Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Ooh goodie - blue screens are always fun. I'll wait til WWDC and see what happens. Apple wouldn't want to be involved in false advertising!

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
I posted an observation at ipodlounge that with my ipod...in the dark, yes the backlight DOES look white...but in lit situations the backlight does very much have a blue tint to it. So I'm assuming that the ipod's the Apple employee put out on display were:

1. in full florescent light and could've change the way the led's color appeared.

2. compared to an ipod thats been under wear and tear the newer ipod that was put on display would probably look brighter and bluer.

just think about how certain colors react to flouresent lighting...especially in the apple store....everyone could be jumping to conclusions just by checkin the ipod's backlight in unlit conditions...but when compared to lit conditions the results can be different.
the same can be said about a new ipod vs an ipod thats been on display and in peoples hands for several weeks. Flourescent lighting does tend to make things look brighter and bluer.

AndrewMT

macrumors regular
Yeah, I'm sorry, but this is the stupidist post I've ever seen on macrumors. The backlight on the new and old ipods is the white/blue color also found on the lit Apple logo on the ice ibooks. The backlight is a chromoluminescent strip which is as close to white as it can get. A similar strip is found on the gameboy sp which also has a slightly blue tint to it.

physicsnerd

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2003
West Lafayette, IN
Looking at the photos they do look slightly different. It's not really suprising that Apple would switch screens so soon. Apple may very well have been producing these for a couple of months before the announcement. If after so many thousand were produced, Apple found a better screen for the same price or cheaper, they may have just switched them out. It's not really worthy of Apple mentioning it because it happens all the time in the manufacturing process. I'm sure Apple swiches resistors, caps, ect all the time based on cost issuses. They're not as apparent as switching a screen, but it happens constantly in almost every industry.

Apple wouldn't want to have everyone who just bought them try to switch them for the "new and improved" ipods. Also, i'm not sure if the screen on the new ipods is the same as the old ones. But if they are, it's possible that Apple just wanted to use up the excess inventory before switching to the newer screens.

physicsnerd

------------------
"Even logic must give way to physics" - Spock

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
I don't understand why the revise the iPods (If they did) so soon after releasing them...

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
Sorry to post again so soon but..
This was on the (Original 5gb) iPod intro video and when they came out the backlight was white.

Relevant, perhaps, irrelavent, perhaps.

Attachments

• picture 2.jpg
    picture 2.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 5,750

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
i think apple over did it with some photoshop or some app like that. giving it that timex indigo blue look really stressed the new better display. i was looking at mine the other day and it was white. i was looking at people's on the internet and a lot of theirs looked really blue. then a couple of days i looked at mine in the right lighting and it was blue. its odd but i doubt there are two ipods, i will stay on the lookout though, interesting thought.

iJon

KLFloyd

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Gainesville, FL
The first runs of any product to come off the assembly line are notoriously buggy. Minor improvements, changes in internal circuitry, etc are made to correct these bugs and to try to work all of the kinks out of the system.

It does seem like there are higher than normal reports of bugs in the 3rd Gen. iPods, some no doubt hardware, some software. Perhaps if this truly is the 2nd batch to come off the assembly line we'll notice some minor improvements as well.

Here's to hoping...my iPods due to ship May 30th! :)

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
I could've sworn that my iPod had a blue screen......until I looked at it in my apt

so maybe the color does differ, depending on the light?

at least those KEY buttons remain RED!!!

noverflow

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2002
has anyone here ever heard of color balance.

daylight is blue or about 6500k
inside light is amber or about 4500k
note: it is kelvin- so there is NO degrees

if you are out side the ipod would look very white.

if you where inside and the main light was your normal lights, your eyes would white balance to the 4500k by adding blue and the ipod would look very blue.

when taking pics of your ipod, set your white balance to outside and look how it comes out.

then try the inside set... it will be so very blue.

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
To elaborate on the above:

- more specifically Tungstun Light is amber / yellow.

Florescents, Halogens, Neons (yes, I realize that they generate different colors of "neon" lights by adding different gasses, but JUST neon has it's own color Mr(s). Smarty Pants) and all other light sources have their own 'colors' too.

The best way to tell is to get all the iPods in a completely dark room and fire them up.

neier

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2003
Japan
Photoshopped?

