Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Like your pictured mug, my Dunkin' mug shows similar signs. Bought in 2009 at the opening of the first Dunkin' in our area it's survived, although the graphics have faded considerably in the last 15 years.

Ah yes. That picture was made in Auguat 2017, maybe a week it was delivered, so the black screen-printing/glazing was still black and not the faded hue of, ironically, a latte.

At this point I will stop because I could give you the history of every mug I have in the cabinet and no one wants to read that. :D

I relate with the going all-in on, say, an interest or a topic of research, wherein that is all I’ll focus on as I catch up to a point where one can begin to have a fuller sense of that interest or topic. When I was younger, I might have done similarly with a class of objects or items within a specific interest area. As I’ve aged, new interests to come up have tended to centre less around what’s collectible and more around what all I can learn from it — most of it being intangible. This came in handy for entering university as late as I did and why, for instance, I took on an ancillary interest in library information science-related methods — perfect for archival work. :)

This ties in with that general notion how a certain number of hours of a person studying a topic or learning a discipline brings them to a level of competence of that topic (or interest) where they could, in turn, use that knowledge to teach others, with some confidence, what they’ve learnt/synthesized.

The interest list (in some cases, more “graveyard”, whenever I’d reach a point when there was little more to learn or do) spanning my life is all over the place. But then again, life is sort of like that, too. :D

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I relate with the going all-in on, say, an interest or a topic of research, wherein that is all I’ll focus on as I catch up to a point where one can begin to have a fuller sense of that interest or topic.
At some point in late 1993, early 1994 I got tired of the way AD&D handled hit points and damage. I was looking for a system that was more realistic in nature and through a new group of gamers I discovered Rolemaster. Critical hit charts, the possibility of dying in one blow, better rules for healing, etc, etc sold me.

So, I found my local comic book shop and in one go dropped over $100 for the basic books and several of the companion books. Unfortunately, because certain books were (and remain) hard to find I was not able to complete the collection until a couple years later. But in the meantime, I had access to photocopies from the group's GM who graciously allowed me to borrow the books I didn't have and copy them. It's a total of 20 books for that edition of Rolemaster, although one is basically character sheets. I did reject one book simply because it was premade NPCs I wasn't interested in.

My dad got a hold of my Alchemist Companion at some point though and that got tossed into the fireplace. I wasn't able to replace that until a few years ago when one came up on eBay.

I've gone all in on Halo, since finding a copy at the Goodwill. Never played it much, but I love the lore and cutscenes and playthroughs are readily available on YT as are the cons that Steve Downes (Master Chief) and Jen Taylor (Cortana/The Weapon) attend.

Likewise, Homeworld is now a big thing for me. I paid $20 recently just for the book that came with the first game (which I do not have). I'm waiting until I've got the cash to go after the Homeworld RPG, solely for the reason that the books will provide detailed background information that you wouldn't get from the games. This is right up my alley in relation to the whole strong female character and connections aspect, viv a vis Karan S'Jet, Rachel S'Jet and now Imogen S'Jet (Homeworld 3, releasing this year).

Amazon has seen three Homeworld soundtrack purchases from me. :) Bonus: my wife loves the music but shakes her head at the fact that it's soundtracks to video games.

That's me though, just who I am. Glad someone else out there can identify with that.

Reactions: B S Magnet
My dad got a hold of my Alchemist Companion at some point though and that got tossed into the fireplace. I wasn't able to replace that until a few years ago when one came up on eBay.

HE BURNT A BOOK?! TF? 😫

That's me though, just who I am. Glad someone else out there can identify with that.

Indeed!

Although games haven’t been a part of that in my life (note: my inherent dullness comes from not playing many games after about the age of 12), a bunch of other stuff, some even a bit absurd, have taken on that mantle for a time.

Probably the most recent of the lot happened way back in the late aughts with the use of Kodachrome film photography: it became everything I shot for its final three years. It got to be such that it was impossible for me to merely look at anything, even when I didn’t have my camera with me, without visualizing how it would render in the Kodachrome palette. Along with that, of course, were times I tried to learn all I could about the lines of camera makes I used for shooting film (i.e., lenses, speedlights, accessories, etc.).

No, I take that back: the most recent was my provisional obsession (still pending!) over monarch butterflies, having reared four of them from egg to cat to chrysalid to eclose to release late last summer. There is still much more for me to learn, including possibly other butterfly species endemic to my region.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
HE BURNT A BOOK?! TF? 😫
It annoyed me, but was in large part my own stupid fault for leaving the book out where he could see it.

