Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
2) The hardware. I switched to the HTC One S because I wanted to have a bigger screen and the HOS is made out of an aluminum unibody. But the build quality just is not there. Reception sucks. Battery on the iphone is much better than on the HTC One S. There are seams and holes everywhere where dust builds up. Cheap use of plastics even though it has an aluminum unibody. The screen of the iphone is much sharper. Although its smaller, I still get more real estate when web browsing compared to the HOS.

The One S clearly has an inferior screen compared to the 4/4S. This was noted in several reviews I read. So complaining about such a thing after choosing to purchase the One S is pretty ridiculous. If you wanted a sharp screen, the One X was the obvious choice.

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
I love hearing from people that like to claim they know what's in the Android Marketplace aka Google Play, when they have never used an Android phone to know and if they have, it was "several years ago".

Every app I had on my iPhone 4, I have on my Galaxy S2 and now S3, save for one and that was a niche app for the medical field. Twitter, tweetbot aka tweetcaster, facebook, photo transfer app, whats app, flighttracker and every major airline, tasks (similar to clear but better integrated with google), PS Touch and express, youtube, netflix, imdb, i.tv, paypal, ebay, amazon, target, dropbox, sugarsync, g drive, tapatalk, pandora, and every major game (max payne, gta 3, angry birds, etc). I would have to list another hundred apps I have. Point is, these apps are identical or 99% identical to iOS apps. And I would know, since I use both OS's every single day, and cnstantly checking and updating from both app stores, plus cydia. Peace.

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Meh. I have an android phone and an iPad and use both ios and android every day. I can find 99% of the apps on both platforms and they virtually look and work the same.

sure after instapaper has been out for 4 years on iOS :p and just a few weeks ago hit android "play store" or whatever they keep changing that name to

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
sure after instapaper has been out for 4 years on iOS :p and just a few weeks ago hit android "play store" or whatever they keep changing that name to

And it took Apple 4 years to steal the Notification Center and even longer to get turn by turn navigation. Instapaper? Really? That's all you could come up with? An app most people don't care about. Weak.

----------

Yeah right:D

Yeah, true.

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
And it took Apple 4 years to steal the Notification Center and even longer to get turn by turn navigation. Instapaper? Really? That's all you could come up with? An app most people don't care about. Weak.

----------

Yeah, true.

Thats not the only thing, just comparing. everything gets put on app store first before it hits android market. And I care about instapaper, Use it everyday.

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
Thats not the only thing, just comparing. everything gets put on app store first before it hits android market. And I care about instapaper, Use it everyday.

Not everything gets put on app store first, but a lot of apps do. What I am saying is that every main stream app is in the Android marketplace.

Gromet

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2007
To the OP,

Do you really believe the apps like Angry Bird does not collect the exact same information from your iPhone that it does on an android device? If you honestly believe it does not, I can guarantee you that you are mistaken.

I moved from an iPhone 4S to Android months ago. From what I have seen from iOS 6 I won't be going back to iOS any time soon. Android it years ahead of iOS. 99% of the new features you are getting in iOS 6 have been available on Android since 4.0 even some as far back as 2.3... LOL,

I love the ohhs and ahhhs at the iOS Keynote when Apple spoon feeds iOS users a feature they should have had years ago. Or when they make it like they invented some new magical feature that has been available on other OS's for years.

..Gromet

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Had RIM, Android, Palm, other and iPhone devices. I have to say, I will never leave AT&T and my iPhone, they work just the way I need them to, I minimize my exposure of apps polling the internet etc by shutting down locations and notifications, and only keep the apps I use on a daily basis, 38 to be exact including the stock apps.

I have had no trouble with AT&T and I have had an iPhone since the 3G, so not new to them, my sons and wife had BB and Android. Clearly I had less issues then they did, and for that, my phone is an important devices to my everyday life, even using my company's exchange email on the iPhone is great without the need to buy a newer app for exchange.

It just works and for that, I love my iPhone...:rolleyes:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
If you're going to quote the super-expensive price of the unlocked iPhone that 99.99% of people will never consider buying, you could at least mention that. :D

Nice to see that Orange offers several plans with the iPhone 4s is free (which you never see in the US), and seven other plans where the iPhone 4s is significantly less than US$199, which is about the cheapest you'll ever see it on this side of the pond.

Regardless the premium iPhone is more expensive then a premium android phone. Whether the carrier is paying for it or the consumer is.

Of course I read apple has a 40% profit margin on the iPhone which is a bit of a rip off on something so readily available that requires no labor after the fact....

