Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VirtuallyInsane

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2018
Probably, IDK. I did try HALO with it and it was fine. Didn't play much on it though. I don't really use my computers for games and the horsepower I seek in any type of hardware is usually just so I can use graphic design/word processing apps and internet browsing.

When I was a teen and in to my 20s I could get lost in game play. Get started, look up and find out that my weekend is almost over. That was fine when nothing really mattered. I could get lost in the world I was in. School or my job was incidental - I had plenty of time.

Later on and up to now, I have jobs, a family and responsibilities. That isn't to say I don't find time for the things I like, but I hate getting lost in something and then either having to cut it short or finding out that I spent all my time on one specific thing.

That's cool. And yeah, same. I have a Lenovo for gaming if I want to do that. I have only played Sims 4 on my iMac and it works alright. I don't really game much myself nowadays. And yeah, when circumstances change, your priorities shift as well. Yeah, I get annoyed if I spend all my time on one thing as well.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
So, Loyal Coffee.

View attachment 2137266

I'd have to say, based on the third try, that this is a good cafeteria coffee. That is not a criticism, because there are some very good cafeteria coffee's out there (Douwe Egberts for one), but it does not rise to a level of really good coffee for me.

Perhaps that is because it's roasted and served at a much higher elevation, IDK. Possibly it's down to the fact that the House Blend is a medium roast and my preference is for dark roasts. Again, I do not know. It's not bad - its just not the really good I was expecting.

But you never know unless you try. And one day, if I happen to be in Colorado Springs, I might drop in and try one of their espresso based drinks.

But for now, it would seem we are done, as they do not seem to have a darker roast on their site to try.

Loyal in a cup, next to an early Intel Mac. :)

2023-01-22 09.05.43.jpg

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
When bad coffee goes horrible?

If you've read this far, you know that our daily coffee during the week is Death Wish. But on the weekends we chose something else. For the past couple of months I have been slowly brewing what we have on hand in order to get rid of the old stuff. Most of that is stuff we bought to try and ultimately did not care for, or stuff that we've acquired somehow or has simply been hanging around. The intent is that once we're done with all this old stuff, we buy the new stuff we do like.

I supplement this with the Keurig and only buy pods of coffee we do like. This is fairly easy to do as even now, not every blend of coffee comes in a K-Cup. I'm not into suffering and pain so there has to be something we actually enjoy in the house.

I finally got around to this cannister this morning. This stuff has been around for years. I have no idea when my wife got it (because she got it, not me) nor how long it's been sitting. But by the smell alone, it wasn't going to be good.

2023-02-04 08.02.22-1.jpg

I couldn't get past one small sip - even with cream and sugar. The entire brewed pot got poured down the drain and the rest of this stuff went right in the garbage.

Fortunately, that was last of all this. I can now go off and buy some beans that we actually like.

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
When bad coffee goes horrible?

If you've read this far, you know that our daily coffee during the week is Death Wish. But on the weekends we chose something else. For the past couple of months I have been slowly brewing what we have on hand in order to get rid of the old stuff. Most of that is stuff we bought to try and ultimately did not care for, or stuff that we've acquired somehow or has simply been hanging around. The intent is that once we're done with all this old stuff, we buy the new stuff we do like.

I supplement this with the Keurig and only buy pods of coffee we do like. This is fairly easy to do as even now, not every blend of coffee comes in a K-Cup. I'm not into suffering and pain so there has to be something we actually enjoy in the house.

I finally got around to this cannister this morning. This stuff has been around for years. I have no idea when my wife got it (because she got it, not me) nor how long it's been sitting. But by the smell alone, it wasn't going to be good.

View attachment 2153471

I couldn't get past one small sip - even with cream and sugar. The entire brewed pot got poured down the drain and the rest of this stuff went right in the garbage.

Fortunately, that was last of all this. I can now go off and buy some beans that we actually like.
Bad coffee is the worst. I hear that move. It's absolutely not worth anyones time to drink through what they find offensive. Anytime i get into some coffee I don't like, it goes straight into the garden/flowerpot soil. Like you, I stick to what I & the better half like so rarely run into that anymore.