Way back in 1984 I got involved in the basic set of D&D. That's during the time of the whole Satanic Panic of the evangelical church over D&D. I had a nightmare, my dad blamed it on D&D (I blame it on something else) and my D&D books got burned.

I didn't get back into it until 1992 (played a bunch of other games) when I got started with AD&D 2nd Edition. Based on what had happened previously I kept the books hidden away in my closet or under my bed. Eventually I got my own storage unit and they went there. In 1994, I added the Rolemaster books.

I got careless and left this book out. He saw it, burned it while I was out and then informed me of what he'd done. I wasn't happy, but I knew that this could happen (because I left it out) so I let it go. I was living in his house with no way of supporting myself outside of a part-time job and he was paying the gas for the car, insurance, the mortgage, etc and so on.

Once I moved out when I got married though, I could do whatever I wanted and all that stuff was out in the open.

Indeed!

Although games haven’t been a part of that in my life (note: my inherent dullness comes from not playing many games after about the age of 12), a bunch of other stuff, some even a bit absurd, have taken on that mantle for a time.

Probably the most recent of the lot happened way back in the late aughts with the use of Kodachrome film photography: it became everything I shot for its final three years. It got to be such that it was impossible for me to merely look at anything, even when I didn’t have my camera with me, without visualizing how it would render in the Kodachrome palette. Along with that, of course, were times I tried to learn all I could about the lines of camera makes I used for shooting film (i.e., lenses, speedlights, accessories, etc.).

No, I take that back: the most recent was my provisional obsession (still pending!) over monarch butterflies, having reared four of them from egg to cat to chrysalid to eclose to release late last summer. There is still much more for me to learn, including possibly other butterfly species endemic to my region.
Butterflies, that's cool!

It annoyed me, but was in large part my own stupid fault for leaving the book out where he could see it.

Way back in 1984 I got involved in the basic set of D&D. That's during the time of the whole Satanic Panic of the evangelical church over D&D. I had a nightmare, my dad blamed it on D&D (I blame it on something else) and my D&D books got burned.

As soon as you noted the year, I instantly remembered the 20/20 and 60 Minutes scare stories around D&D and all manner of pop music being a marque of teh devil. Also, I remember how you, like me, lived in Texasland back then, where, you know…

I got careless and left this book out. He saw it, burned it while I was out and then informed me of what he'd done. I wasn't happy, but I knew that this could happen (because I left it out) so I let it go. I was living in his house with no way of supporting myself outside of a part-time job and he was paying the gas for the car, insurance, the mortgage, etc and so on.

Wait. He burnt more books again during the mid ’90s? Did your relationship with him worsen, or improve in the years following?

Once I moved out when I got married though, I could do whatever I wanted and all that stuff was out in the open.

Gratuitous mention.

Butterflies, that's cool!

This was one of my boys, named Blinky, maybe 18 hours after eclose (when they break out of their chrysalis) and about four hours before they were released:

1708802045551.png

And Blinky as a fifth-instar cat (last caterpillar stage before chrysalid):

1708802702551.png

And Blinky, just before hatching (that silvery bit), from a time-lapse clip:
1708802974491.png

There was also Inky (girl), Pinky (girl), and Genki (boy). A fifth, named Slinky, didn’t survive the stage between caterpillar and emerging into chrysalid stage. Losing them was devastating to witness, because they bled when the moult failed.

I can’t really overstate how attached I became to these kids and how wrecked I was when I watched each of them take their first flight to, hopefully, the Michoacán overwintering grounds (provided they weren’t razed to drop in cartel-planted avocado orchards). Between 1996 and 2015, the population of the monarch brood to migrate to Mexico plummeted by 97 per cent, placing them into vulnerable (and for at least one province, Nova Scotia, on the endangered list).

• Love
Reactions: Amethyst1

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
As soon as you noted the year, I instantly remembered the 20/20 and 60 Minutes scare stories around D&D and all manner of pop music being a marque of teh devil. Also, I remember how you, like me, lived in Texasland back then, where, you know…
Yes, but Texas was 1975 to 1980. I didn't get involved in D&D until 1984 and we'd been in California since 1980 by that point. I get it though.

