Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abhibeckert

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Cairns, Australia
There is more competition in the smartphone and app store markets than there is in cell providers.
There are two app stores and three major cell providers.

However, there's also a couple dozen small cell providers people can go to. And anyone can found a new cell provider if they like.

Try to build an app store and you will fail, because Apple and Google control the industry in a way that locks anyone else out. Nobody controls the cellular industry.

Also, those three cell providers only serve the US. Apple and Google have their duopolies worldwide with the exception of china.

abhibeckert

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Cairns, Australia
Collect taxes. Build infrastructure. Support and direct the military. You know, the usual run-of-the-mill stuff...
Collecting taxes by writing regulation on how much should be collected. Build infrastructure by writing regulation on how
it should be built, then using those taxes to pay private companies who will actually do the work.

Yes, they run a military. And police/courts.

But the real job of the government is regulating things.

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
Collect taxes. Build infrastructure. Support and direct the military. You know, the usual run-of-the-mill stuff...
Taxes are regulation. Infrastructure is built by the private sector, almost exclusively.

Everything else is done with taxes.

Millions of pages of regulation. The system to enforce them. And the military.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
This. Android handles the balance well IMO - by default the phones are configured to disallow side-loading. Users are required to go into settings to enable it, during which they'll be presented with a stern warning of the risks for doing so.

Couple of items on that ...
1. Not all Android versions (talking device OEM) allow sideloading
2. Depending on the version, wading through the sideloading can be a mess

Would love to see Google simplify the basic sideloading function.

ss2cire

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
Earth?
When governments use the term "high barrier to entry", what are they really talking about? They can't possibly believe that it's easier for every developer to run an individual web site and handle all of the transactions, refunds, insurance, server costs etc. on a global scale. One of the reasons the centralized store model works is because it eliminates a lot of the hassle/cost for developers and also provides the largest possible user traffic. The reality is that global 3rd party stores will most likely be run by other billion/trillion dollar companies...which is probably the real reason behind the sudden rush to force side loading through legislation.
this this and this, this is why I choose iOS it's so easy to release an app (relatively that is) and just have apple take care of the rest.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Take one step into alternative app stores. Start by having one alternative.

One day, I decide that I’d like an app for some reason. I start by looking at Apple’s app store simply because that is what I have always done. But I don’t find one that convinces me to download it.

Next stop, B’s app store. Broadly two likely scenarios. Either they will only have a modest number of apps – in which case quite likely few that weren’t on Apple’s app store. Or they’ll to a very large extent have the same apps.

I don’t know about you, but I get bored stiff working through the various apps that initially look possible. Having spent time doing that one one app store, I’ll only have a

Cursory glance at another which is largely the same.

Two obvious paths – B offer an option to only see apps that are unique to them. Which might hack off some developers who find their apps easily hidden. Or they don’t which might hack off end users who are already bored.

Now multiply that to three, four, …, twenty or more app stores.

And for each app store you use, you’ll most likely have to register and set up an account. Maybe not to browse, but definitely if you want to download and buy apps.

In fairly short order, some of these alternate app stores are likely to struggle. At least to the extent that you won’t be saving much, if anything, in terms of payment for apps.

I can see the alternate app store for a few companies. A mega-game app store which is more or less exclusive to that game? Maybe a facebook app store to try to lock people in ever tighter?

At the same time, I can see some apps remaining only with Apple’s app store – things like bank-provided apps. Where the company behind them sees no incentive to offer them elsewhere – and possibly a disincentive in having to deal with multiple app stores to distribute their apps. And the possibility of less security.

I can also see situations such as we currently have where there are wars – real physical wars as well as cyber wars. If Moscow wants to create an app for Russian citizens, they’d probably be all too happy to set up their own app store. And manage the apps to do what they want them to without any external checking or verification of safety at all.

(I can equally imagine London, Washington, Beijing, etc., doing much the same. Not confining the problem to one country.)

As a pretty pathetic app user, I really don’t have many installed, it is probably easier and, in the end, no more expensive, for me to simply stick with Apple.

