Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Also, what constitutes a standard measure of sugar? A teaspoon? A lump/cube? A mechanized pump? (I’m looking at you, TIm Hortons!)

Wow, annoying (and, as you note, presumptuous!)
Yes and yes.

When DB started getting big around here we decided to try it. Got our coffee and I looked around but could not see any sugar. So I asked, which is when I got the surprise that I'd even use sugar and then how many. As in how many sugar packets. I was asking for packets so I could put them in myself. But they were like, "No, we'll do it".

Fine, you do that. And that's the first and last time we ever went to Dutch Brothers. Their coffee is not so great I will suffer that.

Reactions: B S Magnet
This exact model actually exists...it's called "Japan". I travel there multiple times a year with my wife who's Japanese and everything that you just described is exactly that country.

Yes! An excellent example.

I visited Tokyo in 2004. From the vantage of a baby urbanist, it was an invaluable experience and it shaped part of my core values on what a lively, hyper-local cities-within-a-major-city needs.

One of my favourite lessons from Tokyo: the best eateries — soba, tempura, ramen counters, izikayas, etc. — are found, modestly, on laneways and on quiet side-streets, out of view from garish, touristy haunts along principal arterials (i.e., Harajuku, Shinjuku, Tsutaya, etc.). Their signs are, equally, modest. That was fascinating to learn (and also incredibly delicious).

Also fascinating: unbranded vending machines in public space — selling everything from Pocari Sweat to cigarettes (well, it was 2004) to KitKat to onigiri to condoms (the latter nearby love hotels, obviously).

I would love, with the education and experiences I’ve picked up since, to return someday for another visit. I’ll have so many notes to jot down.

Every time I go there, I HATE coming back to the States afterwards.

I cannot blame you.

Reactions: DouglasCarroll

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Remember that brief, infamous window during the early aughts when Coca-Cola re-positioned Tab — no, not Tab Clear — as an energy drink?
No, but I'm not surprised. I DO remember when Coke killed it though.

A staple of my childhood. I'd go over to visit the kid next door and all he had for soda was Tab because his mom was dieting. I learned to like it. :D

A staple of my childhood. I'd go over to visit the kid next door and all he had for soda was Tab because his mom was dieting. I learned to like it. :D

Sharing another hot take: saccharine tastes better than aspartame.

Although I know some people really enjoy that uniquely chemical aftertaste of aspartame/nutrasweet, I was never among that lot. All of the carbonated beverages to make that switch by the late ’80s were beverages I no longer wanted to drink.

These days, I can count on maybe two hands the number of cans/bottles of carbonated beverages I’ve consumed in probably the last three years — not including that time a friend who travelled to Wisconsin came back with a four-bottle pack of Sprecher root beer (which was, as expected, amazing).

Whereas your preference is for Tab, I have a soft spot for difficult-to-obtain regional (usually American) and altogether-discontinued root beers — especially Hires root beer.

I also have a thing for a trio of carbonated delights which are extremely seasonal and extremely hard to transport between cities. It’s a line of Québec root beer-adjacent offerings from a maker called Marco’s. They’re limited to February–April only because they source the flavourings from the trees directly; they’re hard to transport because they use old-fashioned swing-top lids (which leak when jostled carbonation tries to escape through the rubberized seal). They show up in smaller grocery stores, but only sparsely, and never in major supermarkets.

Marco’s trio of offerings: birch beer, maple beer, and spruce beer. (Spruce beer sounds bizarre, but it’s astonishingly good. The best ice cream float I’ve ever tasted was from a saved bottle opened early summer, poured over vanilla ice cream.)

Reactions: eyoungren

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I find I’m disinterested to spend up to six dollars for an average coffee (without a baked item), inside a place which looks like a staged home on a real estate listing; whose seating is really uncomfortable (ostensibly, to thwart itinerant customers and/or “campers” with their laptops as they “work from home-away-from-home”; and whose operating hours never extend into the evening, much less into late-night.

The UK variants of these global chains follow exactly the same model. Most of them close around 6pm. Whilst typing this reply I was surprised to discover that there's actually a few branches of these entities that remain open till 10pm.

On that very last bit, as an urbanist, I know why that’s the general pattern, but that’s a thesis I don’t wanna get into (especially after all the other wall-o’-texting I’ve committed on that other EIM thread). :rolleyes:

Again, I commend you for the level of persistence and perseverance that was displayed in that thread.