Wait. He burnt more books again during the mid ’90s? Did your relationship with him worsen, or improve in the years following?
The first was 1984. The books and dice from the D&D Basic Set (red box).

The second was the aforementioned Alchemist Companion, which would have happened around 1995 or 1996 I think.

As I said, I let it go because I stupidly left it out. I could have left out the Arms Companion and that would have been fine, 'cause knights battling it out, but no leave out this book with the Mage transmuting something! Great job idiot (me)!

I don't hate my dad (he died in 2019), but we were never close and a large part of what I was taught about 'being a man' came from women.

Yes, but Texas was 1975 to 1980. I didn't get involved in D&D until 1984 and we'd been in California since 1980 by that point. I get it though.

Oh, it got a whole lot worse after 1980, as you can probably imagine…

As I said, I let it go because I stupidly left it out. I could have left out the Arms Companion and that would have been fine, 'cause knights battling it out, but no leave out this book with the Mage transmuting something! Great job idiot (me)!

Nah, blame was solely in the person who used a fairly violent means to destroy your possession out of, idk, reasons. Sort of like the way my ex-mum shattered my clock-radio at age 13 because she knew it was the medium I used to listen to pop culture outside of the house and a “thing” she knew I enjoyed. (Her [sadistic] thing was, consistently, finding her power in ways to deprive me of things which brought me happiness or joy.) Her means of destroying it was to twirl it in giant loops from its power cord, until the clock-radio slammed into the garage door, splintering into hundreds of pieces I had to clean up.

I don't hate my dad (he died in 2019), but we were never close and a large part of what I was taught about 'being a man' came from women.

:nods:

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Sort of like the way my ex-mum shattered my clock-radio at age 13 because she knew it was the medium I used to listen to pop culture outside of the house and a “thing” she knew I enjoyed. (Her [sadistic] thing was, consistently, finding her power in ways to deprive me of things which brought me happiness or joy.) Her means of destroying it was to twirl it in giant loops from its power cord, until the clock-radio slammed into the garage door, splintering into hundreds of pieces I had to clean up.
That paragraph nearly brought me to tears. My heart goes out to you.

That paragraph nearly brought me to tears. My heart goes out to you.

Destroying that clock-radio was one of the mildest things she did to me. Most of what she did, above and beyond that, is appropriate to an audience comprised of a therapist trained in PTSD recovery.

Comparatively, I think a parent burning books — anyone burning books — goes beyond the pale. The Bibliothek at Bebelplatz is really all I have to add to that.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Oh, it got a whole lot worse after 1980, as you can probably imagine…

Nah, blame was solely in the person who used a fairly violent means to destroy your possession out of, idk, reasons. Sort of like the way my ex-mum shattered my clock-radio at age 13 because she knew it was the medium I used to listen to pop culture outside of the house and a “thing” she knew I enjoyed. (Her [sadistic] thing was, consistently, finding her power in ways to deprive me of things which brought me happiness or joy.) Her means of destroying it was to twirl it in giant loops from its power cord, until the clock-radio slammed into the garage door, splintering into hundreds of pieces I had to clean up.

:nods:
With one exception as a little kid in TX (which was quickly put a stop to by my mother) the majority of my trauma was emotional. My wife has helped me work through it over the years as she's had her own trauma, both emotional and physical.

That said…there is a day when you are older, when your physical strength is waxing while theirs is waning. And my father, a victim of abuse himself (he volunteered for the war in Korea to get away from his mother) had no idea how to handle things. And I started working for UPS in 1992. By 1997, the 110lb kid he'd raised was still 110lb, but was throwing around 150lb packages at work. Things…shifted. Bullies can intrinsically sense how far the line is (or at least the bully I lived with did).

Later on in his life he made a few attempts to 'fix' things, but while I thanked him I did not engage in the overall reaching out for a connection. There's a story about a scorpion and a frog - which both die in the middle of a river because the scorpion couldn't change what it was. That was my dad. Sooner or later there'd be the same old attempt to run my life.

I am neither sympathizing nor rationalizing, just explaining.

In your case, all I can do is sympathize as I do with my wife's issues.

And I think that's about where I stop on this subject.