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
Because the US has laws against anti-competitive behavior and the constitution calls for the executive branch to 'take care that the laws be faithfully executed'
Sure but apple invented their own App Store. It’s not a publicly owned utility service. And developers are not forced to develop for iOS

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
Sure but apple invented their own App Store. It’s not a publicly owned utility service. And developers are not forced to develop for iOS
Apple is an American corporation, and thus is subject to prevailing state and federal laws, which include the Sherman Antitrust Act, Federal Trade Commission Act, and the Clayton Antitrust Act. Nobody was forced to use Microsoft Windows. Or Kodak Cameras.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
I agree that government should probably not be involved in a private business model, but the app ecosystem would not suddenly become the “Wild West”. Android allows side loading, but a majority of apps on Android are on the Google Play Store. Discovery would still be an issue on phones. In fact, a majority of independent developers would probably want to stay on the App Store for this very reason.

I wonder how people discover their apps. App Store / Play Store in app advertising? Or from somewhere else?

I discover mine usually via advertising or I Google for a specific function / type of app.
For me both the App Store and Play Store are a mess when you want to discover new applicable apps.

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
I wonder how people discover their apps. App Store / Play Store in app advertising? Or from somewhere else?

I discover mine usually via advertising or I Google for a specific function / type of app.
For me both the App Store and Play Store are a mess when you want to discover new applicable apps.
If I want something really specific — vacation planner or recipe app or whatever — I google “best x iOS app” and take a look at the results.

If I want something more generic — a particular kind of game (solitaire, mahjong, etc.) — I’ll search on the app Store.

If I just want something to kill some time, I might browse categories on the App Store.

I think I’m pretty set for apps at this point, though.

Reactions: dk001

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Maintenance and longevity seem to be outside of the scope of what Apple can offer with the App Store.

Will it be the best place for your app to make money? Yes. Sure.

But with Apple removing apps that are over two years old without updates (including games), sideloading to make these games or apps available wouldn’t be a terrible idea.

Some of the apps I sideload on Android are for exactly that: no longer offered in the Play Store.
Pretty cool option IMO.

visualseed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2020
Apple is an American corporation, and thus is subject to prevailing state and federal laws, which include the Sherman Antitrust Act, Federal Trade Commission Act, and the Clayton Antitrust Act. Nobody was forced to use Microsoft Windows. Or Kodak Cameras.
While they may be subject to these laws, the courts have frequently ruled their behavior doesn't violate them. In fact, for the last several decades, the courts have been reluctant to side with the government in all but the most extreme cases of antitrust and, even then, the rulings and penalties have been rather mild. There will probably never be another AT&T style breakup and even the Microsoft wrist slap two decades ago would be unfathomable now.

There are enough pending cases in the various courts that there is very decent chance that corporations may soon get constitutionally ensured equal protection under the law on par with individual citizens, just as they got first amendment rights under Citizens United. If that happens, the government loses almost all its targeted regulatory authority. Only broad regulations that affects every business in a similar position equally would be allowed and Congress would have to quit making laws that specifically target one business sector and close carveouts for specific industries in existing laws.

Last edited:

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
While they may be subject to these laws, the courts have frequently ruled their behavior doesn't violate them. In fact, for the last several decades, the courts have been reluctant to side with the government in all but the most extreme cases of antitrust and, even then, the rulings and penalties have been rather mild. There will probably never be another At&T style breakup and even the Microsoft wrist slap two decades against would be unfathomable now.

There are enough pending cases in the various courts that there is very decent chance that corporations may soon get constitutionally ensured equal protection under the law on par with individual citizens, just as they got first amendment rights under Citizens United. If that happens, the government loses almost all its targeted regulatory authority. Only broad regulations that affects every business in a similar position equally would be allowed and Congress would have to quit making laws that specifically target one business sector and close carveouts for specific industries in existing laws.
Certainly it's the the role of the courts to adjudicate the antitrust cases brought to them by the Federal government. By precedent corporations already enjoy equal protection under the 14th amendment. That does not contravene any existing antitrust laws.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
The government should stay out of this. Why are they bother getting involved?
Because they need money. Many governments around the world are looking for additional sources of revenues due to the pandemic. Apple, being one of the richest company is an easy target. They can get something through fines and whatnot from some arbitrary laws they will make.