Of course, when I was younger and funds were tighter, I would often gamble with sale coffees I ran into. Usually I was ok but occasionally I'd get into some real nasty stuff and then of course regret the purchase/wasted money. WOOF!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Bad coffee is the worst. I hear that move. It's absolutely not worth anyones time to drink through what they find offensive. Anytime i get into some coffee I don't like, it goes straight into the garden/flowerpot soil. Like you, I stick to what I & the better half like so rarely run into that anymore.

Of course, when I was younger and funds were tighter, I would often gamble with sale coffees I ran into. Usually I was ok but occasionally I'd get into some real nasty stuff and then of course regret the purchase/wasted money. WOOF!
We like to try new coffee just because you never know. Death Wish Coffee became our weekday morning coffee because we tried it. But you win some and lose some. At the worst, we know what NOT to drink when out buying.

Once, we were between paychecks, had no coffee and little money. So, we took a shot on Cafe Combate, which we found at the Latino grocery store we were at. It was cheap - and advertised as the coffee the Mexican military uses. No idea how true that is.

cafe combate.jpg

Horrible, but it had caffeine in it - as much as ground up twigs and rocks will have caffeine I guess. :D

VirtuallyInsane

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2018

Yeah, I ordered Quokka coffee to try it once off Amazon because it was a good price, and I had half a cup and decided that enough was enough. I just abandoned it. But I'd never put it in the soil, the soil already suffers enough :p And yeah, sticking to what you like is good. At least you can budget for that too.

Once, we were between paychecks, had no coffee and little money. So, we took a shot on Cafe Combate, which we found at the Latino grocery store we were at. It was cheap - and advertised as the coffee the Mexican military uses. No idea how true that is.

cafe combate.jpg

Horrible, but it had caffeine in it - as much as ground up twigs and rocks will have caffeine I guess. :D

I read the label, and it says it has sugar with it so I already winced at it, lol. But sometimes you have to take a shot (no pun intended) at a coffee like that to see if it's feasible. Sometimes, cheap coffee surprises you. Other times, it is total crap. I tried this cheap Polish coffee once and it was nice, but it was like a caramel macchiato mix or something. I don't know if they still sell it here anymore. I should check sometime.

WriteNow

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2021
I just finished reading Mrs McGinty's Dead (by Agatha Christie). In one spot, Hercule Poirot is ranting about the place where he is staying, which includes a comment about the coffee all of you might like:

"...the coffee--words cannot describe to you the fluid which they serve to you as coffee. It is an affront to the stomach."​

This coffee sounds like coffee served so many places!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Thought I'd pull this out today…hasn't been used in quite a long time. Single cup coffeemaker, bought at K-Mart in Banning, CA circa 1999.

Starbucks Sumatra.

That's a permanent filter in there, makes it easy to use. Just wash it out when done.

2023-02-17 16.20.12.jpg 2023-02-17 16.23.17.jpg 2023-02-17 16.25.20.jpg

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
heck - I didn't know black and decker made such a thing?!
Have you tried diluted white vinegar for cleaning? Does a great job on my coffee maker.

As a kid my Ma had a coffee percolator shaped like a big two handled sports cup of stainless steel and a wee tap on the front. Could watch coffee popping up within the glass knob on the top. Whole house would smell of coffee.

Aha!! Them were the days!!!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Have you tried diluted white vinegar for cleaning? Does a great job on my coffee maker.
It's used so rarely that I've just never gotten around to that.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.

As a kid my Ma had a coffee percolator shaped like a big two handled sports cup of stainless steel and a wee tap on the front. Could watch coffee popping up within the glass knob on the top. Whole house would smell of coffee.

Aha!! Them were the days!!!

Funny how smells will bring back entire emotions and memories. Like memories of dad doing coffee before he left for the military base he was stationed at. He filled the whole house with coffee smell, and when mom made pancakes, or waffles, the two smells would seem to merge together and none of us could ever sleep through that. Throw in some bacon, and we all came running. The sun seemed brighter, the coffee seemed richer, Ah, Them were the days for sure.

I remember, thought it was B&D, or Dewalt, Bosch?, made an orange colored 'workshop' edition coffee maker. Back when orange meant garage, etc. There was even an orange microwave too. :rolleyes:

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Funny how smells will bring back entire emotions and memories. Like memories of dad doing coffee before he left for the military base he was stationed at. He filled the whole house with coffee smell, and when mom made pancakes, or waffles, the two smells would seem to merge together and none of us could ever sleep through that. Throw in some bacon, and we all came running. The sun seemed brighter, the coffee seemed richer, Ah, Them were the days for sure.

