Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
That might actually be a good theory if the story as reported by MR was accurate. But as the source story explains, the DoT says they are not actually pursing a ban, and further that they not on the verge of handing down new rules of any kind. So other than the bogus premise...

That teaches me to speculate on a report of a report.
On the one hand I am relieved about the inaccuracy and on the other hand I have to :rolleyes: at myself for believing MR at face value.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Considering how loud and inconsiderate people are using phones on other forms of transportation (buses, trains) can you imagine the nightmare of trying to go through a flight with people yacking for hours? :mad:

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
That teaches me to speculate on a report of a report.
On the one hand I am relieved about the inaccuracy and on the other hand I have to :rolleyes: at myself for believing MR at face value.

Yup, the inaccuracies pawned as news by MR is approaching epic proportions. I come in here these days mainly to catch stuff like this and I am rarely disappointed.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
DOT, please let me know which super cell phone can actually get any signal while in flight. That would be the phone I am going to get so that I can actually annoy others...(Guess what, there isn't...)

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Governments vs the laws of physics. So silly.

Let the airlines decide - they own the planes. All you people calling for a ban are embarrassing to free adults. The planes can decide how they want to regulate the social environment on their planes. If you people want to boss other people around so much for your own preferences get your own planes.

----------

It sure does hold up. In my profession it boggles the mind how much control government exerts. The problem is you like the slope so far - but lots hate it and feel oppressed every day.

I haven't found big businesses to be any more ethical or responsible than the government. Hell, at this point, I'd say government is the lesser of two evils.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Banning seems extreme to me. Some people will want to talk on the phone. I mean will they ban talking to the person next to you next because it annoys the person on the other side of you or behind or in front of you? It's like banning hand-free phones in cars. There might be some benefit to safety, but it's too much like banning talking to another passenger and therefore absurd.

In addition to the possibilities of a separate "class" area for cell allowed use or "phone booths", how about a pay-for-a-fee Bluetooth powered privacy "call" helmet that simultaneously provides them privacy for calls and reduced environmental noise and quiet for the people around them. I think the Back To The Future game by Telltale Games had a call helmet in it that comes to mind. :D

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
I think the Back To The Future game by Telltale Games had a call helmet in it that comes to mind. :D
I like the idea of a call helmet or cone of silence. I was at a football game trying to listen to a voice mail left by a quiet talker (colleague) on my cell phone and I could not make out what he was saying even when I went to the quietest part of the stadium even on full volume.

neversink

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
It be great to be able to dial and tell the other party picking you up "Captain says we are landing in 15 minutes."

But what you still can't know is how long your plane will taxi at the airport until it reaches the gate, how long it will take to receive your luggage, and, if you are flying internationally, how long you will be held up in customs.

I don't want to hear my neighbor talking on the phone while flying.

----------

I like the idea of a call helmet or cone of silence. I was at a football game trying to listen to a voice mail left by a quiet talker (colleague) on my cell phone and I could not make out what he was saying even when I went to the quietest part of the stadium even on full volume.

Man, what did you do before cell phones when you went to football games. You certainly didn't get distracted by voice mails or FB updates or text messages or tweets or......

Nope, you didn't really need a phone with you. Shut your phone off when you go to an event. You really don't need to immediately know who calls. It can wait. if it was that important, you wouldn't be at the football game in the first place.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I don't want to hear my neighbor talking on the phone while flying.

Man, what did you do before cell phones when you went to football games. You certainly didn't get distracted by voice mails or FB updates or text messages or tweets or......

Yeah, it's way more "fun" to have people do those mega-loud whistles right in your ear or have them scream at the top of their lungs at people on the field who can't freaking even hear them (just me as my ear rings on its way to deafness from overzealous "fans"). Personally, I'd take someone talking in a reasonable tone on the phone over that any day of the week.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Considering how loud and inconsiderate people are using phones on other forms of transportation (buses, trains) can you imagine the nightmare of trying to go through a flight with people yacking for hours? :mad:

Agreed. I hope in-flight calling never gets approved.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Yes! This HAS to be banned. I could not imagine sitting next to some motor mouth yapping the entire flight. There is nobody THAT important that you absolutely have to talk to during a domestic flight, international maybe a little different.

Think how many people are gonna get punched in the face over it

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I don't want inflight calls. My luck would have me sandwiched between a parent holding a colicky kid and some self absorbed lard ass on their phone intentionally talking loudly so everyone nearby can hear how darned important they are.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I know I've left my phone on by accident a couple of times, and it did not have service in flight.

Now, one thing I can say, is thank god those ******* nextel phones are a thing of the past. Every time I heard that ear-piercing double beep, followed by some assclown yelling at the top of his lungs into it, and with the volume turned up to concert levels, I wanted to grab it out of his hand and smash it against the wall. I'm getting violent just thinking about them.

lannister80

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2009
Chicagoland
Cell towers are omnidirectional that means that means going up too. :eek:
Woah woah woah, no it doesn't. Omni-directional usually means equal signal strength in ONE plane. Imagine a doughnut. It's round and has a constant diameter in ONE plane (horizontal), but not vertical (along the dipole axis):

Signal graph of a typical omni antenna (whip):

3dbi-Omni-300x161.gif

So if you're directly over (or under) a typical omni antenna, you get very poor signal strength.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Woah woah woah, no it doesn't. Omni-directional usually means equal signal strength in ONE plane. Imagine a doughnut. It's round and has a constant diameter in ONE plane (horizontal), but not vertical (along the dipole axis):

Signal graph of a typical omni antenna (whip):

So if you're directly over (or under) a typical omni antenna, you get very poor signal strength.

This reminds me the summer class...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.