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Regardless the premium iPhone is more expensive then a premium android phone.
AT&T:
$199 = iPhone 4S
$199 = HTC One
$199 = Galaxy S III

Verizon:
$199 = iPhone 4S
$299 = Droid RAZR MAXX
$199 = Galaxy S III

Sprint:
$199 = iPhone 4S
$199 = HTC Evo
$199 = Galaxy S III

There are lesser expensive Android phones out there, but I don't think many folks would call them out as "current" Premium models.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
I love hearing from people that like to claim they know what's in the Android Marketplace aka Google Play, when they have never used an Android phone to know and if they have, it was "several years ago".

Every app I had on my iPhone 4, I have on my Galaxy S2 and now S3, save for one and that was a niche app for the medical field. Twitter, tweetbot aka tweetcaster, facebook, photo transfer app, whats app, flighttracker and every major airline, tasks (similar to clear but better integrated with google), PS Touch and express, youtube, netflix, imdb, i.tv, paypal, ebay, amazon, target, dropbox, sugarsync, g drive, tapatalk, pandora, and every major game (max payne, gta 3, angry birds, etc). I would have to list another hundred apps I have. Point is, these apps are identical or 99% identical to iOS apps. And I would know, since I use both OS's every single day, and cnstantly checking and updating from both app stores, plus cydia. Peace.

The last time I compared apps with an Android user who jihad the Rezound, he indeed had many of the same apps I did. He had no alternative for many of my favorite games, my photography or video apps, and a bunch of my favorite niche apps, but as you said he did have many of the mainstream apps.

However, as soon as I said, "Oh cool, you have that app too, let's open it on both phones and see how it compares." he ran into problems.

In some cases the app just didn't open. It immediately force closed.

In other cases, the app opened, but didn't have all of the features.

In other cases, the app opened, but the formatting was way off, and the app just didn't look good.

In other cases (Real Racing 2 notably), the app seemed to run perfectly, but would randomly freeze for 5 seconds every minute or so.

In other cases, (Grand Theft Auto 3 notably) the app ran, but had frame rate issues.

In other cases, he opened the app, but it apparently didn't finish installing and started downloading the rest of the app. Unfortunately, he was running out of space on his internal drive, and had to mess with some "install this app to my external disk" app, but didn't want to take the time.

I asked him if he could get a specific app I had, and he said he could, but he'd have to go inside and mess with some config files to get it to install.

So sure, if we were comparing a checklist of apps, he would have checked the majority of mainstream apps I have, but that doesn't tell the full story.

superdudeo

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2010
If you're going to quote the super-expensive price of the unlocked iPhone that 99.99% of people will never consider buying, you could at least mention that. :D

Nice to see that Orange offers several plans with the iPhone 4s is free (which you never see in the US), and seven other plans where the iPhone 4s is significantly less than US$199, which is about the cheapest you'll ever see it on this side of the pond.

What? You think you're actually paying $200 for the phone? Over the course of your - most likely - 2 year contract, you'll be paying around $1000 for it. You're the mug, not the people who pay for it unlocked.

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
i can't really see why anyone would switch from a 4S to an android phone.

i could see going from a 3GS to a new android device or even a 4, just to give the platform a try... but an iPhone 4S to any android phone at the moment... even the brand new one, is going to be about a lateral move.

I do believe that most who switch just want a screen larger than the current iPhone's screen. Screen size may not be an issue for you, but many do just want a larger screened device. That in itself was enough to get me to try Android, and after 4 months now on my Galaxy Note, I no longer see any advantage to IOS and the iPhone. I do sometimes miss the smaller size of the iPhone when I need a device small enough to be pocketed comfortably, but for the day to day things I use the phone for, the larger screen suits my needs. I'm sure each point I made could be refuted by someone who prefers an Apple iPhone. It is great to have choices. Competition is good.

If Apple made an iPhone with a 4.3" screen or larger, I would be back, but I doubt they will.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
The last time I compared apps with an Android user who jihad the Rezound, he indeed had many of the same apps I did. He had no alternative for many of my favorite games, my photography or video apps, and a bunch of my favorite niche apps, but as you said he did have many of the mainstream apps.

However, as soon as I said, "Oh cool, you have that app too, let's open it on both phones and see how it compares." he ran into problems.

In some cases the app just didn't open. It immediately force closed.

In other cases, the app opened, but didn't have all of the features.

In other cases, the app opened, but the formatting was way off, and the app just didn't look good.

In other cases (Real Racing 2 notably), the app seemed to run perfectly, but would randomly freeze for 5 seconds every minute or so.

In other cases, (Grand Theft Auto 3 notably) the app ran, but had frame rate issues.

In other cases, he opened the app, but it apparently didn't finish installing and started downloading the rest of the app. Unfortunately, he was running out of space on his internal drive, and had to mess with some "install this app to my external disk" app, but didn't want to take the time.