I remember, thought it was B&D, or Dewalt, Bosch?, made an orange colored 'workshop' edition coffee maker. Back when orange meant garage, etc. There was even an orange microwave too. :rolleyes:
Lol..every garage (and man cave) should have those!!!

• Haha
Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
..actually eyo, I do admire your tidy work surface..mines cluttered up to heck!!
I guess that's subjective because there are times where the word 'tidy' does NOT apply!

This is only about a week after redoing things and I'm trying to force myself to not just dump everything on the desk. :rolleyes:

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
I guess that's subjective because there are times where the word 'tidy' does NOT apply!

This is only about a week after redoing things and I'm trying to force myself to not just dump everything on the desk. :rolleyes:
Well in that case, I'll say I'm impressed with the surface area you have to clutter up...envious even!!!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Well in that case, I'll say I'm impressed with the surface area you have to clutter up...envious even!!!
I cheated adapted. :D

Desks that are as large as I want are either very expensive or custom made, which is even more expensive. My 'desk' is a $300 dining room table from American Furniture Warehouse. I found the largest table on their showroom floor that wasn't $800-1000 and got that. There might have been a few that were larger, but they had large center supports. I needed a table that had a center support I could reach through and that would allow my legs through (like a normal desk).

Saved a ton of money I didn't have by just getting a table. Incidentally, none of the actual desks on AFW's showroom floor were anywhere close to the dimensions I was looking at. And while some were larger than the average computer desk, they were around $1500. :(

Thanks for the compliments!

Last edited:

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
I cheated adapted. :D

Desks that are as large as I want are either very expensive or custom made, which is even more expensive. My 'desk' is a $300 dining room table from American Furniture Warehouse. I found the largest table on their showroom floor that wasn't $800-1000 and got that. There might have been a few that were larger, but they had large center supports. I needed a table that had a center support I could reach through and that would allow my legs through (like a normal desk).

Saved a ton of money I didn't have by just getting a table. Incidentally, none of the actual desks on AFW's showroom floor were anywhere close to the dimensions I was looking at. And while some were larger than the average computer desk, they were around $1500. :(

Thanks for the compliments!
Oh..and good luck with that self discipline thing of not dumping stuff on there...that big clear surface is just begging for exactly that.

VirtuallyInsane

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2018
@eyoungren - It's a very nice dining table, unlike my cheap, plastic table like my PowerPC one is. I must have been taking the 'plastic fantastic' theme too literally lol. It must be a good sturdy table to take all the weight of your monitors as well. I wouldn't have guessed it was a showroom dining table for sure.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
@eyoungren - It's a very nice dining table, unlike my cheap, plastic table like my PowerPC one is. I must have been taking the 'plastic fantastic' theme too literally lol. It must be a good sturdy table to take all the weight of your monitors as well. I wouldn't have guessed it was a showroom dining table for sure.
Thank you, I like it. It's got the right dimensions and it's much sturdier than it looks based on the pictures. I can stand on it without any problems. The top is MDF with a veneer, but for $300 you aren't getting solid wood. :D And it looks pretty good.

Compare to the desk on the right where the Macs and the printer are. That stand in the middle is not part of the desk, but something I grabbed off the patio so the desk itself would have support in the middle (because of the MP). That desk also has a larger MDF board on top of it. But THAT was my main desk from 1984 to 2021. Yeah, I was 13 when my parents bought that for my Commodore 64. :D

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Lol..every garage (and man cave) should have those!!!

I have to say that I DID look for the orange micro, and it was either withdrawn/sold out. It was a 'larger small box', and had better controls as I remember. *shrug* Yeah, every garage workshop needs more orange. Mine actually has none. I missed the 'you must have orange' memo.

I did see Vornado fans that are orange, and expensive. $80 for a 10" fan? Oh, an 8 foot cord (or was it 6 foot?), well that makes all the difference... :rolleyes:

Reactions: mortlocli

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
..wonder where all those 'missed' memos go?
I must have a warehouse full of them somewhere.

Hey - orange is better living!!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Another Saturday morning Mac (MacPro 5,1) and coffee post!

Dunkin' Midnight (dark roast) in my Dunkin' coffee mug. :)

2023-05-06 07.34.29.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.