is a much better design, IMO.
My response to many things is "why not both", in other words, let the user choose.

I would think a good developer would provide users with more choice rather than forcing through needless change. There should be a display option in Settings to show 4 icons across, 5 icons across (default), or 6 icons across.

Reactions: seanrt

seanrt

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2015
USA
I would like to point out that besides not defaulting to the now small clock, there are now 6 (smaller sized) apps across the home screen instead of the previous (larger) 5 apps across.
Which to me make the page slightly busier for my eyes...???
Its a first world problem for sure but...
The six icon row is driving me nuts. I wish they would let us choose The number in a row.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
My response to many things is "why not both", in other words, let the user choose.

I would think a good developer would provide users with more choice rather than forcing through needless change. There should be a display option in Settings to show 4 icons across, 5 icons across (default), or 6 icons across.
The six icon row is driving me nuts. I wish they would let us choose The number in a row.

Things change, stuff evolves... if you can't manage 6 icons wide on your 60-85" TV, not sure what to tell you... I am quite happy with the 6-up design, and it reduces the vertical scrolling on my screens.

Reactions: JBaby
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.