LOL! You'll have to ask my wife, the only 'diet' soda I have any affinity for is Tab and they don't make that anymore. :D

I had no idea! After seeing your post I did some browsing and learned that it had been discontinued in 2020. It was available here and I drank it a few times but I never saw it widely for sale unlike CC's other products.

This, was my introduction to Tab. To my knowledge, Pepsi Free has never made it our shores. :D

The UK variants of these global chains follow exactly the same model. Most of them close around 6pm. Whilst typing this reply I was surprised to discover that there's actually a few branches of these entities that remain open till 10pm.

The reasons for that phenomenon over there are related to the reasons for the phenom on this continent. :(

Again, I commend you for the level of persistence and perseverance that was displayed in that thread.

Not my finest hour. :|

This, was my introduction to Tab. To my knowledge, Pepsi Free has never made it our shores. :D

What I remember most about the short-lived Pepsi-Free was a) its comically bizarre use of a bold italic face for the brand mark (which looked nothing like a Pepsi product) and b) for the facepalm-worthy U.S. telly advert series riffing Sister Sledge’s “We Are Family” (one of many Bernie Edwards/Nile Rodgers masterpieces), as “We are Pepsi-Free!”

At least, I hope, Bernie and Nile got paid nicely for licensing that.

Last edited:

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
The reasons for that phenomenon over there are related to the reasons for the phenom on this continent. :(

Such is globalisation and cultural imperialism. :)

Not my finest hour. :|

On the contrary. I'd imagine that visitors to that thread who value intelligent discourse will find your rebuttals informative and insightful - as opposed to the sneering and derision that was offered by others.

What I remember most about the short-lived Pepsi-Free was a) its comically bizarre use of a bold italic face for the brand mark (which looked nothing like a Pepsi product) and b) for the facepalm-worthy U.S. telly advert series riffing Sister Sledge’s “We Are Family” (one of many Bernie Edwards/Nile Rodgers masterpieces), as “We are Pepsi-Free!”

Wow! I'd never seen/heard this before. The advertising agency might as well have hired Edwards & Rogers to record the session and do it justice. 😂

At least, I hope, Bernie and Nile got paid nicely for licensing that.

I'd love to see the songwriting and publishing credits for it! :D

Such is globalisation and cultural imperialism. :)

Inter alia!

On the contrary. I'd imagine that visitors to that thread who value intelligent discourse will find your rebuttals informative and insightful - as opposed to the sneering and derision that was offered by others.

Well, whatever the case, I was probably procrastinating. :p

As for snark from other fly-by-night posters, I should let it slide earlier by reminding myself how they don’t know what they don’t know. A big step forward would be to begin to know what they don’t know, but I doubt they‘ve gotten that far.

Wow! I'd never seen/heard this before. The advertising agency might as well have hired Edwards & Rogers to record the session and do it justice. 😂

That’s what happens when an ad agency pours bleach, hydrogen peroxide, whatever, on a vibrant song.

I'd love to see the songwriting and publishing credits for it! :D

Right there with you. :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Sharing another hot take: saccharine tastes better than aspartame.

Although I know some people really enjoy that uniquely chemical aftertaste of aspartame/nutrasweet, I was never among that lot. All of the carbonated beverages to make that switch by the late ’80s were beverages I no longer wanted to drink.

These days, I can count on maybe two hands the number of cans/bottles of carbonated beverages I’ve consumed in probably the last three years — not including that time a friend who travelled to Wisconsin came back with a four-bottle pack of Sprecher root beer (which was, as expected, amazing).

Whereas your preference is for Tab, I have a soft spot for difficult-to-obtain regional (usually American) and altogether-discontinued root beers — especially Hires root beer.

I also have a thing for a trio of carbonated delights which are extremely seasonal and extremely hard to transport between cities. It’s a line of Québec root beer-adjacent offerings from a maker called Marco’s. They’re limited to February–April only because they source the flavourings from the trees directly; they’re hard to transport because they use old-fashioned swing-top lids (which leak when jostled carbonation tries to escape through the rubberized seal). They show up in smaller grocery stores, but only sparsely, and never in major supermarkets.

Marco’s trio of offerings: birch beer, maple beer, and spruce beer. (Spruce beer sounds bizarre, but it’s astonishingly good. The best ice cream float I’ve ever tasted was from a saved bottle opened early summer, poured over vanilla ice cream.)
Alas, an experience in 2009 or so with a Schatzki ring and the endoscopy & dilation to suppress it pretty much eliminated my consumption of carbonated beverages. Alcohol in any form holds no power over me, I simply have no interest in it. But give me a two-liter bottle of Coke, Pepsi, RC or Jolt cola and you will find it empty very soon.