Got started on this earlier this week…

2024-02-24 18.41.45.jpg

I've been trying Walmart's equivalent to Nervive and that has Ginseng in it. This product also has Ginseng, so I figured I'd try one a day since I've been drinking the Espresso Doubleshots anyway, I had chickenpox when I was an infant, back before the vaccine. So, that led to shingles at some point which did some nerve damage to my right side. Both this coffee drink and the Nervive equivalent seem to have helped a bit.

I've been trying Walmart's equivalent to Nervive and that has Ginseng in it. This product also has Ginseng, so I figured I'd try one a day since I've been drinking the Espresso Doubleshots anyway, I had chickenpox when I was an infant, back before the vaccine. So, that led to shingles at some point which did some nerve damage to my right side. Both this coffee drink and the Nervive equivalent seem to have helped a bit.

I’m not sure I’m familiar with Nervive, and my only experience with beverages featuring ginseng were the old AriZona branded iced tea variety from the ’90s variety, sold exclusively in a blue-glass bottle (I love blue glass!). My understanding is ginseng root is an unusually strong, earthy flavour, but that tea either had very little of it or used remarkable amounts of sugar to counteract that taste. I’m guessing probably a bit of both.

I remember Doubleshots from the early ’00s when I still lived in the U.S., and I really liked them. They also sold here (and may still, for all I know), but I don’t think I’ve ever seen this can around here. Also, it appears to be an order taller than the original Doubleshot can.

I can empathize with coming down with shingles. It’s horrible.

Despite my bout with chicken pox happening back when I was in grade two (during winter holiday, no less), it was in March 2020 when I first dealt with shingles. Given where the “belt” of the breakout was located, I sincerely thought at first my appendix was about to burst. I set up an urgent visit at my family doctor’s clinic, where a weekend clinician saw me. They prescribed valacyclovir on the spot, which helped with the severity of the inflammation. (It also turns out, I later learnt, that Saturday visit was the last day the clinic held in-person appointments before all lockdowns shut everything down, with subsequent appointments done via phone/Zoom.)

With one exception as a little kid in TX (which was quickly put a stop to by my mother) the majority of my trauma was emotional. My wife has helped me work through it over the years as she's had her own trauma, both emotional and physical.

That said…there is a day when you are older, when your physical strength is waxing while theirs is waning. And my father, a victim of abuse himself (he volunteered for the war in Korea to get away from his mother) had no idea how to handle things. And I started working for UPS in 1992. By 1997, the 110lb kid he'd raised was still 110lb, but was throwing around 150lb packages at work. Things…shifted. Bullies can intrinsically sense how far the line is (or at least the bully I lived with did). I severed all connection with her when I was 23, though she did try to stalk me for a few years until I made everything unlisted.

Later on in his life he made a few attempts to 'fix' things, but while I thanked him I did not engage in the overall reaching out for a connection. There's a story about a scorpion and a frog - which both die in the middle of a river because the scorpion couldn't change what it was. That was my dad. Sooner or later there'd be the same old attempt to run my life.

I am neither sympathizing nor rationalizing, just explaining.

In your case, all I can do is sympathize as I do with my wife's issues.

And I think that's about where I stop on this subject.

A couple of things:

1) I understand how you mean about growing stronger whilst young at the same time the abuser was getting weaker (in her case, a smoker, crypto-alcoholic, and valium addict). For me, that moment happened at age 14. She turned to other forms of physical and psychological abuse thereafter.

2) The scope and extent of her chronic abuse, her constant manipulation, and the dimension of her antisocial personality traits have staggered every therapist I’ve spoken to over the years. My siblings were not spared, but instead were served different aspects of her abuse (all of them orders milder, though my sister, after I ran away, got hit with a moderate amount of that abuse otherwise intended for me — my brothers mostly being subjects of her doting on them as “ideal” kids, which messed them up in other ways). In a very screwed up sense, surviving and understanding her violence toward me so soon after I left prepared me for some other, untoward stuff I had to survive during my early-mid twenties. So if there’s any silver lining, it was that and that alone.

Ultimately, I severed contact with her at 23, though she attempted to stalk me for a few years (before I made everything about myself unlisted).

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I’m not sure I’m familiar with Nervive, and my only experience with beverages featuring ginseng were the old AriZona branded iced tea variety from the ’90s variety, sold exclusively in a blue-glass bottle (I love blue glass!). My understanding is ginseng root is an unusually strong, earthy flavour, but that tea either had very little of it or used remarkable amounts of sugar to counteract that taste. I’m guessing probably a bit of both.

