Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
So you expect us to believe your Treo 700 running Magento could do everything an Android phone running Donut could do? LMAO :rolleyes:

Hey, maybe I'm wrong, but all the features discussed here (attaching files to emails, turn by turn directions, multi-tasking, task manager, widgets, custom home screen, lock screen notifications, custom ROMs, call blocking, tethering, streaming music while getting turn by turn directions and attaching a song to an email from my external memory card...etc, I was doing in 2005 on my HTC Apache, sold as the PPC-6700 on Sprint.

It even had flash and let me download YouTube videos directly to the device :)

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
Not everyone buys their phone on a contract...

I would say the vast majority do though. That and the plans are the same price if you buy subsidized or unsubsidized. I'm not going to dump the service, so I might as well get a nice price cut on the phone. I could go prepaid, but my AT&T service has been good so far so i'm sticking with them.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I would say the vast majority do though. That and the plans are the same price if you buy subsidized or unsubsidized. I'm not going to dump the service, so I might as well get a nice price cut on the phone. I could go prepaid, but my AT&T service has been good so far so i'm sticking with them.

The vast majority in the USA... It's A bit different overseas tho

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Hey, maybe I'm wrong, but all the features discussed here (attaching files to emails, turn by turn directions, multi-tasking, task manager, widgets, custom home screen, lock screen notifications, custom ROMs, call blocking, tethering, streaming music while getting turn by turn directions and attaching a song to an email from my external memory card...etc, I was doing in 2005 on my HTC Apache, sold as the PPC-6700 on Sprint.

It even had flash and let me download YouTube videos directly to the device :)

Yup, that was back when non touch screen phones running WM were called smartphones and touch screen phones were called pocket pcs. The Treo 750 and Imate SP-5 were my two favorites. And when I say they did everything, they did everything. With the exception of gaming like today's phones.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
What? You think you're actually paying $200 for the phone?
FWIW, at least if you're on a major carrier that sells iPhones in the US, the answer is "yes". They don't give discounts on monthly service to customers that paid full price for unlocked devices.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
OP: I felt the same way when I went from the 4S to an Epic 4G Touch (Sprint's GS2) and then back to my current 4S a month later. Not sure what I was thinking then...

...and the thing is I had two Android phones before the iPhone...

I went from a iPhone 4 to the Epic Touch 4G and I've really haven't been happy with it until I just recently flashed the ROM with the leaked near complete version of ICS that Sprint is going to release to users. It's like a completely new phone. It's way more smooth and reliable. I like it a lot more now and may not switch back to the iPhone 5 as I planned, especially if Apple is actually going to release a phone that's just taller for some insane reason.

i can't really see why anyone would switch from a 4S to an android phone.

i could see going from a 3GS to a new android device or even a 4, just to give the platform a try... but an iPhone 4S to any android phone at the moment... even the brand new one, is going to be about a lateral move.

Perhaps they're tired of using a phone with such a dinky washed out screen?
That's why I switched.

Last edited:

bt2184

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2011
I've tried Android now with my work phone, GSII and I much prefer my 4S. I even un-jail broke my iPhone and still like it better. Screen responds better, the OS is smoother and renders things properly. Emails on the Galaxy don't fit on the screen and slide about badly when I try to see it all.

If there was no iPhone then Android would be incredible. The Galaxy has ICS and I can't see the fuss. The settings are very basic compared to IOS.

The best thing about Android is the Swype text input. That does work really well.

You should give swift key a try, blows Swype out of the water.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I went from a iPhone 4 to the Epic Touch 4G and I've really haven't been happy with it until I just recently flashed the ROM with the leaked near complete version of ICS that Sprint is going to release to users. It's like a completely new phone. It's way more smooth and reliable. I like it a lot more now and may not switch back to the iPhone 5 as I planned, especially if Apple is actually going to release a phone that's just taller for some insane reason.

I did the same thing as well. I loaded each leak up until the first few FE builds at which point I switched back to the 4S. I can say I liked the experience a lot more than EL29, but I just felt iOS was for me more.

----------

Perhaps they're tired of using a phone with such a dinky washed out screen?
That's why I switched.

I wouldn't say it's washed out, but rather the colors are less pronounced when compared to a Super AMOLED display.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
I did the same thing as well. I loaded each leak up until the first few FE builds at which point I switched back to the 4S. I can say I liked the experience a lot more than EL29, but I just felt iOS was for me more.

----------

I wouldn't say it's washed out, but rather the colors are less pronounced when compared to a Super AMOLED display.

Well, I can't comment on the first few leaked builds as I was afraid to try them. The one I installed was one that just came out that is supposed to be pretty much what Samsung is going to release soon. It's rock solid and I like it a lot.

As far as the iPhone screen issue. After I used the Epic touch foe a week or so and then used one of my friends iPhones, that was my first thought. "This screen looks so dinky and washed out".

I may still come back to the iPhone if the next version is worth it. If Apple ends up actually just making the phone taller, I will probably pass. What a stupid idea. :rolleyes:

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
Meh. I have an android phone and an iPad and use both ios and android every day. I can find 99% of the apps on both platforms and they virtually look and work the same.

This is my experience, too. For my purposes, google play has all the apps I need and they work fine for me.

You should give swift key a try, blows Swype out of the water.

Swift key is the number one reason why I will not switch to iPhone. I just will not take the time to type out every word when Swift Key will write 70% for me on my android. The second reason is the screen size, I like my mobile screen to be slightly bigger. If I could have those two things in an iPhone, I'd consider switching.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.