If the government were truly concerned about competition, they would’ve jumped in way long time ago when Windows Phone and WebOS were still around.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I’d be ok if they restricted sideloading by default, but then offered a way to disable the restriction if desired. Then it’s your own fault if you download something stupid.
It’s not that simple. Apple is so huge today that their brand is highly valued. Allowing anything that can ruin a consumer experience, intentionally or not, can be a negative effect on that brand value. In the end, when things go south, a consumer will simply look at the logo on their phone and it’s Apple. They will associate their bad experience with the Apple brand.

How do you think people have the mindset of Windows being associated with viruses and malware? We know that most of the time, it’s not Microsoft’s fault, but the brand of Windows has been tarnished (to the point that Apple exploited that way back). The Windows logo/brand is what people see and they will associate anything bad within it to that brand.

Apple will protect their brand value at all cost (what makes you think people willing to spend $1000+ on phones? It’s that Apple logo). Control and vertical integration is part of their efforts to do so.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Couple of items on that ...
1. Not all Android versions (talking device OEM) allow sideloading
2. Depending on the version, wading through the sideloading can be a mess

Would love to see Google simplify the basic sideloading function.
Side loading is very easy on Android. All you need is a website to host the APK. Once a user downloaded it, the system will simply ask if the user want to allow the app (in this case the browser) to install the app, and it’s just a tap of switch away.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
The Federal Register is now open to comments from the public about competition in mobile app ecosystems. The information gathered as part of the investigation will be used to inform President Biden's competition agenda later this year.
This is great they’re taking input from the public. I just left a comment. I urge others to do the same.

FYI- I said in my comment that I am pro-closed ecosystem because I don’t want an app that I need, to be only available in some third party app store that I don’t trust to value my privacy, which would pretty much inevitably happen.

visualseed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2020
Certainly it's the the role of the courts to adjudicate the antitrust cases brought to them by the Federal government. By precedent corporations already enjoy equal protection under the 14th amendment. That does not contravene any existing antitrust laws.
They don't quite have full equal protection under the 14th. They have some, but the courts have sidestepped rulings that would have given them full protection as individuals have. The domino effect of making that distinction would gut the scope and power of regulatory administrations. Tangentially, Axon v FTC may end the practice of the FTC self-ruling on antitrust issues, specifically mergers and acquisition, outside the courts which will be a big deal for almost every regulatory agency. Also last year's ruling in AMG v FTC ended the FTC's ability to seek equitable monetary relief as an enforcement tool. This means they can't pressure companies (freeze assets, place under receivership, etc) into settlements over the threat of investigating alleged violations that they will also rule on. For now, the FTC will work around it by handing cases off to other agencies and state AGs, but they will have to use the courts and deal with less than certain outcomes and costly appeals.

Last edited:

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
They don't quite have full equal protection under the 14th. They have some, but the courts have sidestepped rulings that would have given them full protection as individuals have. The domino effect of making that distinction would gut the scope and power of regulatory administrations. Tangentially, Axon v FTC may end the practice of the FTC self-ruling on antitrust issues, specifically mergers and acquisition, outside the courts which will be a big deal for almost every regulatory agency. Also last year's ruling in AMG v FTC ended the FTC's ability to seek equitable monetary relief as an enforcement tool. This means they can't pressure companies (freeze assets, place under receivership, etc) into settlements over the threat of investigating alleged violations that they will also rule on. For now, the FTC will work around it by handing cases off to other agencies and state AGs, but they will have to use the courts and deal with less than certain outcomes and costly appeals.
Good points. The AMG vs FTC ruling will likely be overcome with new legislation that addresses the shortcomings identified.

As for equal protection, I'm not sure why you think expanded equal protection for corporations would hamstring existing antitrust regulation. If memory serves there's been at least one high-profile antitrust case where a corporation used equal protection as a defense, which was dismissed not on the grounds the corporation didn't enjoy equal protection but that the Federal government had significant discretion in choosing the selection criteria by which it brings antitrust cases. If I can remember the case I'll post back.

Regardless of whether I can remember the case, equal protection has very specific criteria and doesn't exclude some situations that intuitively we think it would or should. A simple example is our progressive tax system.

Reactions: visualseed
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.