I remember Doubleshots from the early ’00s when I still lived in the U.S., and I really liked them. They also sold here (and may still, for all I know), but I don’t think I’ve ever seen this can around here. Also, it appears to be an order taller than the original Doubleshot can.

I can empathize with coming down with shingles. It’s horrible.

Despite my bout with chicken pox happening back when I was in grade two (during winter holiday, no less), it was in March 2020 when I first dealt with shingles. Given where the “belt” of the breakout was located, I sincerely thought at first my appendix was about to burst. I set up an urgent visit at my family doctor’s clinic, where a weekend clinician saw me. They prescribed valacyclovir on the spot, which helped with the severity of the inflammation. (It also turns out, I later learnt, that Saturday visit was the last day the clinic held in-person appointments before all lockdowns shut everything down, with subsequent appointments done via phone/Zoom.)
Yeah, I was kind of not clear. On the right (below) is what I have been drinking. The taller can is Starbucks answer to Monster, Red Bull, etc. I don't particularly care for ginseng (which the smaller can does not have) but again, the Nervive similar product does have that, so…

2024-02-24 19.15.17.jpg

Walmart's 'Nervive'. This is the same ingredient list in Nervive itself, the primary ingredient being Alpha Lipoic Acid. And now, of course that I'm actually having to talk about it I note that the Nervive does NOT have Ginseng. Of course I misread Ginger as being Ginseng. Sigh! Oh well.

2024-02-24 19.16.02.jpg

Yeah, I was kind of not clear. On the right (below) is what I have been drinking. The taller can is Starbucks answer to Monster, Red Bull, etc. I don't particularly care for ginseng (which the smaller can does not have) but again, the Nervive similar product does have that, so…

View attachment 2352781

Next time I’m at a convenience store, I’ll make a note to check their beverage coolers for the Starbucks cans and bottles they stock up here. :)

Walmart's 'Nervive'. This is the same ingredient list in Nervive itself, the primary ingredient being Alpha Lipoic Acid. And now, of course that I'm actually having to talk about it I note that the Nervive does NOT have Ginseng. Of course I misread Ginger as being Ginseng. Sigh! Oh well.

View attachment 2352780

Yah, it’s an easy mistake to make.

I took note the 100% of Vitamin B6 on the label. That’s one vitamin (along with vitamin A, as memory serves) you don’t want to overdo, as I understand too much B6, over an extended stretch of time, may produce nerve-related issues. But I’m not a physician or an RN, so take that with a grain of salt for now.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
The dead ACD is still there I see — any news on wrestling the HDTV into its place? :)
Been waiting a bit to post a second reply to this…

I'm going to be forced to do this now and here's why…

One of the aspects of using a table instead of a desk that I did not realize when I started is that tables sit a bit higher. I was forced to find some sort of foot support to compensate, which I did. But one of the things I hate when sitting at a table is straddling a table leg.

I was seriously thinking about getting to this redo last week when I realized that my placement of things and using the table in the kitchen was going to cause a problem. I'd be straddling a table leg and because the kitchen table is a bit shorter there would be a misalignment of things.

I thought (not for the first time), "Wouldn't it be great if American Furniture Warehouse had my Ridgely table back in stock so I could get another one?". That'd leave a wide enough gap in between the two tables that I could comfortably sit within and everything would be more or less aligned.

So, on a whim, I checked their site again. I was surprised to find that the table is once again in stock. I had to wait until a bigger paycheck came in, but I just got done buying another.

0134649_Z-1815TBL.jpg_600.jpeg

It means that in order to fit both tables on the same wall the cabinet holding the networking equipment must be moved. But I'll find somewhere for it. It also means that since AFW will be delivering, I've got to get this room ready because I can't have a table sitting blocking everything.

So. Ready or not, I've forced my hand on myself. ;)

Been waiting a bit to post a second reply to this…

I'm going to be forced to do this now and here's why…

One of the aspects of using a table instead of a desk that I did not realize when I started is that tables sit a bit higher. I was forced to find some sort of foot support to compensate, which I did. But one of the things I hate when sitting at a table is straddling a table leg.

I was seriously thinking about getting to this redo last week when I realized that my placement of things and using the table in the kitchen was going to cause a problem. I'd be straddling a table leg and because the kitchen table is a bit shorter there would be a misalignment of things.

