Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
This adapter only goes from USB-C to HDMI. It’s not bidirectional.
So what would be the solution for an HDMI output from PC to Studio Display USB-C? I only need this solution 5% of the time, so 4K60 resolution would be OK for my purposes.

nastysailboat

Cancelled
May 7, 2021
It’s probably not the best solution but for now I’ve got one Mac plugged in and turned screen sharing on, on the other. Then if I need to use the other real quick I just login to it. The quality is lower on the screen share but it works

CelticDude

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2022
After much research, I have decided to just buy this TB3 extension cable and manually switch between my Mac mini and my MacBook. It might wear out after a while, but at least I won't damage my computer ports.

Reactions: Johnf1285

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
I run two studio displays currently and have a soon-to-be-delivered Mac Studio (personal) and a 2018 MacBook Pro 15" (work) that I want to toggle between. I've searched high and low and nothing seems to be available for a situation like this as far as switching via a button than unplugging and plugging things in. What I did do was order this, to help alleviate things a bit and hopefully get me down to just unplugging and plugging in a single wire as opposed to two:

It will be arriving today. While I don't have the other computer just yet, I will be able to test how this handles two Studio Displays and whether or not it'll help things out. Id rather wear out the ports on this than the computers (although the idea of any of these wearing out is slim to none - has anyone else seen how heavy duty the ports look on the Mac Studio!?).

I'll post an update later today.

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022
After much research, I have decided to just buy this TB3 extension cable and manually switch between my Mac mini and my MacBook. It might wear out after a while, but at least I won't damage my computer ports.

wow i'm surpised such a thing exists, I thought thunderbolt timing was really tight, I wonder how many of these you can daisy chain

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
Pretty impressed with this Anker hub. I've never used the brand before but have heard good things. Attached are some pictures.

I currently have each studio display running through the hub with a single thunderbolt connection to a 2018 MacBook Pro. Camera, microphone, speakers, etc., all work as expected. I can even run each monitor at the "scaled 2560x1440" resolution, but I've been using both at the "scaled 1920x1080". I've been using that resolution before getting this hub, as I just find it easier on the eyes despite the lack of screen total real estate.

Once the Mac Studio arrives, I'll tidy up my wires and such, but I think this hub can tuck right away behind the pedestal of one of the studio displays without issue. I will need to use double sided tape with velcro to keep it secure though as I intend on just having to swap a thunderbolt connection when changing computers (and keyboard and mouse, too). DC24ABD9-5183-4FBF-9B60-F9A18FFC3F9E.jpeg 3BC7AE58-B929-4C51-A642-BC3BA4CD49BA.jpeg 733857BD-E86C-4C30-B0C7-936C25A37A8E.jpeg 0739744C-31CC-4844-8A9E-F01C25355786.jpeg F913A8E1-6528-4B61-8971-6A7509985E58.jpeg 9484F5D5-161E-4B0A-B5B7-E27F1A046158.jpeg BA987C9B-314C-4FE1-B35E-44A69A237D63.jpeg

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
And what about the topic with connecting 2 Macs to one display? Also working?
I don't yet have a second Mac that has its video output via Thunderbolt - but it's my understaning that I'll need to physically remove the input wire from one machine to the other from the hub. That's the biggest drawback of having these monitors with more than one computer (or one of these monitors). Having two inputs on the monitor would've been nice and more than common enough across this space.

avedis

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2015
Count me in!

I emailed the company asking to purchase, let’s see what they reply back.
Have also emailed the them to see if they are willing to sell them in single quantity (I don't live in the states). Hopefully they will.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
That would be great if we could do a group buy. I'd love to have a switch for this set up. This hub works, but it's still not ideal.

Reactions: avedis

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
I run two studio displays currently and have a soon-to-be-delivered Mac Studio (personal) and a 2018 MacBook Pro 15" (work) that I want to toggle between. I've searched high and low and nothing seems to be available for a situation like this as far as switching via a button than unplugging and plugging things in. What I did do was order this, to help alleviate things a bit and hopefully get me down to just unplugging and plugging in a single wire as opposed to two:

It will be arriving today. While I don't have the other computer just yet, I will be able to test how this handles two Studio Displays and whether or not it'll help things out. Id rather wear out the ports on this than the computers (although the idea of any of these wearing out is slim to none - has anyone else seen how heavy duty the ports look on the Mac Studio!?).

I'll post an update later today.

Sorry, I'm not following...what benefit does the Anker hub provide?

I have a personal M1 MBA and I will soon have an M1 MBA from my work. I'd like to use them both, at different times of day, with my Studio Display. It seems I have to physically unplug the TB cable out of one laptop and plug into the other. Does this hub fix that situation somehow?

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
I found two answers in the Q&A on Amazon that make it seem this will not be ideal. See first and last questions:

Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 2.52.30 PM.png

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
I'm curious as to what happens when using the Cable Deconn switch with a Mac and PC. Does the Mac correctly switch to USB-C DP Alt-Mode when it sees the Cable Deconn switch? Does the Studio Display get correctly controlled by the Mac when connected via USB-C DP Alt-Mode, meaning does the Mac's drivers know how to adjust things like brightness and such via the USB 2.0 connection, does sound and the webcam work at all, and most importantly is the Mac switching to DP 1.4 DSC and sending 5K ? I could easily see Apple assuming that any Mac connected to the Studio Display is doing so via TB-4 rather than via USB-C DP Alt-Mode with DSC, since that was the situation with the LG Ultrafines. On the PC side, my assumption is for best results using a VR cable like Belkin or Huawei, just as it's always been. I've tried to get a switchbox setup working in the past with both the LG Ultrafine 5K and 4K and it was a mess. The 5K was a non-starter and the 4K really did not like when things were switched over and half the time would just go blank when switching. Ended up returning everything. Definitely would not want to wait 8 to 10 weeks to get a Studio Display just to discover the whole thing was a bust like last time.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
Sorry, I'm not following...what benefit does the Anker hub provide?

I have a personal M1 MBA and I will soon have an M1 MBA from my work. I'd like to use them both, at different times of day, with my Studio Display. It seems I have to physically unplug the TB cable out of one laptop and plug into the other. Does this hub fix that situation somehow?

I run two Studio Displays. The benefit is that I now just have to deal with unplugging a single wire as opposed to two when I switch between machines. And it gives me more thunderbolt ports, I suppose. We'll see if the benefits outweigh the price tag over the next few days once the Mac Studio arrives (potentially tomorrow) and I have two machines to switch between.

Reactions: pkamb

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
I run two Studio Displays. The benefit is that I now just have to deal with unplugging a single wire as opposed to two when I switch between machines. And it gives me more thunderbolt ports, I suppose. We'll see if the benefits outweigh the price tag over the next few days once the Mac Studio arrives (potentially tomorrow) and I have two machines to switch between.
I'm not sure you need the hub though since there is a hub built into the Studio Display. Can't you just daisy chain the two displays using the connections on the back of each display?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.