At the worst, I could devour a 24-can pack of soda within a day and a half. Now, this side of 50 (53) my body can barely tolerate one a day. So, I have turned to iced tea as my alternative and try not to think about or buy soda at all. When you get to the point that Coke or Pepsi begins to taste like cold medicine you know you crossed the line a while back. I now have what I feel is an intolerance for HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) and it will do me in now most of the time. One of the consequences of my years of soda addiction is the twice daily taking of 20mg of Omeprazol (Prilosec) which I have been on since 2009. Without it, I risk the acid from my stomach once again burning my throat and causing another Schatzki Ring. I'd rather not.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Alcohol in any form holds no power over me, I simply have no interest in it. But give me a two-liter bottle of Coke, Pepsi, RC or Jolt cola and you will find it empty very soon.

My situation is identical to yours but specifically confined to consuming 2ltr bottles of regular Pepsi - much to the chagrin of a best friend who is determined to steer me towards healthier choices. :D

One of the consequences of my years of soda addiction is the twice daily taking of 20mg of Omeprazol (Prilosec) which I have been on since 2009.

I also have to take Omeprazol - but due to other issues. People across the world often have more in common than they could ever fathom...

Alas, an experience in 2009 or so with a Schatzki ring and the endoscopy & dilation to suppress it pretty much eliminated my consumption of carbonated beverages. Alcohol in any form holds no power over me, I simply have no interest in it. But give me a two-liter bottle of Coke, Pepsi, RC or Jolt cola and you will find it empty very soon.

I had to look up “Schatzki ring”. Ick. That sounds very unpleasant.

(Incidentally, everything I listed, other than my gripe about the very existence of spiked Hires — which I refuse to touch — is all non-alcoholic.)

I grew up in the household of an (abusive) alcoholic. Surviving that taught me very early to not keep alcohol in my home. There are two, limited exceptions: if I host a supper and the guest brings a bottle of wine to pair with the meal I’m cooking, to be shared and consumed entirely with the meal; or, the one time in a year — typically on a provincial, federal, or American presidential election night — when I pick up a couple (as in, exactly two cans) of apple ciders on the day of. That’s it.

One holiday about a decade ago, I was gifted a bottle of single-malt whisky (one aged as old as a teenager). That was… awkward. I promptly brought the bottle with me, as a guest, to a subsequent holiday gathering a couple of days later, hosted by a different circle of people and volunteered to leave the just-opened bottle with them (to which they expressed no objection at all).

In my case, I just strive to keep the home a dry place, given long memory of that parent’s clandestine alcoholism and frequent display of “everyday alcohol” to normalize its presence before us, the kids. It was a messed up environment.

At the worst, I could devour a 24-can pack of soda within a day and a half. Now, this side of 50 (53) my body can barely tolerate one a day. So, I have turned to iced tea as my alternative and try not to think about or buy soda at all. When you get to the point that Coke or Pepsi begins to taste like cold medicine you know you crossed the line a while back.

Indeed! My palate now find colas to be syrupy-sweet (and that’s the case when it’s not packed with glucose-fructose or HFCS!). I can’t have a soft drink, like Coke, without some kind of food to counter the sweetness. Suddenly, it’s begun to make sense how the birth of colas occurred in the same place where cough syrup would get prepared and sold!

I now have what I feel is an intolerance for HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) and it will do me in now most of the time.

Yup. HFCS is nasty, nasty stuff. Best avoided, where possible.

The avoidance of glucose-fructose and HFCS is why, I think, I still have a soft spot for the root/birch/maple/spruce beers I do: all share the same, common sweetening ingredient of sugar cane; the carbonation for root beer also tends to be less powerful so than for colas or canned sparkling waters (such La Croix or Mendota Springs, the latter of which has never been sold in Canada).

One of the consequences of my years of soda addiction is the twice daily taking of 20mg of Omeprazol (Prilosec) which I have been on since 2009. Without it, I risk the acid from my stomach once again burning my throat and causing another Schatzki Ring. I'd rather not.

Yikes. Totally understandable.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
My situation is identical to yours but specifically confined to consuming 2ltr bottles of regular Pepsi - much to the chagrin of a best friend who is determined to steer me towards healthier choices. :D

I also have to take Omeprazol - but due to other issues. People across the world often have more in common than they could ever fathom...
My son has some gastro thing as well. You pass things along to your kids unfortunately and this is a result of the autoimmune problem I have that got passed to him. With me it manifested as Psoriasis, with him it's this thing that has him on a certain drug to keep it in check for the rest of his life (unless they find a cure).