I asked him if he could get a specific app I had, and he said he could, but he'd have to go inside and mess with some config files to get it to install.

So sure, if we were comparing a checklist of apps, he would have checked the majority of mainstream apps I have, but that doesn't tell the full story.
I've had this phone for almost 10 months and only had 1 force close which was Facebook, and Chrome beta the other day froze but I had a ton of tabs open doing different things and looks like a site itself had an error that caused it no different then a site causing hanging on a computer browser, but it restarted and reloaded all my tabs for me. No problems with games either that seem to cause issues on other devices for whatever reason. maybe it's just this phone???, I've always said the i777 felt the most sorted and smooth to me, and with the custom ICS Rom now it's insane especially with the crazy good battery life. I've always had safari crashing on the iphones like a mofo, springboard crashing (actually moreso non-jailbroken than jailbroken go figure), app's crashing and freezing, random lags when typing through out a day etc. About 80% of my employee's have iPhones either provided through my business account b/c of our discount, or their own and we transfer service. See plenty of issues there from crashing, freezing, glitches with exchange etc. The rest have Androids or Blackberries sure some issues here and there but not as much as the iPhones, and only 1 BB had to be replaced. With that said, I still hate BB with a passion and cannot stand their UI or much bragged about keyboard lol, the phones feel so outdated and clumsy to use, but oh well it's their choice ha.

Last edited:

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
What? You think you're actually paying $200 for the phone? Over the course of your - most likely - 2 year contract, you'll be paying around $1000 for it. You're the mug, not the people who pay for it unlocked.

But if you're paying the same per month as if you had got the phone on contract, like in the US, how are you paying more for the phone? I always consider buying unlocked but being in the US and not traveling to other countries, I don't see the point. Sure I could switch carriers when I want and upgrade when I want, but the main carriers in the US all suck and cost about the same in the end. And if a new phone comes out that I want then I'm just spending another $600+ on another unlocked phone. What's the difference between that and just paying the ETF and getting the new phone on contract?

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009

Just remember that people with poor self esteem are not a reliable source of information. Ignore them and all will be fine.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Since we all know that Android was the first cell phone in existence and Apple stole everything from it, right down to the phone keypad complete with numbers and letters on each button, can we move on, please?

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
Since we all know that Android was the first cell phone in existence and Apple stole everything from it, right down to the phone keypad complete with numbers and letters on each button, can we move on, please?

Awesome. :D :D :D

Dun Properly

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2011
My 4S hasn't even had a hiccup during the 6 months or so I have owned it. It has been flawless. The same certainly can't be said about my 2 previous Android phones (G1 and Galaxy S Vibrant).

This is why I will continue to purchases Apple phones.

Disclaimer: I don't own any other Apple products besides a few ipods.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I am disappointed. So much so that I am hungering for an iphone.

1) Its not necessarily the software. Because android and many will agree with this is much more advanced than iOS 5 and 6. Many pro's have acknowledged that. I somewhat agree with that. Its easier to use, its customizable, better integrated with google services, best navigation in town, flexible, you are not stuck in an ecosystem where you'd have to abide by the rules, more secure than ios imo, kinetic scrolling makes it more fluid than ios (surprise! I said it).

But most apps just suck and there is hardly any choice for apps. On iphone I got tons of games, I'll never get bored. And there is just tons of other apps. You'll never have to worry about a service not being supported on your iphone cause every mother and all is developing for iOS. And the stuff in Google Play is just junk. 90% of the apps has ads, tracks my phone calls, my address book, wants full internet access. Thats just malware. Why does angry birds want to know who I am calling, for how long and who are in my contacts. They are just going to sell this data to third parties.

2) The hardware. I switched to the HTC One S because I wanted to have a bigger screen and the HOS is made out of an aluminum unibody. But the build quality just is not there. Reception sucks. Battery on the iphone is much better than on the HTC One S. There are seams and holes everywhere where dust builds up. Cheap use of plastics even though it has an aluminum unibody. The screen of the iphone is much sharper. Although its smaller, I still get more real estate when web browsing compared to the HOS.

I don't think you can blame the reception on the phone. It looks like you switched carriers to t mobile and they might have poor reception in your area. Poor reception drain battery much much faster on any phone. That explains those two problems. The real estate thing is because you using a 960x540 pentile display. If you had used the at&t one x you may have had a better experience.

----------

Android it years ahead of iOS. 99% of the new features you are getting in iOS 6 have been available on Android since 4.0 even some as far back as 2.3... LOL,

LOL most are from like version 1.0 and 1.6 lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.