Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Version 1.5 now available in the App Store

o Added Location name to the weather view
o For weather you may now call a WOEID directly by adding the string 'woeid' plus code instead of a postal code. For example: woeid732073.

ValourBeats

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2015
Apple tv is showing that I used about 10gb of storage which I know is not true. I don't have that many apps and there small in size. Is there any way of knowing how much those aerial videos are using? I know it says 600mb for each but I had mine set to change daily. Ive look through the apple tv from top to bottom and theres no way I'm using that much storage. The only thing I can think of is maybe all those aerial videos must be stored some where?
Also Itunes tv shows don't get stored on the device right its all in the cloud?

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Apple tv is showing that I used about 10gb of storage which I know is not true. I don't have that many apps and there small in size. Is there any way of knowing how much those aerial videos are using? I know it says 600mb for each but I had mine set to change daily. Ive look through the apple tv from top to bottom and theres no way I'm using that much storage. The only thing I can think of is maybe all those aerial videos must be stored some where?
Also Itunes tv shows don't get stored on the device right its all in the cloud?

Apple does not allow developers to access data for other apps on the device. There is no way for me to tell you what's taking the space.

I personally I have 3 apple TVs and I have one as well that's showing more usage than the rest but there really isn't anyway for me to know what's causing it. It's probably temporary related.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Dupe post. I really hate that you can't delete your own posts.

ValourBeats

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2015
Apple does not allow developers to access data for other apps on the device. There is no way for me to tell you what's taking the space.

I personally I have 3 apple TVs and I have one as well that's showing more usage than the rest but there really isn't anyway for me to know what's causing it. It's probably temporary related.

Ok thanks Ill keep investigating it.

ValourBeats

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2015

I think I just found out where all my storage was going. It looks like Apple music is storing cache on the device somewhere. I signed out of my iTunes account, went to apple music to make sure i was signed out. Then restarted the Apple tv checked storage and now I'm only using 3gb of storage instead of 10gb lol. Apple music was eating up a lot of my storage.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
It looks like Apple music is storing cache on the device somewhere. ... now I'm only using 3gb of storage instead of 10gb lol.
So this is interesting to know for the sake of curiosity, but I'm wondering if attempting to "free up" storage isn't a bit misguided - under TVOS essentially everything on the new AppleTV is cached - music / movies from iTunes, apps from the App Store, app data from iCloud. A situation in which having lots of "free space" (a good strategy in many other places like iOS and OS X) instead simply demonstrates an ineffective use of caching, since a greater percentage of the things you might want to look next at will require re-downloading (behind the scenes), rather than playing straight from cache.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
So this is interesting to know for the sake of curiosity, but I'm wondering if attempting to "free up" storage isn't a bit misguided - under TVOS essentially everything on the new AppleTV is cached - music / movies from iTunes, apps from the App Store, app data from iCloud. A situation in which having lots of "free space" (a good strategy in many other places like iOS and OS X) instead simply demonstrates an ineffective use of caching, since a greater percentage of the things you might want to look next at will require re-downloading (behind the scenes), rather than playing straight from cache.

This is exactly right. having a lot of used storage on Apple TV should not cause the same alarm as on other devices. The apple TV will free up that space as needed.

The new Apple TV is a fantastic device that kills everything else out there IMHO. Do we have all the content we want? Not yet. But thats just a matter of time.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Version 1.6 now available:

o New Settings screen
o New postal code screen to enter your location.
o New 'Current Location' option that tries to find your zip code for you.
o Few minor under-the-hood stuff tweaks.

Reactions: firewire9000

firewire9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2015
Yes, perfectly fine, thanks. I only was wondering if you stopped the development or planning to add more features.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Glad to hear it. Probably wont do much with it right now, i mean it does what it does, ya know?

firewire9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2015
Hi again,

I don’t know if it’s because of the beta but since I’ve updated to tvOS 13 this app does weird things like turning the background into black, the text into blue and the storage bar into yellow. And sometimes when I open it, it glitches a bit and then back to normal.

Let’s see if with the next beta it fixes or maybe it’s about compatibility between tvOS 13 and the app itself.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Hi again,

I don’t know if it’s because of the beta but since I’ve updated to tvOS 13 this app does weird things like turning the background into black, the text into blue and the storage bar into yellow. And sometimes when I open it, it glitches a bit and then back to normal.

Let’s see if with the next beta it fixes or maybe it’s about compatibility between tvOS 13 and the app itself.

I wont do anything about it now but when iOS 13 official releases in a few months if its still broke ill definitely fix it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.