Originally posted by iJon
i think apple over did it with some photoshop or some app like that. giving it that timex indigo blue look really stressed the new better display.

When I go to the language menu, "Japanese" is written in Kanji -- not spelled out like in that picture. Of course, I live in Japan, so maybe that is why? But, "Deutsch" and "Francais" also show up instead of German and French. Do US iPods have the language menu just like the one shown in the picture above??

Monkeypoo

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2003
90 - 30
This cracks me up that a digital camera and ambient lighting could cause such an uproar! I've played around with my camera taking pictures of some brightly colored papers (origami ball I made instead of studying) and there are so many features (white balance, vivid, neutral, soft edges, etc) on a camera that the ball changes colors every time I change just one setting a tiny bit. If I tried, I could probably post a picture of a yellow ipod screen (but since I also ordered from dell, I'm in the same boat as katie...waiting). But it was a nice break from studying to laugh at the ipodlounge "debate."

KLFloyd

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Gainesville, FL
Originally posted by HasanDaddy
btw Katie --

good to hear

I recall you, like me, have been waiting since Feb for this update!

Hey thanks for remembering...in fact I've been waiting for an iPod update since last JULY. Of course I didn't get everything I wanted but I can't wait forever.

I'm just hoping this new dock port will present lots of opportunities for expansion. There are way too many connectors in there to limit it to it's current abilities.

I'm just twiddling my thumbs waiting for my iPod to arrive, I guess then I'll know for sure.

mim

macrumors 6502
Originally posted by noverflow
has anyone here ever heard of color balance.

daylight is blue or about 6500k
inside light is amber or about 4500k
note: it is kelvin- so there is NO degrees

if you are out side the ipod would look very white.

if you where inside and the main light was your normal lights, your eyes would white balance to the 4500k by adding blue and the ipod would look very blue.

when taking pics of your ipod, set your white balance to outside and look how it comes out.

then try the inside set... it will be so very blue.

Good info.

Films also change colours in varying light levels. Kodak film goes golden yellow, fuji (some of them) have a stronger blue hue, etc.

I don't know the specifics on digital cameras, but playing around with the white balance on my Ricoh can change colours dramatically in low light settings.

a.

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
For what its worth

I'm a filmmaker, and I prefer Kodak film over Fuji

but even moreso, I prefer Digital over all film lately

.....yeah, that was useless to post, but I wanted to brag a little ;)

Cheese

macrumors 6502
O.K. Two iPods walk into a bar....
and one orders the drinks. The first iPod has a beige screen and when it takes a sip of the drink it immediately turns blue and falls over. The iPod that ordered the drinks looks into the first iPods glass and, seeing a thumbtack asks the bartender where the other thumbtack went.....

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
Yeah, if you look at your iPod (Mines 10gb) you can see that direct straight angle view of the screen the backlight is white.

From an angle it does indeed look blue.

KLFloyd

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Gainesville, FL
New Evidence of 2 iPods Out There?

Here we go again...Following on last week's story about the possibility of two different models of the new 3rd Generation iPods, there is again discussion about this going on in the Apple User Forums.

Honestly, I think I'm starting to believe there are two versions of the iPod out there.

Here are the links to the discussions:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@63.kkkcap6hmTl.1439074@.3bc32f79

and

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@63.kkkcap6hmTl.1439078@.3bc2d6c7

tribalogical

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2003
tokyo, japan
just got my new 15Gb iPod a couple of days ago.

It's my first, so nothing to compare it to, other than a friend's older 5Gb...

my screen, indoors or out, under flourescent or 'regular' lights, whether light or (mostly) dark, is "white"...

turn on the backlight (same varied conditions) it is distinctly blue-tinted. Not *blue* like that photo above, but, uh, blue-ish? Definitely headed in that direction anyway...

Definitely blue. It is somewhat different than the white screen I remember from my friend's 5Gb version.

Is it BETTER? Well, I don't know... It came out of the box with the contrast set to about 40%, but the screen was quite dark. To get a reasonable balance (and the LCD "shadows" out), I have to lower contrast to about 5%... meaning it's almost off altogether.

It's my first iPod, and I'm deeply impressed, regardless of whether it's supposed to be blue or not. So far it all seems to be working properly...

Any way to tell if it's a "version 2" iPod?

I bought here in Tokyo last Saturday...

tribalogical

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.