• Sad
Reactions: TheShortTimer

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I had to look up “Schatzki ring”. Ick. That sounds very unpleasant.
Here is another for you…:D

Steakhouse syndrome.

And I love and continue to love steak.

(Incidentally, everything I listed, other than my gripe about the very existence of spiked Hires — which I refuse to touch — is all non-alcoholic.)

I grew up in the household of an (abusive) alcoholic. Surviving that taught me very early to not keep alcohol in my home. There are two, limited exceptions: if I host a supper and the guest brings a bottle of wine to pair with the meal I’m cooking, to be shared and consumed entirely with the meal; or, the one time in a year — typically on a provincial, federal, or American presidential election night — when I pick up a couple (as in, exactly two cans) of apple ciders on the day of. That’s it.

One holiday about a decade ago, I was gifted a bottle of single-malt whisky (one aged as old as a teenager). That was… awkward. I promptly brought the bottle with me, as a guest, to a subsequent holiday gathering a couple of days later, hosted by a different circle of people and volunteered to leave the just-opened bottle with them (to which they expressed no objection at all).

In my case, I just strive to keep the home a dry place, given long memory of that parent’s clandestine alcoholism and frequent display of “everyday alcohol” to normalize its presence before us, the kids. It was a messed up environment.

I knew it was all non-alcoholic. I just brought up the reference to alcohol to explain my addiction to soda.

My parents did not drink, except perhaps wine on a holiday. It was never a big deal in our house. So, I never had to contend with that. My messed up nature was all gained in other ways.

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016

At the worst, I could devour a 24-can pack of soda within a day and a half. Now, this side of 50 (53) my body can barely tolerate one a day. So, I have turned to iced tea as my alternative and try not to think about or buy soda at all. When you get to the point that Coke or Pepsi begins to taste like cold medicine you know you crossed the line a while back. I now have what I feel is an intolerance for HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) and it will do me in now most of the time. One of the consequences of my years of soda addiction is the twice daily taking of 20mg of Omeprazol (Prilosec) which I have been on since 2009. Without it, I risk the acid from my stomach once again burning my throat and causing another Schatzki Ring. I'd rather not.
RC cola is my favorite cola…nice to see it mentioned! Drinking one reminds me of California summers when I was a kid in the 70’s…

😀😀😀😀

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
RC cola is my favorite cola…nice to see it mentioned! Drinking one reminds me of California summers when I was a kid in the 70’s…

😀😀😀😀
RC was my favorite up until around 1987 when Jolt Cola started being sold in my area. Roughly around that time though is when the soda companies started replacing sugar with HFCS. HFCS pretty much ruined RC.

And now I have an intolerance to it unfortunately (HFCS that is, not RC). Still like RC though and Jolt Cola is tough to find now (if the company is even in business anymore). Just wish they's put sugar back into RC like Pepsi has done with its 'Pepsi with Real Sugar' line.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
A new mug to report, as if I need another. :rolleyes: But it would seem (and I have admitted this to myself) that I am a 'collector' of coffee mugs, but primarily just those that appeal to me.

2024-02-24 08.19.23.jpg

Anyway, been visiting the Starbucks at a Basha's grocery store down the street (aways) and I've had my eye on this mug for a while now. Yesterday, I finally got it. It was the last one on the shelf in white and apparently they wanted it gone because it was only $9.99 ($10 off).

I visit this particular third party Starbucks because there is very, very rarely any line and I get personalized service. They make a great flat white there and I don't have to deal with the chaos in an ordinary Starbucks store (or their drive thru). Ironically, this location has an actual Starbucks across the street. And finally, there is a third-party Starbucks the same distance in the opposite direction at a Safeway. But that one is always busy. So this location works perfect for me all the way around.

But…only half a month to go before the Scooters coffee next to my house opens. Then I can just walk.

Saturday morning coffee and MacPro!

2024-02-24 08.19.10.jpg

A new mug to report, as if I need another. :rolleyes: But it would seem (and I have admitted this to myself) that I am a 'collector' of coffee mugs, but primarily just those that appeal to me.

View attachment 2352573

Anyway, been visiting the Starbucks at a Basha's grocery store down the street (aways) and I've had my eye on this mug for a while now. Yesterday, I finally got it. It was the last one on the shelf in white and apparently they wanted it gone because it was only $9.99 ($10 off).