I thought (not for the first time), "Wouldn't it be great if American Furniture Warehouse had my Ridgely table back in stock so I could get another one?". That'd leave a wide enough gap in between the two tables that I could comfortably sit within and everything would be more or less aligned.

So, on a whim, I checked their site again. I was surprised to find that the table is once again in stock. I had to wait until a bigger paycheck came in, but I just got done buying another.

View attachment 2359484

It means that in order to fit both tables on the same wall the cabinet holding the networking equipment must be moved. But I'll find somewhere for it. It also means that since AFW will be delivering, I've got to get this room ready because I can't have a table sitting blocking everything.

So. Ready or not, I've forced my hand on myself. ;)

Get ready and get cracking. You have some organizing and optimizing to do. :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Get ready and get cracking. You have some organizing and optimizing to do. :)
Prep…

2024-03-17 08.18.35.jpg

Had to temporarily move the coffee table so the delivery people have a large enough space to assemble the new table. Delivery window is today (3/17/2024) between 12:15pm and 2:45pm.

Was looking at some other tables on the AFW website last night. I think for what I've paid for these tables I have a very good size. Most of the longer tables I saw are too long to allow two side by side and too short by themselves to completely fill the space. The space being from the left side of the cabinet (on the left) to the bannister on the right. Both of these tables will leave only 1.5 or less inches to spare.

One of the more expensive tables expands to 140", but it's folding leaves on the ends. No way that's going to hold monitors, computers and printers without breaking.

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
Prep…

View attachment 2360070

Had to temporarily move the coffee table so the delivery people have a large enough space to assemble the new table. Delivery window is today (3/17/2024) between 12:15pm and 2:45pm.

Was looking at some other tables on the AFW website last night. I think for what I've paid for these tables I have a very good size. Most of the longer tables I saw are too long to allow two side by side and too short by themselves to completely fill the space. The space being from the left side of the cabinet (on the left) to the bannister on the right. Both of these tables will leave only 1.5 or less inches to spare.

One of the more expensive tables expands to 140", but it's folding leaves on the ends. No way that's going to hold monitors, computers and printers without breaking.
Are you going to place the tables end to end like ___ ___ or are you going for an L shape ?

Also, for the record I think your work station needs the addition of a Federation captains chair or maybe a cockpit chair from the Millennium Falcon including mic’d headset (or one of the nav seats).

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Are you going to place the tables end to end like ___ ___ or are you going for an L shape ?

Also, for the record I think your work station needs the addition of a Federation captains chair or maybe a cockpit chair from the Millennium Falcon including mic’d headset.
The tables will be end to end. That cabinet has to be moved somewhere else though, so they can fit. I can't make an 'L' because it would block half the living room and that would impede going from the entryway to the kitchen.

Side by side is what I want. It's actually what I wanted to do from the beginning, I just didn't have enough money at the time to buy two tables at once. All that stuff you see on the right (the Mac, printer, etc) will go on the second table. But it will now be level with the first table, instead of at the height it is right now.

PS. My chair is a gaming chair…shrug. Don't know if that counts. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: TheShortTimer

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Difference three years makes. The pattern on the new table is altered so that there is a band of non-patterned wood-grain at the edges. Still cool.

2024-03-17 11.27.50.jpg 2024-03-17 11.28.59.jpg

Now, my wife won't let this sit in the living room for very long so going to have to figure everything out soon.

Difference three years makes. The pattern on the new table is altered so that there is a band of non-patterned wood-grain at the edges. Still cool.

View attachment 2360123 View attachment 2360122

Now, my wife won't let this sit in the living room for very long so going to have to figure everything out soon.

It may be nearing the time when all of us, including your family, will have to start referring to this setup as “Mission Control Phoenix”.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
It may be nearing the time when all of us, including your family, will have to start referring to this setup as “Mission Control Phoenix”.
That ship has already sailed. My wife's been referring to is as Mission Control for quite a long time now. ;)

EDIT: She's already surrendered to the idea that the front room is a 'media room' now and not a front room/living room anymore. While I love the whole thing and will love it even more once I finally get done with it all (again), I hate that we're still in this spot. Once my son moves out after graduation and finding a job I'll be less uncomfortable because she gets his room. And once my daughter is moved out, the living room and the garage go back to being what they should be. At that point she won't have to be surrendering space anymore.

I know I've mentioned all that many times, but we're much closer to it now than we were in 2003 and 2008 respectively.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.