Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
I found two answers in the Q&A on Amazon that make it seem this will not be ideal. See first and last questions:

View attachment 1983712
I saw this too, which turned me off from it, despite Ars Technica (I think) mentioning that the Studio Display worked just fine via a USB C 2.1 cable that supports 10 GBPS. I think it all boils down to the interface using Display Port 1.4 at the end of the day. The extra throughput then allows the connections on the back of the monitor to be used for, well, higher throughput things. So it all depends upon people's use cases.

Now the question is, who wants to test out this switch to see if it works knowing that the monitor allegedly does just fine with a USB C 2.1 10 GBPS connection, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: sigamy

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
I'm not sure you need the hub though since there is a hub built into the Studio Display. Can't you just daisy chain the two displays using the connections on the back of each display?

These cannot be daisy chained, unfortunately. It was the first thing I tried.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I'm not sure you need the hub though since there is a hub built into the Studio Display. Can't you just daisy chain the two displays using the connections on the back of each display?
As pointed out, the Studio Display doesn’t have a second downstream Thunderbolt port. Daisy-chaining another display off it isn’t possible.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
After much research, I have decided to just buy this TB3 extension cable and manually switch between my Mac mini and my MacBook. It might wear out after a while, but at least I won't damage my computer ports.

Yep I’m in the same boat and that’s the one I’ve just ordered. I’ll be able to manually switch between my MacBook and Windows laptop without wrecking my MacBook port.

Lee Cooper

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2021
The problem I see using the tb4 extension cable is that you need to eject all SSD / HHD connected to the monitor before you unplug the cable from computer. Each time you switch computers.
Otherwise you will get the "improper eject" notifications, and possible corrupted files.

So, forget about TM or backup drives attached directly to the monitor.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011

I found two answers in the Q&A on Amazon that make it seem this will not be ideal. See first and last questions:

View attachment 1983712
For some reason, I'm getting the vibe that the seller says "no" mainly because they haven't tried it/confirmed it will work with that exact use case.

If no one here has any direct experience, I might just have to order one myself...

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
For some reason, I'm getting the vibe that the seller says "no" mainly because they haven't tried it/confirmed it will work with that exact use case.
Unfortunately, some of the reports from buyers in the reviews show they tried it with the ultrafine and it didn't work. With both the sellers and buyers reporting it doesn't work I think we can be pretty certain it doesn't. :(

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Unfortunately, some of the reports from buyers in the reviews show they tried it with the ultrafine and it didn't work. With both the sellers and buyers reporting it doesn't work I think we can be pretty certain it doesn't. :(
Ah. But I wonder, "why"?

WhatTheCJ

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2015
Malibu, CA
I'd be interested too.
Forgot to update the forums... the company responded initially, however upon my response to them, they haven't gotten back to me. They were wondering if this was a purchase for a company; I had mentioned a bulk order but they have not responded. Their loss... for now, I've decided on this: https://www.amazon.com/YoungSelly-M...x=thunderbolt+4+magnet,electronics,208&sr=1-5

Allows me to switch between my two Macs easily, no stress on the port or cable

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
I don’t think that the Ultrafine is a good indicator one way or another. The panels might be the same but I think the controllers are probably completely different.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Forgot to update the forums... the company responded initially, however upon my response to them, they haven't gotten back to me. They were wondering if this was a purchase for a company; I had mentioned a bulk order but they have not responded. Their loss... for now, I've decided on this: https://www.amazon.com/YoungSelly-Magnetic-Connector-Thunderbolt-Compatible/dp/B09SP1JZPC/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=thunderbolt+4+magnetic+adapter&qid=1648704076&s=electronics&sprefix=thunderbolt+4+magnet,electronics,208&sr=1-5

Well that’s a low cost solution that I hadn’t considered. You’ve received these in particular, and they work? They need to sell just the short ends, too.

Reactions: WhatTheCJ

Lee Cooper

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2021
For two Macs could try Screen Mirroring as BeatCreazy proposed in the ASD owner thread.

Not sure if the Mac Mini and Mac Studio support Airplay Mirroring. The MBP supports, and the Apple TV...

My advise here is to use wired gigabit connections to all Macs.

Maybe Screen Mirroring this is Apple idea of a KVM switch, who knows...at 10 Gbs network will be perfect.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
Forgot to update the forums... the company responded initially, however upon my response to them, they haven't gotten back to me. They were wondering if this was a purchase for a company; I had mentioned a bulk order but they have not responded. Their loss... for now, I've decided on this: https://www.amazon.com/YoungSelly-Magnetic-Connector-Thunderbolt-Compatible/dp/B09SP1JZPC/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=thunderbolt+4+magnetic+adapter&qid=1648704076&s=electronics&sprefix=thunderbolt+4+magnet,electronics,208&sr=1-5

Nice! I just ordered some of these too. Good find, thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhatTheCJ

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Yes, using them right now! The link I provided is the ones I have. It includes 2 magnetic pieces that go on the cable, and 4 'stubs' that go into the usb-c port -- they work perfectly
You bought the 2-pack elbow version?

WhatTheCJ

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2015
Malibu, CA
You bought the 2-pack elbow version?
I bought the 2-pack straight, but I see that is no longer an option. for my setup, the straights made more sense than the elbow pieces.

I have a Mac mini and a MBP for work. Only reason I bought the 2 pack was convenience/future proof.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I bought the 2-pack straight, but I see that is no longer an option. for my setup, the straights made more sense than the elbow pieces.

I have a Mac mini and a MBP for work. Only reason I bought the 2 pack was convenience/future proof.
Cool. I just ordered a straight one, will test on my XDR tomorrow.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
Two pack of elbow connectors arrived today. So far, so good!

I intend on mounting this Anker hub under my desk with some hefty double sided tape once I get everything set up. Once mounted, I'll be able to do the switch between work and home with minimal effort and it’ll look nice and neat. Right now work is plugged in (MacBook Pro will live elsewhere than the desk, currently on the floor lol) and the wire with the other magnetic connector in the foreground is home (Mac Studio).

Swapping them is near effortless. I guess this might be the best solution for me. A button (a la KVM) would've been nicer.

34381548-5216-4D8C-9C65-E38350FFFD51.jpeg

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011

Confirmed, I was able to use this adapter and retain full 6K functionality + charging via my Pro Display XDR. So, I'm confident it should work via ASD like it did for @WhatTheCJ
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09SP1JZPC/

I'm calling this approach the "poor man's KVM" for using two computers and one Studio Display (or XDR).

Reactions: maverick808
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.