I visit this particular third party Starbucks because there is very, very rarely any line and I get personalized service. They make a great flat white there and I don't have to deal with the chaos in an ordinary Starbucks store (or their drive thru). Ironically, this location has an actual Starbucks across the street. And finally, there is a third-party Starbucks the same distance in the opposite direction at a Safeway. But that one is always busy. So this location works perfect for me all the way around.

But…only half a month to go before the Scooters coffee next to my house opens. Then I can just walk.

Saturday morning coffee and MacPro!

View attachment 2352574

Not my cup of java, so to speak, but you found a new fave mug, and whatever the mug, having a fave mug is always a joy. ☕

My own fave is really, really faded now (and has been repaired at least once with epoxy resin to re-attach the handle), but I will continue to use it until it dies, I find a new(er) one which is identical, or when I die — whichever of these happens first.

1708790126483.png

It’s not easy to see, but in ultrafine type weight, on either side, it reads “1933” and “2017”. I think subsequent editions, with the latter date updated, were produced, as well.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Not my cup of java, so to speak, but you found a new fave mug, and whatever the mug, having a fave mug is always a joy. ☕

My own fave is really, really faded now (and has been repaired at least once with epoxy resin to re-attach the handle), but I will continue to use it until it dies, I find a new(er) one which is identical, or when I die — whichever of these happens first.

View attachment 2352581

It’s not easy to see, but in ultrafine type weight, on either side, it reads “1933” and “2017”. I think subsequent editions, with the latter date updated, were produced, as well.
I actually have several favorites - and those are the ones I tend to use on the weekends when I brew the better coffee. I do have favorite mugs I use during the week with the daily coffee and they tend to be the more inexpensive mugs.

I guess my wife's problem in getting me started with coffee so many years ago was not realizing at the time that when I decide I am interested in something I tend to just go all in at once. Instead of like a normal person, buying a few things here or there I usually just plunk down a bunch of money in one go to get 'all' of it (or as much of it available to me). This has resulted in a 'lesser used' mug cabinet above the refrigerator where my wife has stashed mugs she thought I wasn't using much. THAT, has resulted in a few "Where the heck is my mug?!" comments a few times until we both sorted out what was 'frequent' use and what wasn't. :) We also have a difference of opinion about what to do with 'well-used' mugs. She doesn't care for mugs that show all the scratching from using a spoon to mix sugar and cream. I consider that to be a well-earned patina. She's had to replace one or two of my mugs because they were 'old'. Fortunately, now that's not much of a problem anymore because I've stopped using cream and sugar altogether.

Like your pictured mug, my Dunkin' mug shows similar signs. Bought in 2009 at the opening of the first Dunkin' in our area it's survived, although the graphics have faded considerably in the last 15 years.

At this point I will stop because I could give you the history of every mug I have in the cabinet and no one wants to read that. :D

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
The dead ACD is still there I see — any news on wrestling the HDTV into its place? :)
That's difficult to answer. I know I've been going on and on about redoing my desk before that monitor even went out and I haven't yet. It's down to motivation and my frustration has not yet reached the tipping point where I want to spend an entire day tearing down six computers, multiple displays, a NAS, a HD enclosure, a network switch, a printer and ALL the power supplies/cords, cables and additional items that go with it all. That doesn't even cover the stuff on the desk and moving in the table from the kitchen - which is another problem, because I've promised that the table in the garage is to come out to replace the one in the kitchen. And the garage is a mess with a bunch of stuff on top of that table.

Then there is the fact that because I basically serve as the chauffeur in the family, my day starts around 1 or 2am with 2.5 hours dedicated to dropping people off and then 2.5 hours later in the day dedicated to picking them up. It leaves about 4 hours in the day for everything else. By the time I get to the weekend I don't really want to do anything. I usually recover by Sunday, but that's the day I have to go back to bed early because the whole cycle starts again on Monday. A second car would solve a lot of this, but we are currently not in the spot to get one.

So, I have to decide if I'm going to spend the bulk of my own personal time on the weekend moving things around. Any excuse I can come up with to not do that has so far been entertained. But I'm working on getting there - if that counts.

Lastly, part of the problem is that I have to complete the work in one weekend. I can't split it up, because the work Mac is part of all this and if it's not on and functioning on Monday morning when I'm supposed to clock in to work then I have a problem. If I could split things up, it might be different.

Reactions: Amethyst1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.