Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Let's play "Will it fit?!"

IMG_0585.jpeg IMG_0584.jpeg

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Finished.

2024-03-24 00.16.32.jpg 2024-03-24 00.16.55.jpg

That took 14 hours and 20 minutes to complete. That included the help of my 20yr old son.

In the process I seem to have lost either the KVM or the power supply for it. Going to try replacing the power supply first. In the mean time I will have to manually swap my two displays until I can get this working again or replaced.

@Amethyst1 The LG display is reporting a resolution of 2160x4096.

Screen Shot 2024-03-24 at 00.23.10.jpg

It definetly has a blue cast and I cannot seem to get rid of it. That's fine. I was intending to use it for Finder windows only. And I will leverage the blue tint by using blue backgrounds.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Looks amazing! What's it like running a vertical display in the center instead of having one or more horizontal displays at the center?

Also, do you feel like you're in mission control? ;)
I'm using the center vertical display for drives and some Finder Windows. It's also going to have the palettes from my apps (Photoshop, Indesign, etc) so those are front and center. That's going to allow me to finally work two documents at full stize without palette interference on the 30" displays. We'll see how it works out.

My wife already referred to it as Mission Control long before this so I'm just adding to it, ;)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I visited my local Starbucks this morning. This shop is not the one closest to me anymore (the one closest is a former Kentucky Fried Chicken), but it is the one I started taking my kids to when they were little. It's kind of sad, because that SB shop no longer exists. It was replaced with a remodel some years back and again in early 2024. I've been in there a few times since February when they reopened, but I'm just now mentioning it.

The new shop is largely built around to go orders. You can go in and place an order, but if you want to drink it there you are standing. They are using 2/3rds of the seating space they had previously (plus the bathrooms) for operating space. So, it's a small entrance area now. This store (99th Ave and Camelback) largely serves traffic off the 101 freeway, apartment residents nearby and traffic for the Cardinals stadium. They also get traffic from Camelback Ranch down the street (where Scooter's Coffee is set to open). Camelback Ranch is the spring training stadium for the LA Dodgers.

So, all the way around they see heavy traffic because the street itself sees heavy traffic. I understand why they basically said 'screw it' and redid the store to cater largely to drive-thru and pickup. They still have outside seating, but you aren't using that from late May to early October!

I'm glad I still have pictures and I'm glad I made friends with the baristas there during the time we frequented the place. But that chapter is now solidly closed.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
In the process I seem to have lost either the KVM or the power supply for it. Going to try replacing the power supply first. In the mean time I will have to manually swap my two displays until I can get this working again or replaced.
Just quoting myself to follow up on this. So, I ordered an adapter which was too big of course. To account for that possibility I also ordered a backup switch (same brand and model). I did that based on the fact that the seller was including the power adapter. I was not surprised when the box did not include the power adapter.

So, I contacted the seller and they found the adapter and shipped it. I'm still waiting for it. In the meantime, I ordered a different adapter because apparently I'd done this before. Same vendor. This one works. It seems then, that I broke the power adapter itself when moving stuff around.

Took some time today and reset the KVM up. This time around I included the keyboard/mouse!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
This time around, a case of three of my favorite things…

MacPro, coffee and RPGs. The Homeworld RPG hardcover book I ordered yesterday has arrived.

2024-04-15 14.02.30.jpg 2024-04-15 14.01.15.jpg

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
About 28 years separate this coffee mug and Mac…

2024-05-03 03.31.54.jpg

My oldest coffee mug, purchased by my parents for me at Knott's Berry Farm in 1982. It had my name on it (spelled correctly) and that's the only reason I wanted it. Actually liking coffee came much later.

It was really hard finding anything that spelled my name with a 'k' on it in the 80s.

Last edited:

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
About 28 years separate this coffee mug and Mac…

View attachment 2374134

My oldest coffee mug, purchased by my parents for me at Knott's Berry Farm in 1982. It had my name on it (spelled correctly) and that's the only reason I wanted it. Actually liking coffee came much later.

It was really hard finding anything that spelled my name with a 'k' on it in the 80s.
I have an old 70s Deka Disneyland plastic mug that Ive had forver. I kept pens and now colored pencils in it, so am weary of actually drinking anything out of it now LOL. We as a family never went to Disgneyland, so I dont know exactly where it came from, but it was my brothers and has been with me for 30+ years now.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I have an old 70s Deka Disneyland plastic mug that Ive had forver. I kept pens and now colored pencils in it, so am weary of actually drinking anything out of it now LOL. We as a family never went to Disgneyland, so I dont know exactly where it came from, but it was my brothers and has been with me for 30+ years now.
This mug…

2024-05-03 06.14.58.jpg

…shows my love for Rolemaster, an RPG I got involved in in 1994 and have loved since. I tracked down this mug and bought it from whatever vendor was selling it. Took it to work and the office klutz (a narcissistic ad rep) who cared more for herself than my personal space knocked the handle off. I was so mad.

It too has filled the role you describe, pens, pencils, and so on. Sigh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.